Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
bookstar
Noobie
bookstar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre, formats, Sony 505 reader.

Hello,

Sorry if this has been answered a few times.

I am soon to be getting a Sony 505. I have been trying to make some pre-preparations so that im ready to put content on it as soon as I get it home. I have been playing about in Calibre, I have successfully managed to convert various files to epub and lrf however formatting of text once converted to lrf seems to be a bit on the messy side at times. Can anybody point me in the right direction to a tutorial that would cover the settings in Calibre for the best results on a 505 reader.

So far from reading I have gathered that font size is best at 8. I couldnt seem to figure out how to create a TOC. Im thinking that this may only show up once the file is on the 505 reader (which I dont have yet).

I think the main problem that I am finding, is the fact I dont know what is the best file format to convert from into lrf, if somebody could please tell me what is the prefered format to convert from to get the best formatting results, that would be superb. The most joy I have had so far is by converting an Html book through calibre to lrf, the text formatting was perfect, however im not sure if that was just a one off thing. What would be very handy is a list of links to various conversion tools, for instance I cant seem to find a pdf to html converter.

If all this has been covered in another thread, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.
bookstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I find that the best formats to convert from are HTML and LIT.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
kf6gpe
kf6gpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I've been quite happy going from HTML to ePub (using Calibre). I generally don't use the GUI, though; I've been using html2epub on the command line. I'm sure that Calbre uses that under the hood, since it's all by Kovid anyway.

The forums have a lot of good tips for PDF conversion... but I've had mixed results. I read a lot of academic papers, and some convert better than others. I've largely given up, and just drop the PDFs on the reader; for me it's easier to squint with the occasional small type than spend too much time messing around with different converter applications.
kf6gpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Its just a lot of problems. I m just currently just replacing all my pdf s. Way too much problems, will be keeping the simple ones to read directly on the device. But stay away from them. Bes to get is Lit, HTML for conversions and then LRF and EPUP. Only thing i m dreading is lrf conversions in the future... because lets face it, it will be a dead format as only sony supports it. Eventually we will need something to convert lrf to epup... for the time being calibre doesn t support it... so really prefer to have a lit file as bacup is worst comes to worst and they convert baddly.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote