Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
YepYep
YepYep began at the beginning.

Device: none
prs-600: questions on font support and price

Hi there,

After reading this website for quite a while, I'm still not sure how e-readers, and in particular the Sony PRS-600, support fonts. A large amount of the pdf's I read have characters like the ones you see in the attachment. I.e., with strokes above vowels and dots underneath consonants (also note the 'superscript c'). A font like Gentium supports all of this, so if the primary font does of the device does not support it, is it possible to change the font?

In addition, I would love to hear your input on the price of the PRS-600. Do you think 400CAD is fair? Do you think it might drop in the near future? Should I wait for a next generation of devices anyway? Your input is much appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	39697  
YepYep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
YepYep

Well thank you all for your enthusiasm Maybe the question is tougher than I assumed. Anyway, I called up Sony and their official response is that the font cannot be changed. Haven't looked into any hacks yet, who knows.. I did buy a SD-card, so I will put some books on it and take it with me to the store. Let me know if you're interested in an update on that.

Also, I still appreciate any comments on the price vv. future releases! Let me hear what you think of the current prices.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I suspect your original post got buried but see the link to a thread that may give you some answers.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28447
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by YepYep View Post
A large amount of the pdf's I read have characters like the ones you see in the attachment. I.e., with strokes above vowels and dots underneath consonants (also note the 'superscript c'). A font like Gentium supports all of this, so if the primary font does of the device does not support it, is it possible to change the font?
If the font is embedded in the PDF, then this should work ok. One way to test this would be to try Sony eBook Library under Windows or on a Mac. At one time this was an exact emulation of the PRS-700, and it should still be very close for PDFs to the PRS-600.

I don't know if there is a way to add fonts to the PRS-600 device itself for PDFs. The threads I have seen on this apply to LRF fonts and (separately) to ePub fonts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The fonts should work in PDF format (I have the Sony PRS-505); I have stuff with both the vowel length marked by lines and the dots underneath (in one of my Intro to Sanskrit files, it is a text based PDF, not scanned) and it shows up with no problem on my reader; however, when you use reflow it might reflow a little wonky. Other kinds of embedded text, such as Greek, etc. work as well.

Hope that helps. If you are really concerned, you can send me the file and I can try it out on my reader and upload a picture.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
YepYep

great stuff out there people. Great stuff, but it's geared towards the 505, does all of this also work for the 600? (or would you suggest getting a 505 anyway?)

Latinandgreek, this is just the kind of hands-on experience which I was looking for! No need for a picture I think, I'll just check it in the store tomorrow, we'll see.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm pretty sure that the 600 can handle it if the 505 can, but if it isn't a problem check just to make sure. If you don't need the ability to write notes or use the dictionary function, then I DO suggest the 505 - it is a fantastic reader, and you might be able to find it on sale. Some people like the 505 better than the 600 as the screen has less glare, but to each his own. Some people on MobileRead have bought theirs at Target for as low as $70 on clearance not too long ago. It's probably a long shot, but it is worth checking out the stores in your area or perhaps even calling them to see if they have the 505 on clearance if you are interested. Best of luck!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote