Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Similar to The Deed of Paksenarrion?

I'm looking for books similar to The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Does anyone have any recommendations? Sci-fi or fantasy preferably.

Basically anything with a strong female lead character. No romances with the musclebound male character please.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
krhysling
krhysling began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, since you like Elizabeth Moon, you might want to try her Famlias and Vatta's War books. They're both military SF with strong female leads. I enjoyed them both.

Check out her wikipedia page for titles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Moon
Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhysling View Post
Well, since you like Elizabeth Moon, you might want to try her Famlias and Vatta's War books. They're both military SF with strong female leads. I enjoyed them both.

Check out her wikipedia page for titles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Moon
Thanks for the recommendation, I've ordered the first books in each series.

bathos
Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathos View Post
I'm looking for books similar to The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Does anyone have any recommendations? Sci-fi or fantasy preferably.

Basically anything with a strong female lead character. No romances with the musclebound male character please.
Heris Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon
Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon
Honor Harrington series by David Weber
Five Gods books by Lois McMaster Bujold, especially Paladin of Souls
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold
Chicks series edited by Esther Friesner, e.g. Chicks 'n' Chained Males (humour)
God Stalker series by P. C. Hidgell
Here There Be Dragonnes by Mary Brown

That should keep you going!

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-30-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added link for God Stalker series
Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would also recommend "War for The Oaks" by Emma Bull. It would fit under Urban Fantasy and has a good female lead.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
bathos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Many thanks, I'm working my way through all the links

bathos
Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
bathos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I would also recommend "War for The Oaks" by Emma Bull. It would fit under Urban Fantasy and has a good female lead.
Thanks, for the recommendation
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Two additional comments, these are excellent series from Baen, and in many cases the first books in the series are available for free directly from the linked Baen web site. I hope you bought Deeds of Paksenarrion direct from Baen?

However, I'm not sure what it is you find interesting about Paks. Is it the strong female lead and/or the fantasy setting. For example, I highly recommend the Honor Harrington series but it is a SciFi series, not fantasy. The same author (David Weber) has a cross-over book that's a hybrid SciFi / Fantasy called "In Fury Born". Frankly if I could find a good set of books on the Baen site I would buy there first. Thier prices are right and they are DRM free.

If you want some alternatives, you might check out the urban fantasy genre. It has strong female leads in a modern day setting with witches/vampires/werewolves. There are many recommendations here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47898

But I especially like the books by Patricia Briggs.

There is also the Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara

Happy reading!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
bathos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Two additional comments, these are excellent series from Baen, and in many cases the first books in the series are available for free directly from the linked Baen web site. I hope you bought Deeds of Paksenarrion direct from Baen?

However, I'm not sure what it is you find interesting about Paks. Is it the strong female lead and/or the fantasy setting. For example, I highly recommend the Honor Harrington series but it is a SciFi series, not fantasy. The same author (David Weber) has a cross-over book that's a hybrid SciFi / Fantasy called "In Fury Born". Frankly if I could find a good set of books on the Baen site I would buy there first. Thier prices are right and they are DRM free.

If you want some alternatives, you might check out the urban fantasy genre. It has strong female leads in a modern day setting with witches/vampires/werewolves. There are many recommendations here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47898

But I especially like the books by Patricia Briggs.

There is also the Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara

Happy reading!
Thanks for all the info. I got the first book free from Baen and had only read a couple of chapters before I had to go back and buy the trilogy. It's amazing that you can get a drm-free trilogy in multiple formats for only $6 I love Baen

It's mainly the strong female lead I'm looking for, either scifi or fantasy. It's just a bit daunting looking at all the books on Baen and other places and not knowing where to start.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
It's mainly the strong female lead I'm looking for, either scifi or fantasy. It's just a bit daunting looking at all the books on Baen and other places and not knowing where to start.
Then definitely start with the Honor Harrington series. It's a great series with a very strong female lead. It's one of my favorites.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
Then definitely start with the Honor Harrington series. It's a great series with a very strong female lead. It's one of my favorites.
Yes, and "In Fury Born" by the same author (weber) also on Baen
Old 07-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
bathos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
Thanks, I've just downloaded the first book. That series will keep me going for a while
Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
bathos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Yes, and "In Fury Born" by the same author (weber) also on Baen
Thanks, I've just got that one as well
Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Thanks, I've just downloaded the first book. That series will keep me going for a while
Psst. Hey. Hey! Hey kid! Wanna try an eBook? First hit's free...

Xenophon
Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
bathos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Psst. Hey. Hey! Hey kid! Wanna try an eBook? First hit's free...

Xenophon
I must admit I'm addicted now, so thanks to everyone for the recommendations

Baen is a perfect example of the way to sell ebooks
Closed Thread