Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Do you find yourself overspending with your Kindle?

So I've had this used Kindle 1.0 for a couple of weeks, and have already spent quite a chunk of $$ on books for it. I'm having to force myself NOT to click on "Shop in Kindle Store" - but it's really difficult!

I was thinking, wouldn't it be neat if you could give Amazon a $ figure for how much you want to spend during a certain period of time, and when you are about to go over that limit, they could send you a little note (like maybe "Warning! You are about to exceed your self-imposed limit of $20,000,000 per month! Buy anyway? Yes/No").

But till they come up with something like that - is anyone else having trouble sticking to a budget when it's sooooo easy to buy? Any tips for controlling yourself?
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Yeah I gotta be carefull too lol.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Not yet since I got it used and haven't registered it yet! Wanted to read a purchased book left on their first and didn't want to chance it disappearing (got mixed results searching on whether or not it would stay on their when I register it to my amazon account).

But I doubt I'll over spend. I work long hours and have a lot of hobbies besides reading so lack of time will keep me from buying too much. And I plan to grab a lot of free PD books since there are lots of classics I've been meaning to find time to read for years.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
But I doubt I'll over spend. I work long hours and have a lot of hobbies besides reading so lack of time will keep me from buying too much. And I plan to grab a lot of free PD books since there are lots of classics I've been meaning to find time to read for years.
Yeah ... that's what I told myself too ... a few $$$ ago!!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Yeah ... that's what I told myself too ... a few $$$ ago!!
Yeah, but it generally takes me at least a couple weeks to finish a novel as I generally just read a bit before going to sleep. Rest of the day if full of work, social outings, TV, movies, video games etc.

Exception would be win traveling for work, especially if cross country, I'll read a book or two on the plane and in the hotel an nights.
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Actually, the opposite. I find my self getting side tracked by all the free stuff rather than buying/reading what I normally would if that stuff wasn't out there.

In many cases this has worked out and I really liked the books. In others, not so much.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I buy about as much as I did when I bought pBooks but I have to constantly remind myself not to make impulse purchases.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Download lots of free books you want to read. It's harder to spent $10 on a new book when there are 100 old books you want to read just sitting there...
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Yeah, I think an allowance would be a good feature. iTunes does it.
Then I could say "OK I'll spend $30 a month on books". Otherwise, I'll be clicking all the time. So far I've not gone crazy, but my finger is itchy.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by busy91 View Post
Yeah, I think an allowance would be a good feature. iTunes does it.
Then I could say "OK I'll spend $30 a month on books". Otherwise, I'll be clicking all the time. So far I've not gone crazy, but my finger is itchy.
Couldn't you just load up your Amazon account with a gift card or something each month and not let yourself spend more?

Though of course simple self control is the easier solution.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am overspending, but it is on free books, and the overspending is the time I have available to read. I have given up a lot of other things to try and make a dent in all of this. I know all the books were out there before, but they weren't staring me in the face on my TOC. Mocking me as my TOC get longer, and longer, and longer . . .
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I would say that I spend about the same amount of money as I did when buying paper books; maybe a little bit more. They just make it so convenient to buy.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don't worry about what you spend on books. There are plenty of other bad ways you could be spending the dough. Just be grateful it isn't going for booze or drugs or women or dice. Especially women, seeing as how you are a woman and all.... I'm just saying...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Couldn't you just load up your Amazon account with a gift card or something each month and not let yourself spend more?

Though of course simple self control is the easier solution.
Due to so many newer members, let me take this opportunity to again remind you that CoinStar machines don't charge a fee if you get your money back in the form of Amazon gift cards.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Due to so many newer members, let me take this opportunity to again remind you that CoinStar machines don't charge a fee if you get your money back in the form of Amazon gift cards.
Haha! That's how I got my K2!!!
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote