Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #106
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
After transferring your stuff to your new computer, boot from the Mac OS install disk or USB stick (or recovery partition, but I find having a USB stick more convenient). Run Disk Utility, select the drive, go to the Erase tab, click Security Options, choose "write a single pass of zeros" (multiple passes are pointless). Then click Erase, and wait... Then re-install Mac OS X.

For an iPad, just go to Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Content and Settings.
Thanks, sumguy.

Re Mac, since I'm currently running on a pre-Lion Mac, I thought I'd ask because most OS X Lion users won't own a OS X Lion USB stick and I wasn't sure if OS X Lion could be completely reinstalled directly from their recovery partition, or if any user data might end up in recovery partition.

Essentially in the past the way I'd clean old Mac and move to new Mac was: back up old Mac to external drive using Time Machine, startup from Mac OS installation disk (now it would be USB stick or recovery partition) and use disk utility to erase old Mac's internal drive (now not the entire drive but just the user partition if running disk utility from the recovery partition, and I agree single pass of zeros is sufficient) then reinstall the OS onto internal disk (now the user partition), startup from internal disk normally and create a demo account on old Mac if necessary, sell old Mac, buy new Mac, use Migration Assistant on new Mac to transfer stuff to new Mac from the Time Machine backup on the external drive.

Re iPad, I'd somehow missed seeing or forgot about that "Reset" menu way down at the bottom in Settings.

Thanks again.

Last edited by unboggling; 06-29-2012 at 05:40 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #107
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I think it's pretty clear now that for college purposes, the MAC would be a sure-fire choice.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #108
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
I think it's pretty clear now that for college purposes, the MAC would be a sure-fire choice.
Well, going PC or Mac is a complex decision, and either way works. I'm generally biased toward Mac but I understand many people comfortably use and like their PCs, including me in the past at various times. So it mostly comes down to budget and personal preference.

Kind of like with cars. Any running car will get me where I'm going. I've had a lot of cars. My favorite was a 5 year old used Camaro RS in the 1980s. The most comfortable car I ever owned was a 20 year old used Mercedes in Germany. My fastest sleekest car was a new Nissan 300ZX, which a few months after purchase crashed at 100 mph on the Audubon. The clunkiest was an old used VW bug. It's not easy to say which was the best car, because my needs changed over time, all had pros and cons, they were of various ages and various engineering quality, they were in different environments. But I sure liked that Camaro.

I think my niece had a Mac craving before the subject even came up.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-03-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
It seems far from clear to me. The $1000 she could save by going for a mid-range Windows laptop could probably be much more usefully spent for a cash-strapped student.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #110
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It seems far from clear to me. The $1000 she could save by going for a mid-range Windows laptop could probably be much more usefully spent for a cash-strapped student.
While it is true that students are perpetually cash-strapped, a laptop is something that most of them will use daily and will often take with them to the library, classes, trips home, etc., so portability and battery life are often a priority. It is also something that isn't purchased very often (by students at least), so it stands to reason that they would want something that would last through their time at university, and thus they may want something with a bit beefier specs. I personally don't have a problem with spending more than the average laptop costs when purchasing one, seeing as I use it several hours a day.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #111
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
... thus they may want something with a bit beefier specs. I personally don't have a problem with spending more than the average laptop costs when purchasing one, seeing as I use it several hours a day.
I agree. I think many people, perhaps even most people, have a tendency to buy a computer with significantly better specs than what is actually needed. The industry promotes this, through rapid technological change combined with hype.

Back to cars. I bought a new Suburu Forester a few years ago when I wanted to replace my 15 year old bottom-of-the-line Nissan pickup, which I could have had fixed for a few hundred dollars. I don't go off-road, drive much in snow, or live an active outdoors/sports-related life so I don't need the Forester's standard all-wheel drive or cargo space. (I hardly ever used the cargo space on the Nissan either.)

So why did I buy that Forester? I was tired of the Nissan pickup and wanted a change. I saw a Suburu ad on TV and suddenly remembered I'd owned a reliable Suburu 30 years ago and liked it. So I looked at Suburus. I liked the Forester's look and feel. Its color. Its stance. The twin tailpipes on the Forester reminded me of my old Camaro RS. That's all. Not practical specs. Not horsepower. Not all wheel drive. Not cargo space. Not mpg. Not budget. Not cost-benefit analysis.

I venture to guess I am not unique in making buying decisions that way.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #112
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
wow. students in other countries are so advanced ) here, we make do just fine with pen and paper. in fact, i find it works best during classes where i have to draw graphs and essentially be quick when the prof recites instead of writing on the board. besides, most of the profs don't allow laptops in class.

of course, when it comes to doing work outside the classroom, i just use a netbook since all i use are productivity programs like ms office...i couldn't quite figure out why i would need so much power that macs provide. but i hear that apple offers a student discount. is it a substantial discount?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #113
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
wow. students in other countries are so advanced ) here, we make do just fine with pen and paper. in fact, i find it works best during classes where i have to draw graphs and essentially be quick when the prof recites instead of writing on the board. besides, most of the profs don't allow laptops in class.

of course, when it comes to doing work outside the classroom, i just use a netbook since all i use are productivity programs like ms office...i couldn't quite figure out why i would need so much power that macs provide. but i hear that apple offers a student discount. is it a substantial discount?
Here in Croatia I don't see laptops in class either, nor did I see them back when I was doing my B.A. and M.A. in Canada. Many, if not most students working in the library have them, though. Now, though, I feel like every student brings a laptop to class in Toronto.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #114
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Here in Croatia I don't see laptops in class either, nor did I see them back when I was doing my B.A. and M.A. in Canada. Many, if not most students working in the library have them, though. Now, though, I feel like every student brings a laptop to class in Toronto.
which reminds me of the time my sister went to Singapore for her MBA. this was YEARS ago. anyway, before the first day of class, she received an email telling students to bring their "notebooks" to class. so she did bring hers, except that the email meant notebooks as in laptops. she was the only one in class with pen and paper

personally, i don't like bringing laptops to class. it's so bulky and it's hard to keep up. also, it helps me to focus when i have to write it down by myself. most students end up not paying attention if they can rely on the tech later on.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #115
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
MacBook Air 11" with student discount = $949

Please let me know where I can buy a mid-range Windows laptop for minus $50, I'll take ten!

apple has bought up so much production capacity in china, that other manufacturers are struggling to match their prices, particularly in the "ultrabook" range.

i agree that a brand-new 15" macbook pro is way overkill for 90% of students. but a second-hand macbook air is pretty hard to beat...
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #116
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
wow. students in other countries are so advanced ) here, we make do just fine with pen and paper. in fact, i find it works best during classes where i have to draw graphs and essentially be quick when the prof recites instead of writing on the board….
Quote:
which reminds me of the time my sister went to Singapore for her MBA. this was YEARS ago. anyway, before the first day of class, she received an email telling students to bring their "notebooks" to class. so she did bring hers, except that the email meant notebooks as in laptops. she was the only one in class with pen and paper

personally, i don't like bringing laptops to class. it's so bulky and it's hard to keep up. also, it helps me to focus when i have to write it down by myself. most students end up not paying attention if they can rely on the tech later on.
I think I'd prefer pen and paper in class now too. Good point about focus and concentration while note taking rather than being distracted by tech. I'd definitely want a laptop in the library…. Alas laptops and tablets weren't available when I went to school.

Quote:
...i couldn't quite figure out why i would need so much power that macs provide. but i hear that apple offers a student discount. is it a substantial discount?
I believe Apple's student discount is 10% off, and applies to computer and some apple software. There may be a bigger discount on apple protection plan. I don't know about iPad. I don't think student discount applies to everything available at the online Apple Store.

Quote:
Wasn't that a low-end Windows laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
… i agree that a brand-new 15" macbook pro is way overkill for 90% of students. but a second-hand macbook air is pretty hard to beat...
HarryT and sumguy, you're both repeating yourselves. She knows if she changes her mind she can sell the MB Pro and get something else.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #117
wyndslash
Wizard

just get her a netbook for a fraction of the cost
Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #118
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
That's an awful lot of money to spend on a laptop. You can get a perfectly decent laptop for well under $500 these days. Spending $1000 more seems like needless extravagance.
I used to think so too. But, every single Windows laptop I had pooped out on me after 2 years tops. My sister is using my first MacBook, a 13 inch white MacBook that I got in 2009, with no signs of trouble.

Macs may be expensive initially, but they hold their value well and have a great resale value as well.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I used to think so too. But, every single Windows laptop I had pooped out on me after 2 years tops. My sister is using my first MacBook, a 13 inch white MacBook that I got in 2009, with no signs of trouble.
I've used Dell laptops for years, and have never had a single problem with them. I'd thoroughly recommend them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #120
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post

Macs may be expensive initially, but they hold their value well and have a great resale value as well.
Just to counter that, I know 3 mac owners who have had their mac books die within 2-3 years of purchase. There was also a fairly big issue with a batch of macbooks with NVidia GPUs, Apple offered to replace any that died within 2 years of purchase which didn't help two of my friends who's laptops both suffered the GPU issue just after 2 years of usage.

As for me, my Mac has been fine and still is, but then again so are my windows laptops too. All devices will have a % failure rate, some of us will just be unlucky enough to be the ones making up that number
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote