Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #106
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I'vr found that sometimes when I load a text file, BD sometimes assigns a blank space (Paragraph maybe) as a book title or author. I always click tools < element browser< The look through all the elements to make sure it doesnt have a blank space assigned as author or title. Frequently any text that is bold or capitalized will be assigned a sa 'title' and i select those and change to paragraph. (Most of you know all this of course) Its an easy way to clean up..
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I had a situation where I cut the author name and book title and it took the book title properly, but I must have left something behind where the author kept coming up blank.

The way I fixed it was to delete that page and recreate it. All it was was the cover image and author name and book title. So that wasn't too much of a hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #108
David P
David P began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500
I'm still struggling . . .

Not only with BD, but also with where to post stuff. Anyway, I'll try this.

I have downloaded text from Gutenberg Australia, saved the source and tried to load it into BD. No paragraphs at all - I get a single stream of words (checked this by resizing the window). I wrote a program to strip off the line end CR's so I would end up with genuine paragraphs, imported that and got the same result.

So I imported the CR adjusted file intoWord, formatted the font, changed the paragaph spacing (looks good now) and saved this as an RTF and DOC. Then tried to import either into BD - now I get an unhandled exception error, access violation, location 0000 and BD terminates abnormally (we used to say crashed).

The RTF file works okay on the PRS500 though. All I need is the TOC stuff, as it seems that SOny ignores the cross references in the RTF file.

Sorry if this is a general chunter, folks.
David P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a strange one, David.

BD should certainly respect the paragraph breaks in the PG file. Did you download the file as text or HTML? Does the file look normal if you load it into, say, Windows Notepad?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #110
David P

I downloaded the text, selected "View source" to pick up the raw text in Notepad, then saved the file. I have looked at it again with Notepad - every line still has its CR attached, and there are blank lines between paragraphs.
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Won't you have picked up some spurious HTML tags by doing it that way? That's probably what's messing up BD.

Load the file from PG into your web browser, then select "File/Save As..." and select "Text". That will give you plain text minus the HTML stuff.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #112
David P

Thanks. Yes, that looks like it. I brought it back in Notepad, stripped off the HTML stuff at the start, and saved it. BD took in in OK.

Any idea about the RTF/DOC crash? I have what appears to be BD 4.0, but the automatic update (if there is one) to 5.0 doesn't seem to work.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because you've stripped the HTML from it, you will lose the attributes put into the original HTML file. The best idea is to download the ZIPPED HTML file and then unzip it and load into BD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds like you've got the not at all uncommon problem of not having installed BD correctly, David. What you need to do is first install BD 4 using the proper installer, and then unzip the latest BD 5 update on top of it, overwriting the files. For full instructions, and links to the download files, see:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

Note that the icon will still say "Book Designer 4" even when it's BD5, but the "Help/About" menu item will then show you that it's v5.

RTF import should work just fine. Don't bother with DOC.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #115
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because you've stripped the HTML from it, you will lose the attributes put into the original HTML file. The best idea is to download the ZIPPED HTML file and then unzip it and load into BD.
I agree with you - IF it's an HTML file. I got the impression from what David was saying, though, that it was a text file he was trying to load. Of course, if there's an HTML version as well as a text one, go for the HTML by preference.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #116
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As for the reference and link problem in RTF files on the Sony, you are right David, the Sony does not support them. It also does not support graphics of any kind in RTF at the moment and we have no indication that that will change in the future.

If you only have the option of a TXT file and you do have MS Word, I have found that preprocessing the file with Stingo's Word Macro (a link to it is available on the MobileRead Wiki conversion page) helps a great deal. It seems better able to fix the interparagraph hard returns than BD. I use it whenever I have a TXT file to load in BD that needs line end corrections.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #117
David P

I will reinstall BD, and then continue my efforts.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #118
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I'd like to upload one of my favorite books, but I am finding a rather stupid problem. I delete the final text that says:

Quote:
This file was created with BookDesigner program
bookdesigner@the-ebook.org
7/7/2007

LRS to LRF parser v.0.9; Mikhail Sharonov, 2006; msh-tools.com/ebook/
However, when I create the book, it appears at the end all the same. What am I supposed to do to really delete it?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:07 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You don't delete it. This text will appear at the end of every book created with Book Designer.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #120
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
This must have been the most stupid question ever. I mean, how difficult could it be to check it? Oh well, I was tired.

By the way, I thought I was finished but I just ran into another problem with my book: there are some chapters that don't appear on the TOC, probably because they are too short. I remember reading something about this issue, but I can't finding it with the search function. Is there an easy fix for this?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote