Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Isadelia
Isadelia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Okay, it seems that I misunderstood how to handle the custom columns but I found the solution and everything works perfectly now, thanks a lot for your work !
Isadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you have metadata management set to automatic, it should do the shelf setup the next time you connect. The card has to be in the Kobo when it is connected. But, with "a few thousand books" on the card, the driver will take a while to do this. I'm pretty sure it will be faster than doing it manually.
Thanks, works!
And a hint for others who might want to try this, it is a BAD idea to create something like 2000 shelves. Takes forever (over 30 minutes) to go to the shelves menu!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Thanks, works!
And a hint for others who might want to try this, it is a BAD idea to create something like 2000 shelves. Takes forever (over 30 minutes) to go to the shelves menu!
LOL

That was why I decided to add my own custom columns as opposed to using values from the existing Tags!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks, works!
Ouch! When I warned about performance, I was thinking of the driver creating and maintaining the shelves.

From my experiments, the shelf related performance on the Touch is related to the number of shelves and the total number of books on them. So ten shelves with ten books each will be roughly the same as five shelves with twenty each. I think the most I have had was about 300 shelves but there were about 400 books on them. Most shelves had less than ten books, but a few had over 100. Performance wasn't to bad, but I found that number of shelves impractical.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadelia View Post
Okay, it seems that I misunderstood how to handle the custom columns but I found the solution and everything works perfectly now, thanks a lot for your work !
Glad you solved it, but I could you tell me what you did. I can't quickly see what you probably did and I would like to make sure someone else doesn't do the same thing.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #21
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From my experiments, the shelf related performance on the Touch is related to the number of shelves and the total number of books on them. So ten shelves with ten books each will be roughly the same as five shelves with twenty each.
No, can't confirm this, but I am really not sure.
Right now I have my 4000something books in 23 shelves, everything is fine.
Before I had over 2000 sehelves, and it did not work (in time). But then again, when I had 2000 shelves books were into 4 or 5 shelves each, now in just 2. But the time differences is enorm, over 30 minutes earlier compared to 5-10 seconds now...
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #22
Isadelia

Quote:
Glad you solved it, but I could you tell me what you did. I can't quickly see what you probably did and I would like to make sure someone else doesn't do the same thing.
I first used my custom columns with the green tick, and didn't work, so I changed my custom columns and put text instead, and now it's perfect

However, I noticed one weird thing, when I reconnect the Kobo, some books are unmarked (=not in the device), and same in the device list (but they are in th Kobo !)
Sorry for my English, I put an image to show you and I make myself clear :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #23
WS64

Quote:
Empty shelves can be automatically deleted from the device.
That does not work for me (and others on the German forum), at least not all the time.
What worked: When I had my 2000 shelves and then changed the settings to just have 23 the remaining 1900something empty shelves got deleted.

But, when I changed some settings on books and this resulted in empty shelves the shelves got not deleted.

My suspicion is, the driver does not check for empty shelves on the device but in the library, but I made no tests to check this since right now I have the problem that it takes very long with the new driver until Calibre has counted all my books. (More then 6 minutes, that was not that long with the old driver)
I mean that if there are books in the library that would be in a shelf this one does not get deleted on the Kobo even though no books on the Kobo do not fit in. But I may be wrong here...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
WS64

Isadelia, do you use the metadata plugboards and maybe did not follow this:
Quote:
Metadata plugboard. If you are using a metadata plugboard with the current driver, you will need to create a copy of this for the new driver. As the most common plugboard is to add the series information to the title of the books, if this is not done, books already on the device might not be matched correctly with the library.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadelia View Post
I first used my custom columns with the green tick, and didn't work, so I changed my custom columns and put text instead, and now it's perfect
Ok, you used a Yes/No type column instead of a text column. I can see how to fix that so there isn't an error
Quote:
However, I noticed one weird thing, when I reconnect the Kobo, some books are unmarked (=not in the device), and same in the device list (but they are in th Kobo !)
Sorry for my English, I put an image to show you and I make myself clear :
From the screenshots, WS64 is probably right. The book titles on the device look like a plugboard was used when the book was sent to the device. You need to make sure you are using the same plugboard now.

