Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
dlmartin6
Debra L Martin
dlmartin6 doesn't litterdlmartin6 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Between my co-author and I, we end up cutting lots and then adding more back in in later drafts. We don't usually love a book until about the 5th draft.

Deb
dlmartin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Five drafts sounds about right. This one went through about three or four before this latest savaging (Some of the early chapters have probably been rewritten over a dozen times).

I'm down to 83k now, and hope that's the minimum. I've cut it down to bone is some places and will need to flesh it back up.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Actually, I think I need to add about 15k to draft 2. .. I'm at 62 now, which is down from the 65 I had in november. But, I want to have 80 by the end of June. Which won't happen, especially with JuNo coming up.
What's "JuNo"?

Pardon my ignorance.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Sometimes it is good to work on the assumption you're writing more than you'll need. I think film producers do this, then they have a 'cutting room floor' for all the stuff that didn't make it. Sometimes that ends up on a DVD, usually not. It was expensive to make it but you just can't know beforehand what will make it in the final cut. Well, I can't anyway. So writing tons and cutting works for me.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 AM   #20
ASparrow
Addict

I ended up with 87k out of the 185k I started with. Now, the thing I worry about is not necessarily "did I cut too much?" but "is it it long enough to be a novel?" 87k seems a little short to me, but then again, its written mostly in first person, present tense so maybe it needs to be short. Any material I add would likely be internal monologue or back story.

As for the stuff I left on the cutting room floor - long may it rot.
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

87k? What is that in words. Sorry, I may seem old fashioned in this but you can change the size of the file by storing in different formats, even simple text can be stored in double byte chars which would presumably double the size of the file without changing the word count. I usually shoot for 100k words because that feels right to me. But shorter is fine. Actually with eBooks pretty much any length is fine. My wife is somewhat prolific and her books would have to be expensive to print, but this is never an issue with eBooks (okay, with a little imagination I guess several GB would be a problem, but they aren't that long!)

I found some of my own stuff was really short (about a page) when I was into a minimalist phase. I collected a bunch of them into a single eBook. That was quite satisfying.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Parkinson View Post
87k? What is that in words. Sorry, I may seem old fashioned in this but you can change the size of the file by storing in different formats, even simple text can be stored in double byte chars which would presumably double the size of the file without changing the word count.
I assumed that Sparrow meant 87,000 words (not 87kb file size)? Was I wrong?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #23
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I assumed that Sparrow meant 87,000 words (not 87kb file size)? Was I wrong?
87,000 words. That's correct. I suppose that's where it will stay, as everything that needs to happen already happens in the story, it seems to me.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #24
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Do you guys generally save what you cut in a separate file? I usually do when I cut big chunks out, because you never know when you could use it (in an altered form of course) in the future for another book.
Yes, I do, because if I didn't save it I'd wake up in the middle of the night convinced that it was the best thing I'd ever written, and I'd made a dreadful mistake deleting it.

As it is, I file it away carefully and will probably never look at it again Though I do make some available as an "extended edition".
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #25
Roger Parkinson
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
87,000 words. That's correct. I suppose that's where it will stay, as everything that needs to happen already happens in the story, it seems to me.
Duh! I'll catch up eventually. I assumed an invisible 'b' after the 'k'.
Sounds like your editing is done, must feel good.
But did you specifically target 87k words? Why that number?
(We've just been watching 'Monk' and, if you know the show, you'd know Monk would insist you took it up to 90k, but preferably 100k)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #26
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Parkinson View Post
Duh! I'll catch up eventually. I assumed an invisible 'b' after the 'k'.
Sounds like your editing is done, must feel good.
But did you specifically target 87k words? Why that number?
(We've just been watching 'Monk' and, if you know the show, you'd know Monk would insist you took it up to 90k, but preferably 100k)

No, I didn't target 87k and that's why I'm nervous. When Lethe was up at 185k my target was getting it down to 125k, and then as I kept cutting I told myself I'd stop at 100k. But I kept going, all the way down to 84k before building it back up a bit. I'm hoping my Beta readers can help me identify some holes or gaps that need filling with some new writing.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #27
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Good on ya!

Drives me crazy when characters dilly-dally without advancing the plot or the writer tells me what they're doing every minute of the day. Sleek is great!

Last edited by TC Beacham; 06-01-2010 at 12:58 PM.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #28
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My first draft is always a little lean, mostly action and dialogue. So I always add descriptions and sometimes whole scenes in my second draft, sometimes up to 7000 words. Then in the third draft, I cut adverbs and other little excesses, around 1000 words.
But I've never written a book longer than 95,000 words. Whenever I cut whole chunks, I save them for possible future use.
L.J
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #29
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My second book was 80k and I cut it down to 70k, and I thought that was a lot at the time. It was mostly exposition on how things worked in my fantasy world that basically turned one of my main characters into little more than a walking tour guide. Once these sections were removed she became a better character for it and the story's pace picked up tremendously. I can't imagine cutting as much as you did, though; For me that'd be like finishing a book, typing "The End" and then dumping it.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #30
David McAfee
Live from East Tennessee
David McAfee began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
The real question is this: have you ever ADDED a ton when editing?
The first draft for 33 A.D. was only 57K words long. the published version is 93K.

I write that way on purpose. I usually just set the bones of the story down, then flesh it out later.
David McAfee is offline   Reply With Quote