Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Retirement?

I just turned 55. In 10 years, I go on Medicare. In 12, I semi-retire and in 15, I'm done working. Ghod, I feel old!

My question is: What the fark do retired people do?

Besides sit in the kitchen and watch the Weather Channel?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Read man. Read. I can't wait for a good five hours of reading a day. Drinking tea by the fire.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Read, play with cats, walk dogs, volunteer at local shelter/rescue organizations, annoy friends & family by constantly complaining of too much time on your hands, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
My plan is to sell the house, buy a small truck and camper, throw away the alarm clock and GO!!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Volunteer in general... I do Meals on Wheels 4 days a week as a driver / delivery person (was doing it 5 but it interfered with other volunteer duties).

Most volunteer organizations are in desperate need of people who will make a commitment to them.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I just turned 55. In 10 years, I go on Medicare. In 12, I semi-retire and in 15, I'm done working. Ghod, I feel old!

My question is: What the fark do retired people do?

Besides sit in the kitchen and watch the Weather Channel?
You could build P.D. E-books, like Crutledge.

Go to some place warm and garden...(See the movie Young Lions)

And finally.....(drum roll)....enjoy the pretty girls as they walk by. (As Maurice Chevalier signs Thank Heaven for Little Girls in the background of your mind...)

Or you could spend the rest of your life walking VR...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm 68 and still working and it's largely because I don't know what to do when I stop.

Maybe I should hang out at Hooters and drink beer and think about girls.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I'm 68 and still working and it's largely because I don't know what to do when I stop.

Maybe I should hang out at Hooters and drink beer and think about girls.
See? That's what I worry about! I've been working since I was 13 and don't have any hobbies that will keep me active and i just do not want to fade away...

Maybe I should take up rugby.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
When I retire I'm going to record my music and write the Great American Novel. No plans for rugby at the moment.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tidewater through the eyes of a tourist. Visiting the Chrysler Museum of Art and the zoo in Norfolk more frequently. Taking walks with the dogs and letting them show me the way back home. Taking some local classes for geezers. Maybe getting active again in the local Unitarian Church.

Above all, I'm looking forward to regular sleep and the restoration of my circadian rhythms, which have been damaged from years of working a four-day graveyard swing shift Thursday night through Monday morning.

I'm 62, so it shouldn't be long now.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
See? That's what I worry about! I've been working since I was 13 and don't have any hobbies that will keep me active and i just do not want to fade away...

Maybe I should take up rugby.
Fishing? (Like Grumpy Old Men)

Or maybe you should pay the laddie at the door and ask him?

(Surfing in Hawaii? You don't have to take on the big waves...)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

In all seriousness, Pshrynk, retirement is about doing what you choose. It's a lot like being very rich, it magnifies your virtues and your vices as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
pshrynk

I am working on getting the scratch needed to get a sailboat sufficiently large that we can be living aboard when we take her out and sink her in the Caribbean. I hope. To. Have one in Lake Pepin for a few years and then move it to Florida.

I'm also looking for a cribbage club locally so I won't be underfoot all the time.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Just enjoy yourself! You obviously like to read and use computers, you can fill up days that way. See your friends/family more often, make new friends.. the list of occupations is endless. Above all have fun with no deadlines apart from those you set yourself.

The father of a friend of mine when asked what he did now that he was retired used to say: "Nothing and I don't like being interrupted."
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
After being forced into early retirement due to cut backs. I have now been retired for just over a year. Based on this limited experience I would simple say life is too short to create elaborate plans - take things as they come and try and do what you and your family enjoy doing. Live your life. You never know what is coming around the next corner.
In the last year, I have never been bored - in fact there is too much to do.
I would also recommend - If offered early retirement - take it and enjoy your life.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am working on getting the scratch needed to get a sailboat sufficiently large that we can be living aboard when we take her out and sink her in the Caribbean. I hope. To. Have one in Lake Pepin for a few years and then move it to Florida.

I'm also looking for a cribbage club locally so I won't be underfoot all the time.
If you want a challenge, you might try Duplicate Bridge.

In all seriousness, you've spent all your life with your values being set by external sources. You are looking at a period when there are no external sources to set your values.

You need to spend some introspection time, to determine who you are and what you (and not somebody else) wants to accomplish. You have time to do this with before you retire, which is a good thing, and you are starting to think about it, which is also a good thing.

As for me (I'm about 6 months older that you are), I'm going to scan a P.D. book a month, shoot the alarm clock, garden, and spend some of the winter time where it's warm. And read, play M.U.L.E., watch a movie a night, listen to music, help with the rose society, enjoy a glass of wine every evening, and take a nap wherever I want (naps are wasted on kids...).

And I'll worry about what to do with my spare time...

That's $300 - pay Red on the way out...