Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
Pocket Edge 2.2 NEW Firmware

* V1.01
beta pocketedge firmware thanks to ptsenter generosity.
mirror added here.
Updated: added some missing apps and libraries to enTourage's Ermine: Google Maps, Market, Gmail, Talk, Voice Search, etc. based on CyanogenMod 6 gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip.
* V1.01.001 Certain parameters tweaked for better speed. please report back.
Added 10 inch Edge test 1.01.01 Ermine here.
Usual disclaimer: we are not responsible for anything which might happen to your device.
Update via Rotate+Menu on boot, rename to update.zip and copy to sdcard. Should keep your existing settings, and you should be able to revert to stock if things are going wrong.
What does work:
1. All Standard Stock functionality
2. Reported safe. Does not break E-INK apps
3. Can Revert Safely to Stock
4. Nobody borked the device yet by using this rom.
5. Google Apps (except Market, yet), log in youtube app with your user name and password and the google account will be added to accounts.

v1.02
It includes browser updated by javese: browser can present txt files now.
Confirmed to work:
- Voice Search
- Gmail
- Google Maps
Some third-party apps, which used to fail to run or even be installed, can now be installed and run, e.g.,
- BofA
- e-trade pro.
- etc.
Market fails to run as it requires to be provisioned by cell provider. Market fix as in forum can be applied.
Some apps or some functions of them which depends on cell connection, for speech recognition, are not going to run, e.g.,
- Flex T9 speech-to-text function does not work, all other functions do.

Last edited by vicinc; 07-22-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Update regarding gapps
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Some tool from Ptsenter to make apps more compatible with edge. Please test and report.
This is a windows tool.

Quote:
There are a couple of major reasons apps refused to be installed on PE.
1. when there isn't enough space. Installer takes care if it.
2. some missing components of Android - any version of Ermine 1.xxx takes care of that.
3. app prefers to be installed on an external memory (SD card).
It appears to be a bug in Android in this case and the installation crashes.
Examples are Baby Names and Merriam Webster.
This utility fixes the app to allow it to be installed on an internal memory properly.
It's Win utility. It requires apktool to be already installed and functional.
To install just extract directory from the zip.
To run open Command Prompt, navigate to just created directory and submit

apkfixer

(no parameters).

It opens dialog box where one can select <name>.apk in question.
Select the apk, click Open or just double-click on the name, wait a few seconds until dialog box disappear.
There is a new directory <name> under ApkFixer.
Under that directory there is dist directory.
Within dist directory one can find new fixed apk.
Note:
This fix might not work for apps NOT from Android Market because they're often not signed.

Last edited by vicinc; 08-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
vicinc
Guru

Thanks to ptsenter insistence and generosity of Gunnerp245 we are having the dingo source codes here. Hope they are not useless and they will help the rom chefs.

Also PXA168 source code is here.

Last edited by vicinc; 07-11-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: update download links.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
has anyone tested this to see if it works? I know in the other thread no one had come forward...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Hope new mod can add the support to moving apps to SD Card.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
Hope new mod can add the support to moving apps to SD Card.
we have already found the cause and a solution(probably the only real solution) to the problem. It will take more than just an update.zip file to fix it, but you can do it by following kenniminot's instructions that can be found in the ermine tweaks thread... It does require rooting, among other things...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
skaboytd
skaboytd began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital, enTourage Pocket eDGe
My new Pocket eDGe arrived today. I will try it tonight and post my results.
skaboytd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
So this firmware is completely untested? ptsenter (the dev) had stated that his only PE was stuck in hibernation and he was unwilling to use it to test this build. vicinc have you tested this?
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
So this firmware is completely untested?
That's correct.
Quote:
ptsenter had stated that his only PE was stuck in hibernation
I never said that, I said I put it in hibernation just to check how long it's going to hold a charge: after 138.5 hours it still has 22%.
Quote:
and he was unwilling to use it to test this build.
That's correct.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome, Skaboytd!

Are you joining the ranks of our techie crowd??
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru

I wish I could test it, but my PE is borked from messing with build.prop and useless android commander. so could not get a way to restore it. yes. hope ptsenter will cat his partitions so I could dd them to mine, hopefully restoring them to a working device which I can use for testing.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
jmgazer
jmgazer began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Did a lot today, got it this morning, upgraded it to Ermine, upgraded again. Tried it, Market and Gmail apps do not seem to work,I can connect to google and see my Gmail with the browser, but can't connect with the apps.
Really like the PE.

Jim
jmgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgazer View Post
Tried it, Market and Gmail apps do not seem to work,I can connect to google and see my Gmail with the browser, but can't connect with the apps.
Jim
Brave man
Could you elaborate a little bit?
Have any Ermine's standard apps got broken, e.g., Readar, Journal?
You did see Market and Gmail?
Can you get logcat and post here or send me by PM? Thanks.

Last edited by ptsenter; 07-06-2011 at 07:30 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
vicinc
Guru

jmgazer in my notion ink usually I have to clear the dalvik cache to get the market working after an upgrade in recovery mode. I have no idea of how to do this on Edge.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
skaboytd
skaboytd began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital, enTourage Pocket eDGe
I tried the update on a clean 1.6 system. The system seemed to update just fine. Added a lot of the Gapps as well as some HTC apps from the CyanogenMod. The system would allow me to add a gmail account now but would never connect to the Google servers. This problem has happened with other attempts to add the Gapps to the eDGe. I tried the youtube fix and that did allow me to add a gmail account to my system but the market app and gmail app crashed when opened. I ran the golden update and reset the system.

I will work with it more and see what I can come up with. I do have to say to many phone apps in this build.

L8r
skaboytd is offline   Reply With Quote