If you don't want to use that plugboard, if you send the book to the device again, it should fix it.

The alternative is that it is not actually the same book. If you put the book on the device by some other method than calibre, the driver cannot match it to the copy of the book in the library. calibre and the driver do attempt to match the books, but it needs an exact match on title and author.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That does not work for me (and others on the German forum), at least not all the time.
What worked: When I had my 2000 shelves and then changed the settings to just have 23 the remaining 1900something empty shelves got deleted.

But, when I changed some settings on books and this resulted in empty shelves the shelves got not deleted.

My suspicion is, the driver does not check for empty shelves on the device but in the library, but I made no tests to check this since right now I have the problem that it takes very long with the new driver until Calibre has counted all my books. (More then 6 minutes, that was not that long with the old driver)
I mean that if there are books in the library that would be in a shelf this one does not get deleted on the Kobo even though no books on the Kobo do not fit in. But I may be wrong here...
Removing the empty shelve makes no reference to the calibre library. It runs two SQL statements against the database on the device. My tests just now confirmed that the removal is happening correctly.

The simple reasons I can think of for empty shelves not being removed are that metadata management is not set to automatic and the remove empty shelves option is not selected. I'm sure you have checked, but I have to make the statement.

Other than that I can't think of a reason for this to happen. So, some questions.

What change did you make to the books when you expect the shelves to be deleted? After this, you disconnected the device, let it start and then looked at the shelve list and there were some with zero books? Have you reconnected and disconnected since? Did anything change?

The only other thing I can think of is that the device is handling shelves for books and on the SD card differently than the main memory. I know I did some testing of that, but I'll have another look.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
(More then 6 minutes, that was not that long with the old driver)
The performance hit is the shelves. I need to revisit the bit that removes books from shelves and see if I can speed that up.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm going to get the Glo soon. I'm still on the PRS-T1. I read through this whole topic and I would like to know if there is actually any need to create these shelves or is this just a function to have more comfort? The only think I would want to do is, sending all my books to the Glo with Calibre and have them sorted like they are now on my T1: From A to Z. Is that possible or does it require more work?

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't know the Kobo-Firmware.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
Isadelia

Unhappy

Quote:
Ok, you used a Yes/No type column instead of a text column. I can see how to fix that so there isn't an error

From the screenshots, WS64 is probably right. The book titles on the device look like a plugboard was used when the book was sent to the device. You need to make sure you are using the same plugboard now.

If you don't want to use that plugboard, if you send the book to the device again, it should fix it.

The alternative is that it is not actually the same book. If you put the book on the device by some other method than calibre, the driver cannot match it to the copy of the book in the library. calibre and the driver do attempt to match the books, but it needs an exact match on title and author.
Thank you for your answer !

They are the same books, I only use Calibre to send the books to the Kobo (which was previously empty).
I've got this on the plugboard :
Code:
 {series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}
with : epub/any device (instead of "Kobo", because it didn't work)
I previously used this plugboard to display series titles on my Sony PRS-T1, and I had to put "any device" instead of "Kobo" to make it work with my Kobo.
I don't know how/what to change in the plugboard, so I sent the books again, deconnect, reconnect to Calibre, and the same books are unmarked, they are all series, but some series are marked normally both in Calibre and Kobo
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Thanks for reminding me about this. Yes, uninstall it. I would do it before installing the new calibre release. I don't think it will break anything, but I don't know which version of the driver calibre would actually use.
David,

suppose someone upgraded Calibre to the latest version before reading this how would he go about fixing it? Uninstall and re-install Calibre? How could one check what version of the driver is running? Any change in the settings page, maybe?

[Edit]
I went to the advanced settings and searched for the Kobo driver. Both the beta one and the new, Glo and Mini enabled, one were there so I just disabled the beta plugin for good measure. Anything else I should do or check?
[/Edit]

François

Last edited by frankieGom; 10-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo