Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Split PDF pages into smaller pages (images into tiles)

I have PDF files that are maritime charts, For example this one from the Delaware Bay
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletC...art_HomeEd.pdf

There is a lot of detailed information in the image. When I show them on a monitor the details are shown. When I put them on the Nook they are sized to fit the Nook screen (about 3*5) and all the details are lost. Since the Nook pdf reader does not have a zoom feature, the charts are unreadable.

I'd like to convert them to fit on the Nook screen(600*800px). This means the images would need to be sliced into multiple images. (ie a single image (page) would get split into 5 rows and 4 columns) In a perfect world they would get converted with a slight overlap, left to right, top to bottom. I could then page through the smaller slices to find the section I need.

I had used PaperCrop in the past to convert two col PDF's (highly recommended) but it can't do anything with the images. I've found tools that will convert the pages to images but not split them. ImageMagick does a lot with combining images, but I didn't see any split options to split the image into tiles.

Windows program preferred.

Thanks!

(OTOH if someone has a PDF reader for the Nook that does zoom, that would be a good solution also)
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
oh my, this sounds a daunting task that I cannot even imagine to take on. I seriously think the nook is not a very good choice for what you want to read. Do yourself a favor and get an iPad or a Kindle DX - I have tons of scanned Chinese PDF documents also waiting there just for DX to drop to sub $200 level.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
oh my, this sounds a daunting task that I cannot even imagine to take on. I seriously think the nook is not a very good choice for what you want to read. Do yourself a favor and get an iPad or a Kindle DX - I have tons of scanned Chinese PDF documents also waiting there just for DX to drop to sub $200 level.
Sounds daunting but there are 1000's of programs out there, one or two that wil do what I want, I just need to find them. I'm in the pre-wheel stage. I think that someone has done what I want already. If not, in a few weeks I'll write a script to rip apart my charts and magna to be readable. And I'll invent that wheel that we need. And put it out there for others to exploit.

But if some bright spark has done the work, I'd rather heap praise on their efforts rather than mine.

We should stand ON the shoulders of giants, not on their toes. Move forward to the efforts of others and spark them on.

Put the wish list together and see's who bids. Someone that takes my specs and delivers in 2 months vs 6-8 month of B&N fluff will win.

Trook wins-some problems, but they can fix it, and I could help. nookLauncher wins, some problems but it wins in the marketplace. It's all about adapting the device to my needs. If I can get 5 of the 11 things I want for $149 then I win over buying an iPad. If someone makes 11 out of 11 work for $149 then it's a hugh win for us.

Software is cool, adding functions to well thought out hardware. The hardware guys for the win, since they built multi-extensions into the system. OS soft guys to make it robust, App soft guy to make it work. And soon you go "well Miss Martha, my noon now does ..." and its a good thing.

Hardware is made to be exploited. Look at the Apple ][, and the PC. $500.000 industry grows into a trillion dollar marketplace with some software. Apple did it, IBM did it, Nook can do it. At this point the Nook is a book reader that can shift your paradigm. Look out B&N, we are shifting to new ways, come along for the ride, shake that paradigm and make some money.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
jennyChrist81
jennyChrist81 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
The way to make the pdf files smaller is to split the PDF files into small number of files, i.e select the page from the large PDF file and split the selected page into new PDF file.
To split the large PDF files you should go for a third party tool like PDF split tool. This tool works for large PDF files and split the PDF files into small PDF files by giving page range as the input to the tool and output will be the PDF file containing the selected page range. There are n number of PDF split tools in the market, but i can suggest you a best PDF tool which i choose from the bundle of the PDF split tools.I use this tool oftenly and my friends and colleagues also use this tool in there daily routine.They are very please from this tool.
You can use SysInfoTools PDF Split. Try this tool and you will surely satisfy with its features and will surely be able to make your pdf files smaller.

http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/pdf-split.html
jennyChrist81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@deroyce: You did notice that you were responding to a thread that was last posted in on July 28, 2010? Just a hair shy of 10 years ago. And to push a commercial program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread_Necromancy_07.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	179873  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
image split, pdf converson