Old 07-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
Pixel-Error on my Reader :(

Hi

I just discovered a pixel-error on the screen of my Reader

It's in the upper right corner app. 1cm from the right and 1cm from the top.

It's dark when it should be white and white when it should be dark.

Strange thing...

Did anyone notice such a pixel on other Readers yet?
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

I have the same thing, on the opposite corner (bottom left). It's been like that since soon after I got the reader but doesn't seem to be getting worse.
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Virtually all LCD screens have one or two "dead" or "hot" pixels; I'd guess that eInk screens are the same. Just the luck of the draw.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have also one pixel in the middle of the screen that stays black.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
MacBeezle
Zealot

The funny thing is that the pixel doesn't just stay black but is kind of inverted.

When I do a page refresh the pixel goes "white" just like it's part of a displayed character.

I know dead pixels in tft displays. But these e.g. always stay green.
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps an error in the "controller" for that pixel? I suspect the Sony won't consider it a fault to have one faulty pixel. You've got 479,999 others .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
MacBeezle
Zealot

Since I live in Germany and bought the Reader from bhphotovideo I don't think I have a warranty whatsoever. :/

It's just that I'm afraid the "dead" pixels will spread^^

The one I discovered this morning definitely wasn't there last week!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeezle View Post
The funny thing is that the pixel doesn't just stay black but is kind of inverted.

When I do a page refresh the pixel goes "white" just like it's part of a displayed character.

I know dead pixels in tft displays. But these e.g. always stay green.
I have the same and it stayed with that one pixel.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I had what I thought was a single dead pixel [actually inverted pixels] on my reader, and then I grabbed a loop to see the screen in much more detail.

I have found four inverted pixels after a detailed sweep of the screen. They are probably 1/20th of 1mm in size or smaller, so they are extremely small, like micro-fine specs of dust. I only see them if I am reading PDF material formatted with very small fonts. I guess it doesn't bother me much.

I honestly don't think Sony would touch this problem unless it was a larger issue, like more bad pixels all over the place.

2 cents,
F.

Last edited by flamaest; 09-16-2007 at 04:30 PM.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote