Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Did anyone else's Amazon home page change from

A big Kindle ad to....a big Kindle for iPad ad?

I've gotten so used to seeing the Kindle ad I thought something was wrong
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
interesting... wonder if they are going to get out of the hardware business after all.

or they could just be bragging they've got a better selection than the iBook store...

they have a new amazon app for the iPad, very nice.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
interesting... wonder if they are going to get out of the hardware business after all.

or they could just be bragging they've got a better selection than the iBook store...

they have a new amazon app for the iPad, very nice.
I'm wondering if I just got this because I downloaded that app for my iPad..but, then why market it to me again?

(And yes, they really do have a nice selection..much easier to browse too)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My husband's and my computers still pull up the Kindle ad on Amazon's home page. I've downloaded the Kindle app; he hasn't.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Still Kindle for me.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I think they check the device you use to visit their site. iPad with Safari = Kindle for iPAd
Home PC with IE = Kindle Add
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Still Kindle, and there's a plug to try 'Your Amazon Browser', which seems to be a customized version of Windows Internet Explorer 8. I'm on a Mac, however, somehow I doubt it would work... <g>
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
They've had the Kindle for PC etc. on the front page at times too, so nothing new.

They're a book store first, as illustrated by putting Kindle Apps on so many devices. Doesn't meant they're getting out of the hardware business when they make a profit on every Kindle sold.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
They're a book store first, as illustrated by putting Kindle Apps on so many devices. Doesn't meant they're getting out of the hardware business when they make a profit on every Kindle sold.
This is exactly right, they are happy to make the money on kindle hardware, but are clearly not going to let minor things like hardware choice hamper their ability to flog people stuff. I am quite surprised they don't have an android app out yet and at some point you have to assume that the hp purchase of webos will encourage a kindle app for that as well.

Last edited by Crowl; 05-14-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Still Kindle, and there's a plug to try 'Your Amazon Browser', which seems to be a customized version of Windows Internet Explorer 8. I'm on a Mac, however, somehow I doubt it would work... <g>
Wow, that's a great idea. Every website should make their own browser! I'm so excited to have hundreds of different browsers with built-in malware. </sarcasm>

Their developers must be really bored, or out of other good ideas.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
No... they probably just realized that people who already bought an iPad to begin with won't be getting a Kindle... so might as well salvage that by getting them aware of the app... at least.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Wow, that's a great idea. Every website should make their own browser! I'm so excited to have hundreds of different browsers with built-in malware. </sarcasm>

Their developers must be really bored, or out of other good ideas.
actually rebranded copied of IE are nothing new. a lot of OEMs stick their names on IE, ISPs too.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
No... they probably just realized that people who already bought an iPad to begin with won't be getting a Kindle... so might as well salvage that by getting them aware of the app... at least.
Exactly.

As I said above, they're an e-book store (and general online store for tons of stuff) first, hardware company second.

They want to sell Kindles as they make a profit on them and have been doing so even with being slow in price drops relative to other e-ink devices--including Sony who's their main competitor.

But they want to expand the Kindle store market and get people locked into their Mobi DRM more than anything else.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
For anyone with an iPad outside the US who doesn't want to get a second US iTunes account, the iBooks app is not available but both the Kindle and Kobo apps are and fully functional.

Advantage Amazon and Chapters/Indigo.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote