Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
pinn
pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Paperwhite
Books dissapearing from library

Hi,

Im a new user of calibre and it's mostly working just as I'd like.

One thing though, I had updated a lot of metadata on my library and to ensure all changes were reflected on my reader (PRS 600) I deleted the files on the device. I then resent all the books. To my annoyance I noted that a lot of books had gone from my library too.
When I looked on my HDD, the folder was entact and had the cover in but the book was in the recycle bin. So I had to readd the books and then delete the duplicates.

Any idea why this happened?

A final thing, I have 3/4 books which work perfectly fine on my PC, but when transferred to my reader have a blank cover, and when opened give a page error message. I have deleted and reconverted but the issue persists.

Thanks
pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
... To my annoyance I noted that a lot of books had gone from my library too. When I looked on my HDD, the folder was entact and had the cover in but the book was in the recycle bin. So I had to readd the books and then delete the duplicates.
You could have turned on the option: Preferences|Add/Save|"If books with similar author and title found ..." and Calibre would have automatically sorted and put the books into the existing records without the need to delete or merge anything.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
pinn
pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pinn can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanks, so if I had that option checked and just cleaned up the author's name in my library, this would then merge those changes with the file on my device?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn View Post
Thanks, so if I had that option checked and just cleaned up the author's name in my library, this would then merge those changes with the file on my device?
That option has nothing to do with your device. It has to do with what happens when a file (pdf, epub, mobi, txt, etc.) that is not in the library is added to the library. With default settings Calibre looks only at the title of the book (same title it asks if you want a duplicate record, different title, it adds it as a new record.) With the option turned on, Calibre looks at the author (and the format) in addition to the title. If the author and title of the new file closely match an existing book record, Calibre will put the new file into the existing record, if it can.

In your case, you indicated that you ended up with duplicates when you added files to Calibre. Turning on the autosorting option would have prevented that.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-16-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
pinn

Got it. Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Got it. Thanks
You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't help with your other questions.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi,

When I looked on my HDD, the folder was entact and had the cover in but the book was in the recycle bin. So I had to readd the books and then delete the duplicates.

Thanks

To my knowledge, Calibre does not use the Recycle bin.

So?
Do you look at your Calibre Library with some other reader software?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
To my knowledge, Calibre does not use the Recycle bin.
Mine does.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
a file ending up in the recycle bin means at some point you deleted it from calibre. This can happen if you used the send to device and then delete from library action (or set that action as default). Click the arrow next to the send to device button to check.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Mine does.
Don't have delete when sent enabled, that is why I never saw it used.
AFAIK, deleting a format, does not behave this way.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Don't have delete when sent enabled, that is why I never saw it used.
AFAIK, deleting a format, does not behave this way.
When I delete an entire record, the entire Calibre library folder is moved to the Recycle Bin (Windows). When I edit metadata and delete a single format, that single format is moved to the Recycle Bin. I vaguely recalled that there was an option to set Calibre to do this (or not), but I couldn't find it with a quick look. I've never tried the delete upon send option.