Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #271
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I'm going to guess neither considering the new H2O looks to be a product refresh to bring it up to par with the Aura One. To the best of my knowledge no Kobo supports Bluetooth
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #272
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
usbotg or bluetooth?
I don't see a setting menu for Bluetooth, and as a rule Kobo doesn't support USB host.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #273
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Any ideas about how well you can do highlightes on it, compared to Aura ONE and the older Aura HD and H2O?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #274
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'm going to guess neither considering the new H2O looks to be a product refresh to bring it up to par with the Aura One. To the best of my knowledge no Kobo supports Bluetooth
A safer statement is no current Kobo supports Bluetooth. The original Kobo had Bluetooth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #275
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
A safer statement is no current Kobo supports Bluetooth. The original Kobo had Bluetooth.
Are you sure about that last part?

The original Kobo did not even have Wifi. Sure it had BT?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #276
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

http://the-digital-reader.com/2010/0...deo-australia/
Quote:
Bluetooth

As you know, the Kobo ereader has Bluetooth, and you can use the Bluetooth to transfer files.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #277
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
that just goes to show I have literally forgotten more ereader info than most people will ever know.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #278
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Officially I think the Bluetooth was for integration with BlackBerry phones, but one could also do transfers from other devices such as a PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #279
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did say to the best of my knowledge, though I appreciate the information.

I wonder just how functional that first Kobo's Bluetooth would be today, likely it would transfer files but probably not anything more such as keyboards
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #280
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Any ideas about how well you can do highlightes on it, compared to Aura ONE and the older Aura HD and H2O?
Ultimately this is going to come down to an individual person/device basis. Having helped many people with eink devices I can say there are some people who get a better response from the same device than others do. The only patterns I've noticed are that people with long fingernails will have issues (even if they use a knuckle instead of a fingertip, and the elderly, and even with those patterns there are enough exceptions that I wouldn't say there's a causal relationship between them rather that there are some correlation factors at play.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #281
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
By this pic in Goodereader it have the new home screen, but it is doesn't mean that all the devices will get the new home screen.
Everyone will get the new home screen with the next firmware release. Kobo have made some changes with what it being displayed, but I still don't like it as much as the old one.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-03-2017 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quoting
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #282
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I probably won't get one. I never seem to use the one I have. It's partly because of the annoying port cover, but it's also bigger and heavier than I like.

What I really, really, really want is an upgrade to the original six inch Aura. An improved screen would be much appreciated, waterproofing would be nice (with no port cover), the new lighting options sound interesting, and more storage is always a good thing. I love the size, the shape, and the flush screen of the original Aura -- so much that I'd even buy one with no improvements at all. I do have a couple of Ebay spares but I guess they'll eventually die of old age even if they haven't been used; I charge them occasionally but I'm still mostly using my first one.

I like new toys so in the years following the release of the Aura I've gotten several more ereaders: H2O (nice but too big), Glo HD (perfectly fine but missing the flush screen and more perfect proportions of the Aura), Nook Glowlight Plus (ok, but boring and I hate the feel of the bezel), Kindle Voyage (bad two-toned screen), and Oasis (unstable and always gives me the feeling that it was designed by a committee). I prefer Kobos in general because of the customization options.

I do occasionally use the Oasis but over the past several months I've probably done at least ninety percent of my reading on the Aura; it just seems so perfectly designed that I can't believe it's been abandoned.
i'm with you

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #283
MGlitch
Wizard

I've just now read the goodereader review

They contradict themselves in the review. One of the first things they say is that Kobo has just released their best ereader. In the closing remarks they say the Aura One is the best. They also say tat the device excels at reading ePub and PDF then state that PDF reading is problematic. They're also confused and think you're locked in to the Kobo ecosystem despite the built in storage not being partitioned
Old 05-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #284
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I've just now read the goodereader review

They contradict themselves in the review. One of the first things they say is that Kobo has just released their best ereader. In the closing remarks they say the Aura One is the best. They also say tat the device excels at reading ePub and PDF then state that PDF reading is problematic. They're also confused and think you're locked in to the Kobo ecosystem despite the built in storage not being partitioned
So par for the course then.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #285
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Eeyup. It paired happily to my Blackberry phone. The next model traded in Bluetooth for WiFi.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote