Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #26731
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Currently reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. Pretty good!
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #26732
AgedAngel
Clueless
AgedAngel will become famous soon enoughAgedAngel will become famous soon enoughAgedAngel will become famous soon enoughAgedAngel will become famous soon enoughAgedAngel will become famous soon enoughAgedAngel will become famous soon enough

Device: Android tablets with Pocketbook app
Quote:
Finished R. F. Delderfield's wonderful Long Summer Day, the first book of his A Horseman Riding By trilogy.
I haven't read Delderfield in a long time, so I found this hint intriguing. I read the first couple of pages of "Long Summer Day" using Amazon's "look inside" feature, and decided to take the plunge again.

Currently, I'm reading Robertson Davies' "The Deptford Trilogy", which I read years ago (and therefore probably missed a lot of). Had to get it in a dead trees edition because Amazon seems woefully unimpressed with Davies' work. The Folio Society edition I'm reading is illustrated with full color tarot-card-style impressions of the events of the novels...and are enough to give one nightmares.

In my humble opinion, "The Deptford Trilogy" is one of the classics of 20th century fiction. It's a pity that it languishes in such obscurity.

My inch-through-it-one-paragraph-at-a-time project is "Dereliction of Duty", by H. R. McMaster (ebook). It's an analysis of what got us so deeply into that Tar Baby called Vietnam. Very dense reading, not to mention disillusioning and discouraging...hence, "inching through". (The government really played that fast and loose with people's lives? I should be surprised?)

I've been reading a lot of Stephen King recently. I'm not overly taken with his "horror" horror, but his borderline stuff, even including "The Stand", is very good. Wonderful thing about King: from the first paragraph, I know I'm in the hands of an accomplished storyteller, and that he won't let me down with cheap tricks or hand-waving. I enjoy his asides and quirky sense of humor, too. ("Hearts in Atlantis", I should mention, is a true gem.)

AA
AgedAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 12:58 AM   #26733
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
After finishing R. F. Delderfield's A Long Summer Day, a bit of a break back to a nice, simple, murder mystery. Well, OK, maybe not so simple, since it's P.D. James. Currently reading her 6th Adam Dalgliesh book, Death of an Expert Witness, while listening to a Jack Campbell Fantasy of no particular merit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #26734
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedAngel View Post

In my humble opinion, "The Deptford Trilogy" is one of the classics of 20th century fiction. It's a pity that it languishes in such obscurity.
It had been decades since I devoured Robertson Davies, until last summer when I listened to the entire Salterton trilogy and the first of the Cornish trilogy, all read by the incomparable Frederick Davidson. Once I finish the Cornish books I'll move on to Deptford (his masterwork), which isn't available as an audiobook which might be just as well.

I think of Davies as the greatest Canadian author, but I've seen assessments that describe him as old hat and obviously he's been somewhat obscured by the lustre that attaches to Margaret Atwood.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #26735
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It had been decades since I devoured Robertson Davies, until last summer when I listened to the entire Salterton trilogy and the first of the Cornish trilogy, all read by the incomparable Frederick Davidson. Once I finish the Cornish books I'll move on to Deptford (his masterwork), which isn't available as an audiobook which might be just as well.

I think of Davies as the greatest Canadian author, but I've seen assessments that describe him as old hat and obviously he's been somewhat obscured by the lustre that attaches to Margaret Atwood.
I read Fifth Business as part of the reading list for a CanLit course 45 years ago - the prof presented him as the peak of CanLit. Atwood and Munro were only starting to get established at that point. Sadly, I don't remember much of the book; for me, that semester was all about the joys of Dickens, Trollope and Thackeray.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #26736
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, a more recent purchase, Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks his second in the Night Angel series.
This book suffers from "sophomore blues." Not much going on until the second half and then a few surprises. However, I was having difficulty keeping track of everyone and that lowers my enjoyment. Rated C [3 stars].

Next TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:56 AM   #26737
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished R. F. Delderfield's wonderful Long Summer Day, the first book of his A Horseman Riding By trilogy. This was a wonderful examination of Edwardian England, with the majority of the story taking place in Shallowford, a rural valley in Devon, but with the forces from the Suffragette Movement and the looming war with Germany impacting even this protected valley.

The story centres around Paul Craddock, a city-bred Lieutenant invalided out of the Boer War with a near fatal injury, who takes his inheritance from a scrap metal yard and buys a thirteen-hundred-acre estate in rural Devon that has been allowed to run down and become rather derelict. As the new squire, he knows nothing of farming, but through hard work, and the generous application of cash where (long) needed, turns around both the estate and the lives of his tenant farmers.

While the principal story revolves around rural England, Craddock and Shallowford aren't divorced from the forces shaping England and the world in the Edwardian Era. It essentially starts with the coronation of Edward VII (1902), and ends with the coronation of George V (1911), and encompasses the rise of the Women's Suffrage movement, substantial changes to the tax code by the Liberals, and the increasing naval might and militancy of Germany.

This is a wonderful example of R. F. Delderfield's ability to tell a story about people, places and times. The writing is elegant without being frothy, and always a delight. As Books and Bookmen says: "It is always a pleasure to read R F Delderfield, because he never seems to be ashamed of writing well". This was an absolute delight, and goes right up near the very top of books I've read this year. Highly recommended.

ETA: There is an Audible version, but it's no better than so-so. Really, I'd suggest sticking to the eBook. It's KU in the US, and only £3.99 in the UK. And worth every penny.
Thanks for recommendation. I just purchased for $1.99 in the U.S. (Amazon)

Last edited by mlewis78; 12-29-2017 at 04:06 AM.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #26738
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Stiff by Mary Roach. Very interesting, entertaining even.

Now reading The Rebels of Gold by Elise Kova.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #26739
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I read Fifth Business as part of the reading list for a CanLit course 45 years ago - the prof presented him as the peak of CanLit. Atwood and Munro were only starting to get established at that point. Sadly, I don't remember much of the book; for me, that semester was all about the joys of Dickens, Trollope and Thackeray.
Well, joys indeed! (And I've revisited all three gentlemen this past year, so that's a recent reaction.) I'd be curious to know what other than Davies featured in a CanLit course of that era. Here I'm showing my ignorance; I can only think of Margaret Laurence as fitting into that time frame. Not counting Lucy Maud, of course.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #26740
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, joys indeed! (And I've revisited all three gentlemen this past year, so that's a recent reaction.) I'd be curious to know what other than Davies featured in a CanLit course of that era. Here I'm showing my ignorance; I can only think of Margaret Laurence as fitting into that time frame. Not counting Lucy Maud, of course.
There wasn't much to work with in 1972. Other than Davies (Fifth Business was basically hot off the press then) , I can vaguely recall E.J. Pratt, Morley Callaghan (Such Is My Beloved), Sinclair Ross (As For Me and My House) and Mordecai Richler (The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz).
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #26741
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Checked out a paper version of Patrick Modiano's Nobel Prize Winner Missing Person. I'm finding it very atmospheric so far, though I suspect that I am losing something in the translation.
Finished this and quite enjoyed it. 4/5 for what is likely my last book of the year.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #26742
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
TNext up: F&SF, Nov/Dec 2017
Which was an enjoyable issue.

Then I read A Pig of Cold Poison by Pat McIntosh. The seventh in her Gil Cunningham series set in mediaeval Glasgow.

Most enjoyable, and I even got the main solution early on, although not all the details, of course.

And now I'm reading The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss. Subtitled "A Bit of Fluff", I'm hoping for a quick, fun read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #26743
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Decided it's time for some time travel.

First Epiphany Of The Time Vandal
by Harry Bowling

Just getting into it but it seems good so far.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #26744
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I finished my last book of the year, The Scarlett Pimpernel, which was an exciting historical fiction tale set during the French revolution.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:04 AM   #26745
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss. Subtitled "A Bit of Fluff", I'm hoping for a quick, fun read.
Which I'm abandoning. Just not to my taste, unfortunately.

Next up: Not sure.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote