Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Grahamk
Grahamk doesn't litterGrahamk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo One
Converting epub to mobi

I'm thinking of getting the Kindle 3 but, my concern is with the conversion of Epub to Mobi using Calibre. Does it convert properly? Has anyone had any conversion problems I should be aware of? If so then I would go probably go with the Kobo wifi as there seems to be more epub books avaialble.
Grahamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Generally speaking conversion works pretty well. The issue is that epub uses current html standards, while mobi is using a bastardized version of html 3.2. This means that there could be things in the epub that don't convert well to mobi.

The most common issue is margins - Mobi doesn't really support them except through nesting blockquotes, and the Kindle handles this more poorly than pre-Kindle generation mobi renderers. What that means is for a lot of epubs you need to disable margins completely (a Calibre option on mobi output), and indented blocks of text will probably become un-indented if they just used margins/padding. I've generally switched to using blockquotes in my epubs in case someone converts it to mobi down the road, but not all epub creators do this.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Grahamk
Grahamk doesn't litterGrahamk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo One
Thanks for your reply, but I'm still confused. Are you saying that it will look weird when converted. Do you have any pics.
Grahamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It will look fine but not 100% the same. If it's using advned formatting it will not come over into the MOBI file.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote