Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How important are page numbers in Kindle Books?
Very important - I tend to avoid those books and forget the author 16 8.56%
Nice to have - I use them if they are there 57 30.48%
Not important at all - get over yourself. 114 60.96%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #256
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
What makes a page number different than any other characters you see on the page?
Very small font. I can see how many dots are filled in, but cannot read the page number.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #257
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
It's much smaller!

Although I can't speak for Sydney's Mom, I find that as I've gotten older I have trouble reading the page number/location/time left to read/etc at the bottom of the page in low light. I also have to adjust my font levels up a size when reading at night. I suppose if I ceded to the inevitable and started wearing reading glasses I wouldn't have any trouble seeing those tiny numbers, but I just can't bring myself to go there. In bright indoor light or daylight I have no trouble, so I'm putting off getting reading glasses for the nonce.
This. I only grab the reading glasses when I am trying to thread the needle on the sewing machine.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #258
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
This. I only grab the reading glasses when I am trying to thread the needle on the sewing machine.
Can I recommend a needle threader?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #259
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OMG, I've done that! (Does it, looks around to see if anyone saw her...)

The other thing I've done is get frustrated, trying to remember a recipe for specific ingredients, and go to search...and then realize, "aw, crap, this is a PRINT book!"

:-)

Hitch
Recently I did something new to me, prepared a book for printing. I had to keep reminding myself 'You ARE in full control of page layout now...'
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #260
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Another difference is that Jon likes ADE pages better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well there is that.
Patently the decider, lads and ladies! :-) We can archive this thread now; nothing left to discuss, lol.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Generic ADE page numbers are basically the same thing as Kindle locations only locations are more specific.
Kindle locations are not anything like page numbers. ADE page numbers are page numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #262
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle locations are not anything like page numbers. ADE page numbers are page numbers.
Jon:

That is a distinction without a difference, and you know it. You are being deliberately obdurate, sweetie.

Hitch
Old 02-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #263
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
No they are not. That is total Bio-Syndrome and you know it, we know it, so give the phracking dead horse a break why don't you?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #264
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Quote:
Jon:

That is a distinction without a difference, and you know it. You are being deliberately obdurate, sweetie.

Hitch
Way back in Post #166 I categorized what I believe are all the different methods of location in a book. ADE and Kindle are what I consider "Byte Methods":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...97#post3293297

Both are just based on the amount of bytes in source HTML file... the only large difference is ADE = compressed, and Kindle = uncompressed.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #265
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Way back in Post #166 I categorized what I believe are all the different methods of location in a book. ADE and Kindle are what I consider "Byte Methods":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...97#post3293297

Both are just based on the amount of bytes in source HTML file... the only large difference is ADE = compressed, and Kindle = uncompressed.
Thanks, Tex.

As I said...SSDD.

Hitch
Old 02-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #266
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I don't particularly care what method is used. Kindle locations, page numbers, percent complete, ADE "page" numbers, etc. They all work for me and 99% of the time are ignored. I just want to read the book.

For references I wish there was a clear way to provide citations across all formats but I don't see it happening in my lifetime. I suppose we can dream.

And since I feel like being snarky right now, , let's try this:
I like Kindle style locations because they work. They are the same regardless of font size, line height & margins. You make a change to any of those and the locations stay the same. It's also the same regardless of screen size. Kindle locations are even the same across different devices. So IMNSHO, Kindle locations are the best location references for eBooks. Oh and they do not require an extra file.

And maybe this...
Kindle locations are not anything like page numbers. Kindle locations don't have the words "page numbers" in them.

Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #267
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I like Kindle style locations because they work. They are the same regardless of font size, line height & margins. You make a change to any of those and the locations stay the same. It's also the same regardless of screen size. Kindle locations are even the same across different devices. So IMNSHO, Kindle locations are the best location references for eBooks. Oh and they do not require an extra file.

Which I believe is also true for epub/ADE page numbers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #268
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Yes, exactly.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #269
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which I believe is also true for epub/ADE page numbers?
That's the point. See the two quotes below. JSWolf's came first in the thread.

Quote:
I like ADE style page numbers because they work. They are the same regardless of font size, line hight & margins. You make a change to any of those and the page numbers stay the same. It's also the same regardless of screen size. ADE page numbers are even the same across different devices. So IMHO, ADe page numbers are the best page numbers for eBooks. Oh and they do not require an extra file (aka Kindle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

And maybe this...
Kindle locations are not anything like page numbers. Kindle locations don't have the words "page numbers" in them.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #270
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only time I'm affected by locations is when a customer wants revisions of an eBook job and quotes page numbers. I then have to start guessing...
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote