Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
No iliad stock

Ordered an iliad last week after a lot of hesitation. Today I received the car charger and the case. Thats good and pretty fast to South Africa but I was actually hoping to receive the device itself. I have worked myself into a fine froth of anticipation and cant wait to start using the thing.

Wrote to irex and received a pretty quick response. Unfortunately the response is not what I was hoping for. They currently have no stock. Guess it is selling well and this is a good indication of a rosy future but I WANT MY TOY.

Oh well, managed without it for 46 years so far so a few more weeks should not do me in. At least they responded promptly to my query.

Martin

PS We need an emoticon of someone throwing a juvenile hissy fit
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Go here. ;-)
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh dear. Guess I needed that. Thanks.

You would never say that I meditate every day would you?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Yeah, they are out of stock at the moment. But hopefully there are more iLiads to purchase on September 14th. At least when i expect new ones for my shop.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
This is funny though, you take weeks maybe months to decide if you want the Iliad. And the moment you have decided I wanna buy it.
You want it yesterday.
humans are weird....
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

I was exactly the same when I was waiting for my Illiad. Ordered it and then went nuts because it took two weeks to get delivered. Haven't been that worked up since waiting for Santa Claus to deliver my Lone Ranger outfit.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

I wish they never sent the cover. It is waiting on the table all on its own, empty. Like buying a bicycle and only getting the saddle.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, don't know about all you folks, but I'm off for a relaxing reading session on my iLiad....

Sorry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
At least when i expect new ones for my shop.
Hmmm...I can see some need for some serious and frequent meditation coming to you. LOL
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hmmm...I can see some need for some serious and frequent meditation coming to you. LOL
Well, i have appologized for negleting the meditation thread already
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Martin,

I know you've just spent a lot of money on a toy that isn't there yet... but you might want to consider getting an eBookwise 1150 while you wait. They are only US$140, and while they don't have the beautiful e-ink screen, they do read nearly everything except PDF (with some conversion software) and they have a backlight, which is convenient for reading at night in bed. Then your wife can use it after your iLiad gets there.

(And you can convert many PDF files with PDFtoHTML -- or see the excellent site http://processtext.com for more conversion utilities.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

Thanks Neko. I will look into it but money is now short. My wife has stopped working to finish her degree and we are having to adjust our lifestyle. Buying the iliad was very, how can I say, expansive of me. Now it has been 2 weeks, they have my money, and I have no reader. I have only 1 and a half books left unread and then it is back to the bookshops. I hoped not to have to do that. If the device doesn't ship by Friday I will have to either go shopping or give up reading for a while. Perhaps I should write my own book, always wanted to do that.

I will certainly look into the device you mentioned, thank you.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Thanks Neko. I will look into it but money is now short. My wife has stopped working to finish her degree and we are having to adjust our lifestyle. Buying the iliad was very, how can I say, expansive of me. Now it has been 2 weeks, they have my money, and I have no reader. I have only 1 and a half books left unread and then it is back to the bookshops. I hoped not to have to do that. If the device doesn't ship by Friday I will have to either go shopping or give up reading for a while. Perhaps I should write my own book, always wanted to do that.

I will certainly look into the device you mentioned, thank you.
I suggest a 3rd alternative until you get your reader: Public Libraries!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
If the device doesn't ship by Friday I will have to either go shopping or give up reading for a while. Perhaps I should write my own book, always wanted to do that.
Maybe read on the computer screen for a week or so? Or a PDA, if you have one? I'm guessing you don't have very good libraries in your part of SA.

Writing your own book would certainly be an effective way of passing time, though.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #15
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

We have a very uneven distribution of wealth in South Africa, the result of years of criminal racist legislation. We feel the effect of it now. In the past libraries were racially segregated with most of the resources going to the whites only facilities. Very unfair on so many levels but when you consider that whites are only 10% of the population it really makes you shake your head. Now that apartheid is gone all facilities are open to all. The hunger for learning in the previously disadvantaged sectors of the population is a joy to see but it has resulted in a flooding of all the institutions previously closed to them. The libraries are therefore under tremendous pressure.

Actually I am just being difficult. If I can afford an iliad I can afford to go buy books one more time. The idea of another cheaper reader in the meantime was tempting but I have never even seen a book on a reader am am reluctant to jump further than I have already committed to.