Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What Authors Own ebook Readers?

Any of the "biggies"?

Any study/stats on this this?

Any of the "smallies"?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Charles Stross
Stephen Fry
Stephen King
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Any of the "biggies"?

Any study/stats on this this?

Any of the "smallies"?
I do, but no doubt I am a smallie.

I am working on changing that, though.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Patricia Briggs has a Sony.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
*sniff* I'm definitely not a biggie, but I would have one if I could afford it. Both for personal use, and for checking how my own ebooks look on one. There's nothing like understanding the full end user experience for creating a useful design (damn, I'm sounding like a software architect, aren't I?).
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I head up the editorial team at a small indie publisher. Although all our paperbacks are covered by digital versions, I know of only two of our hundred or so authors who own an ebook reader, though several read on netbooks. Only one of my fellow editors has a reader and one chap on the technical side. I'm working on it. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I know at least a dozen who have them. No one you'd have heard of.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
*sniff* I'm definitely not a biggie, but I would have one if I could afford it. Both for personal use, and for checking how my own ebooks look on one. There's nothing like understanding the full end user experience for creating a useful design (damn, I'm sounding like a software architect, aren't I?).
I've considered buying readers in the past, also to check the final product of my books. But I don't have any interest in using one myself, and so far I've avoided the temptation when I had the means. Besides, I consider the current crop of readers very unsophisticated, and I'd rather tailor my books to a better reading experience.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I've considered buying readers in the past, also to check the final product of my books. But I don't have any interest in using one myself, and so far I've avoided the temptation when I had the means. Besides, I consider the current crop of readers very unsophisticated, and I'd rather tailor my books to a better reading experience.
Mmmm... I think if you've no interest in _using_ one, then it's a little extreme to get one JUST for the checking concept. I can't comment too much on the sophistication levels of current readers, not having used one - but with the exception of slow page refresh, I haven't heard of much that would bug me. I don't want music or video or even really colour - just easily-readable text on a non-light-emitting screen.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
Moxie Mezcal
Human Fly
Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Mmmm... I think if you've no interest in _using_ one, then it's a little extreme to get one JUST for the checking concept. I can't comment too much on the sophistication levels of current readers, not having used one - but with the exception of slow page refresh, I haven't heard of much that would bug me. I don't want music or video or even really colour - just easily-readable text on a non-light-emitting screen.
I just got my first reader, a Sony Pocket Edition (PRS-300) and I am loving it. Based on your criteria, it sounds like a good fit for you... no music/video, no color, no backlight, no touchscreen causing glare. It's a perfect entry-level reader, and the most affordable of the major widely-available models ($200US).

The best thing in my opinion is the size - just a tad shorter and wider than a mass-market paperback (and a lot slimmer), I find myself carrying it everywhere and I'm actually reading a lot more. Also the battery life is awesome, I've had it a couple weeks and still have about half a charge left still off my initial charge.

The page refresh hasn't bothered me at all - it's not instantaneous, but I'd say it's not much slower than physically turning a page.

Anyways, sorry for going on and on like an infommercial - I just was hesitant myself about getting an e-reader, but now that I have one I am totally turned around. Plus, I have to admit it is nice to be able to check out your own stuff and make sure the formatting is okay - it's certainly helped me catch a few things to fix.
Moxie Mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
What I find more interesting is how many editors and agents own e-book readers. Many that I know transfer manuscripts to reading devices for review.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
What I find more interesting is how many editors and agents own e-book readers. Many that I know transfer manuscripts to reading devices for review.
Oh, brilliant woman, you just gave me an idea! I could get an ebook reader for work...

Moxie - thanks for the suggestion! I'm in Australia, which - if I want support/servicing for an ebook reader, limits me a LOT. Sigh. Sony doesn't sell the PRSs to Australia.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Mmmm... I think if you've no interest in _using_ one, then it's a little extreme to get one JUST for the checking concept.
Agreed, with just the caveat that if I was making my entire income off of writing (and if the livin' was easy), it might be worth the investment (and, I suppose, would be a tax write-off besides).

If I was that concerned, of course, I'm sure I could arrange a small network of device users to use as "first-testers" before I release a book. Each first-tester would obviously get a free book out of it, and I'd get confirmation of a book's working before release.

In fact, if I'd had more issues with released books than I've had, I would probably be setting that very thing up. But generally, as the issues I hear about are few and far between (and usually they are quickly fixed), I haven't felt the need. Larger publishers might disagree.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Darlene Marshall
Darlene Marshall began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300 Pocket Reader
I'm an author who just bought my first dedicated ereader, the Sony 300 Pocket. It was too uncomfortable reading from my notebook.

Darlene Marshall

www.darlenemarshall.com
Darlene Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote