Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Any really big readers/tablets coming out any time soon?

I mean big like 15-17". The new Toshiba 13,3 is probably OK, but too small for my use. I want it for comic books and real newspapers ites, and I want the big format comics to be natural size and then some. I have an Notion Ink Adam now, and the 10" screen is very good for much, but not for surfing full size web news papers, the ones that are made for modern PC's. Will there be anything like that any time soon, or did my ship sink with the Kno?
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Not that anyone has heard. The market for 9.7" e-ink readers is weak already.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Yes, almost nothing new even in 9.7". They are way too expensive in production and costs a lot from retailer ~400$ while you can buy 6" e-book for ~100$. So imagine how much will cost 15-17" e-ink.device. I know there were LCD tablets 11-13", but for bigger size you have only laptops.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Thanks, but actually I'm not thinking about E-ink, but LCD teknology, or preferably OLED. Which is way I said reader/tablet. Anything that can be used to read comics and surf news sites in full size. I guess E-ink isn't really an option until they have larger screens with full colors, so I can see the comic books in their natural colors.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
would a laptop with the rotating screen work, or do you need it to be lighter weight than that? I happen to have a wide-screen laptop because that's what my husband found. It doesn't rotate or do anything fancy like that but I'm hard on things so it's better for me if it doesn't kwim? I'm trying to think of where I was reading about it and all that's coming to mind is the monitors that are responsive, so . . . hrm.
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Well, I do have a couple of very capable laptops, but my wife refuses me to bring them to bed, even just to reed. So I need something that's only a screen...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

I read with my asus Transformer in bed with the night lamp off. But my wife complains that the Tablet light is distracting.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Thanks, but actually I'm not thinking about E-ink, but LCD teknology, or preferably OLED. Which is way I said reader/tablet. Anything that can be used to read comics and surf news sites in full size. I guess E-ink isn't really an option until they have larger screens with full colors, so I can see the comic books in their natural colors.
If you have good enough eyesight, you can read a newspaper at full width on an iPad 3 without zooming in. The limitation is what you can read, rather than what the screen can display. I read papers like the Washington Post and International Herald Tribune without problems.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

insync44, distracting when you do what? Anyway try lowest setting of the light and screen filter, it's barely visible then. But the Transformer is far too small.

MurrayPaul, yeah, you can. But like I say I want to be able to read big comic albums in their original size, and that means at least 15".

So I guess the real answer is "not yet, and don't hold your breath", huh?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
In another thread here it has been posted that Toshiba has just announced a 13" tablet:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175072

Is this something you would like?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

You didn't read my first and original post in the thread, huh?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I think you may want to wait for a while for the release of LG e-paper, it is an LCD that is lighter and I think this it is gonna be big !

Last edited by tablettweet; 04-13-2012 at 03:40 AM.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Very cool, thanks! That may be interesting in a couple of years, when they will probably make it color. I do not need crazy update speeds since I don't play games on a tablet, and I don't watch video (if it's less than 55" I won't watch a movie on it!), so that can be a contender.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Quote:
Well, I do have a couple of very capable laptops, but my wife refuses me to bring them to bed, even just to reed. So I need something that's only a screen...
Dang. As a life-long sufferer of insomnia and with a husband who can sleep through everything I tend to forget that other people can't have a laptop in bed. I know, the bed/bedroom is supposed to be distraction free for insomnia, but that theory never panned out for me personally so it's better if I can do something that is distracting.

And, I know it's not out yet and not the right size, but have you seen the new Nook with the light? Would that be enough light to read by if you weren't reading a comic? Our B&N doesn't even have one in the shop for anyone to see despite it's signs.

For some people it's the light that's distracting, for others it's the physical typing or whatever, so if it was a light issue, a big tablet or eink reader that needs a light end up being the same distraction level for the partner kwim?
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #15
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
So I guess the real answer is "not yet, and don't hold your breath", huh?
I certainly can't think of anything that is available now, nor the near future. I'm still shocked (but pleased) that Toshiba came out with a 13" screen.

Maybe an hdmi projector you can attach to your tablet? Doubt your wife will allow that though...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote