Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Hugo Awards - Novel

I know... I know...

So I finished the last of the Hugo novels that are on *my* shortlist (Ancillary Sword, The Goblin Emperor and The Three Body Problem) and I've listened to a couple podcasts of reviewers of the Hugo novels and I'm kind of surprised how different my takes on the novels are from seemly everybody else. I'm torn between Ancillary Sword and The Goblin Emperor and everybody else is torn between The Goblin Emperor and The Three Body Problem.

Anybody else want to convince me that The Three Body Problem needs to be considered more? I had a hard time with it, though in the end I gave it 4 stars just for the ending.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I haven't read any of them yet, which I feel kind of bad about. I own all three, and have owned Ancillary Sword for several months. The other two were more recent acquisitions, since I waited for price drops, but I've been happy enough to pay for all of them. I listened to the Coode Street Podcast which seems to lean the way you suggest, but I'm not sure how much weight to give that. They were kind of hard on Ancillary Sword, but I have heard others say they preferred it to the first book.

Although I'm not actually voting, I am expecting to read all three books before the voting deadline, so I'll get back to you.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I haven't read any of them yet, which I feel kind of bad about. I own all three, and have owned Ancillary Sword for several months. The other two were more recent acquisitions, since I waited for price drops, but I've been happy enough to pay for all of them. I listened to the Coode Street Podcast which seems to lean the way you suggest, but I'm not sure how much weight to give that. They were kind of hard on Ancillary Sword, but I have heard others say they preferred it to the first book.

Although I'm not actually voting, I am expecting to read all three books before the voting deadline, so I'll get back to you.
Yeah. Coode Street was one of the podcasts. They thought the writing of Sword was superb, but the plot left a bit to be desired. They *loved* Emperor and lot's of nice things to say about Third Body.

As I say, I struggled with Third Body, though I loved the ending.

And, at this point, I too don't expect to vote on this year's Hugo.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote