Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Are multiple levels (hierarchies) supported in eReaders

Hi, I own a Sony 505 and Sony 300. One feature that I would really like is the capability to view my books through a bit of a hierarchy i.e. I would like to look at James Patterson's books and under his name see the different series he writes and under the series see the actual books. Another choice might be to look at Alistair MacLean books and split his out by great books vs his fast reads (i.e. early books vs his later books).

Does anyone know what eReaders allow this type of navigation? I can easily set it up in Calibre but I need the eReader to support it. Thanks.........Jackie

PS I saw the add-on for the 505 that let you browse folders. I have 1400 books for my 505. I didn't like the idea of having to copy a book from the external card to internal memory each time I opened it. I was also concerned about whether I would lose my support for viewing via categories as well as author across all books stored on both internal and external media.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most Readers support "folders", which is what you are looking for. The only exceptions I am aware of are the Sonys, the Nook, and the Kindles. There is a row on this (Folder Navigation) in the E-book Reader Matrix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have a Sony 600 and I don't know of any way to do this, unfortunately.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I have a Sony 600 and I don't know of any way to do this, unfortunately.
"Collections" kind of do it.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
"Collections" kind of do it.
But you can't have a collection inside of another collection
Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
You could try looking at this thread if you don't mind messing about with the reader a bit.

I haven't tried this one yet, but the comments on the thread seem mostly positive and it does seem to add the ability to handle and display folders to the PRS-505.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
But you can't have a collection inside of another collection
True, but why buy a Sony at all if a folder-based file system is an important issue? There are lots of devices which do have it, so it seems a little strange for someone to buy a Sony if they need folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but why buy a Sony at all if a folder-based file system is an important issue? There are lots of devices which do have it, so it seems a little strange for someone to buy a Sony if they need folders.
Good question. I don't know the answer, though. I personally don't care, I don't have as many ebooks yet as the OP.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Actually in my case I have owned the Sony 505 for almost 18 months. For the first 17 months I didn't need the folder support. My library has now grown to the stage (1500 books) where I would like two levels of hierarchy and I was trying to figure out how to get it. It looks like PRS+ is my only choice if I stay with my Sony. I could give my 505 to someone in my family and buy a new ereader. Just checking into my choices if I do that. I now know that it is "folder" support that I need to look for if I want two levels (series within collections for example)...........Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's right. Folders work just like they do on a PC or a Mac, and allow you to arrange your books in whatever "tree" structure you wish. Pretty much every device on the market supports them except Sony, Kindle, and nook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote