Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What's the best way to complain about errors?

When I read on my Kindle, I highlight errors as I find them. If it's a self-published book, I send the clippings file to the author once I've finished it. Most authors respond positively, and fix the mistakes (and in at least some cases, find others and fix those, too).

I'm less sure what to do when the book has been published by a traditional publisher. The one time I tried to contact a publisher (to tell them that I wanted a book, but wasn't prepared to pay more for the Kindle edition than the paper edition), I found it really difficult to find the right e-mail address to use.

I recently finished Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik, and found that it has some really bad mistakes. I'm guessing that they're due to the publisher giving less love to e-book versions, but whatever the reason, I'm really unimpressed, and I'd like to let the author and/or publisher know. So far, I've only really tried to contact the author, since if the mistakes are due to e-books getting less attention, she's probably not aware of the issue, and I'm assuming she will care more than the publisher.

So, how do I contact the author and/or publisher? What's the best way to find contact details for them? The best option I could find for the author was Twitter. I tried tweeting her, but haven't received a response.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I looked her up on wikipedia, which has the url to her website, which includes a contact page.

Good luck with the feedback.

edit: I like your idea of using the clipping file.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 11-21-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I looked her up on wikipedia, which has the url to her website, which includes a contact page.
I found her website, and her contact page says:
Quote:
The best way to contact Naomi is to pose your questions via Ask Naomi! Also feel free to join her on LiveJournal, Facebook & Twitter!
Unfortunately, the Ask Naomi page has two sample questions, and a promise that "answers for the April questions will be posted here, in this section, in early May!". I figured that was a non-starter, hence the tweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
edit: I like your idea of using the clipping file.
It seemed like the easiest way. I like the idea of helping authors fix their mistakes, but I don't want to spend lots of time on it. I find this way is reasonably painless.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Alas, authors seldom have any influence with their publishers in situations like this. Even if Naomi sends her publisher a list of corrections (which she may be unwilling to do because she would then risk acquiring a reputation as a 'difficult' author), I'm not sure how likely they would be to act on the problem.

My recommendation would be to complain directly to the publisher.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I contact the publisher and the author wherever possible. Every imprint that I know of has a "Contact Us" link on their web page. If the author has an online presence, I CC them so they can get involved if they so choose. But definitely the publisher, at least. They're ultimately responsible.

I only notify anyone if the errors truly affected my reading experience, though.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have written publishers and have yet to get a response beyond a whining message about how tough their job is.

I have put some publishers on my untrustworthy list and won't buy a book from them unless I've read the sample and found it to be acceptable.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have written publishers and have yet to get a response beyond a whining message about how tough their job is.
I don't notify them with the expectation of getting a response. Me getting some attention isn't the point. The ebook needs the attention.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If it is a book you purchased from Amazon, do let Amazon know about the errors. They will often make the ebook unavailable and make the publisher fix the errors when they get reports of badly formatted/OCRd books.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
avantman42
Wizard

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've e-mailed the publisher (HarperCollins) and Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I only notify anyone if the errors truly affected my reading experience, though.
I probably wouldn't bother if there weren't so many. This is the worst one:

Quote:
and I hope you will permit me to suggest, Wilberforcewritten had
Quote:
I don't notify them with the expectation of getting a response. Me getting some attention isn't the point. The ebook needs the attention.
My main concern is that the book gets fixed, though it would be nice to know when it gets fixed, so that I can ask Amazon for an updated copy of the file.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
My main concern is that the book gets fixed, though it would be nice to know when it gets fixed, so that I can ask Amazon for an updated copy of the file.
If a new, fixed (revised) version of a purchased book becomes available, Amazon will email you with instructions on how to get the newest version.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
If a new, fixed (revised) version of a purchased book becomes available, Amazon will email you with instructions on how to get the newest version.
This is a definite maybe.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am wary of complaining to Amazon because I heard that if you complain too many times, they will lock your account. For Kobo purchases, my standard well-oiled routine is to load the book onto the iPad, take screenshots of pages with errors and attach the image files to my Kobo customer service complaint. When I don't attach screenshots, the process takes longer because the usually lazy reps claim they cannot find the errors and ask me for further clarification. I find that when I submit a proper package with everything spelled out very clearly and unequivocally, I get a much swifter response.

I do get a cheerful refund whenever I complain since the errors are clearly not my fault, and I have thoroughly documented them. However, in most cases I would prefer to simply have an error-free book. I am not sure yet who the best person is to get that for me, so I settle for a Kobo refund so at least I myself am not out of pocket for a shoddy book
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #13
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
For Kobo purchases, my standard well-oiled routine is to load the book onto the iPad, take screenshots of pages with errors and attach the image files to my Kobo customer service complaint. When I don't attach screenshots, the process takes longer because the usually lazy reps claim they cannot find the errors and ask me for further clarification. I find that when I submit a proper package with everything spelled out very clearly and unequivocally, I get a much swifter response.
I included the error that I included earlier in the thread - that's the most blatant error, and even the most incompetent editor should have spotted it. I highlighted it while I was reading the book, then copied & pasted it from the clippings file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I do get a cheerful refund whenever I complain since the errors are clearly not my fault, and I have thoroughly documented them. However, in most cases I would prefer to simply have an error-free book. I am not sure yet who the best person is to get that for me, so I settle for a Kobo refund so at least I myself am not out of pocket for a shoddy book
I got a response from Amazon in about 2.5 hours, offering a refund if I wasn't able to use it. I didn't bother with the refund, since I've read the book. I'm not happy about the errors, but accepting the refund would have felt like I was taking the proverbial, since I did read the book.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
This is a definite maybe.
What do you mean? People get notified by Amazon all the time when new versions of their purchases are available. If they don't get notified... there's probably no new version available.

Are you suggesting that ebooks are being revised and Amazon's not always notifying people? How could that even be verified?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In my experience, if the author/publisher/whoever actually UPDATES the book, you always get notified.
If they are clueless, and upload a new copy under a different ASIN, and delete the old copy from Amazon sales lists, you don't. Understandably. Amazon can't tell it's the same book.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote