Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
DerekTheGeek
DerekTheGeek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Device for Safari Books Online? Does it exist?

Hi All,

I have a subscription to Safari Books Online. As most of you know you have to be online to read the contents of Safari Bookshelf. I find that my Tablet PC is just too heavy and awkward to sit and read throughout the house. What I am looking for is a device that I could use to read the Safari Books Online content.

Here is what I need ...

1) WiFi is a must
2) At least 7" screen (1024x768)
3) Web Browser

I find the eBooks devices (Sony, iLiad, et c..) have very readable e-Ink displays. Do any of these devices have web browsers that can be used for Safari Books Online? It is important to note that Safari Books Online does have a mobile version of their site so a browser does not need to support flash, though it would be nice if it did so. I have used various Tablet PC's but I found their form factor just to big and heavy for long term reading. In addition in most cases the LCD is very tiring on the eyes. Hence my desire to find an e-Ink type display.

Thank you for any suggestions.
DerekTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
The Kindle DX does have an experimental web browser... but I don't think it would support the Safari Bookshelf yet (if ever).

But still, it's the only eInk device with a web browser I know of.
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
DerekTheGeek
DerekTheGeek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the reply "angelbleu" ... The web browser I need to use to access Safari Books Online does not need to be very sophisticated. Safari has a mobile version of their site where 95% of the books are available. That being said the Kindle DX does not have WiFi and uses Sprint's data network which is no-existent in my area.

From all the information I have gathered I think the best device for me would be the iRex Iliad. It has WiFi and can run the Minimo browser. I am not a Linux guy so I am not sure how difficult it is to install. Some screen shots that peoples have sent in look nice, however, others have posted that the text is to small. If the new Barnes and Noble "Nook" had a web browser I would buy it right away.

I think I have to resign myself to the fact that the device I am looking for just does not exist yet.
DerekTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Safari Books Online - Kindle DX

angelbleu,

I don't have a Kiindle DX, but the links below indicate that the DX does work with Safari Books Online and their pdfs.

http://getsatisfaction.com/oreilly/t...azon_kindle_dx

http://support.safaribooksonline.com...toO3RudHqcSeVI
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote