Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #31
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Try again. BTDT.
I should have known
I have some Pearl S. Buck or John Steinbeck books in mind, but before suggesting any title I'll dig around a little more
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
By U.S. copyright laws, yes, of course. But not by Swiss law, as far as I know, which is the one relevant for MR.
As the servers that house the library are going to be moving to the U.S. soon, we'll have to be compliant with U.S. copyright law as well.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I should have known
I have some Pearl S. Buck or John Steinbeck books in mind, but before suggesting any title I'll dig around a little more
No problem. I sometimes do a forum search of the Book Clubs sub-forum to find if something I plan to nominate has already won. Although when I don't, I find someone is sure to remind me.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Just to be clear: The Picture of Dorian Gray (the one that's been with us for 120 years) is in the public domain. The original uncensored version as edited by Nicholas Frankel is fully protected by U.S. copyright laws.
But doesn't that imply that the original uncensored version is in the public domain? His edits may be copyrighted, but the original uncensored version is in the public domain.

I don't think Mr Frankel can have it both ways: being the original uncensored version and it being edited?

Like: http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Origin...ray+uncensored

I may be completely wrong about this.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
As the servers that house the library are going to be moving to the U.S. soon, we'll have to be compliant with U.S. copyright law as well.
Shocking news, and I really mean shocking! Is the question allowed why a site with one of the best collections of free epubs would decide to move to a state with the most restrictive copyright laws and threaten this legacy?
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But doesn't that imply that the original uncensored version is in the public domain? His edits may be copyrighted, but the original uncensored version is in the public domain.

I don't think Mr Frankel can have it both ways: being the original uncensored version and it being edited?

Like: http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Origin...ray+uncensored

I may be completely wrong about this.
I'm no expert on U.S. copyright law. All I know is that the the edits to the original made by Nicholas Frankel made his version (with the edits) copyrightable. I assume that if you had in your possession the original, unedited manuscript, it would indeed be in the public domain, and you could make your own version and upload it. At least, I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Not even a second for Wizard of Oz? Hmmm. Probably too many people have already read it. I also considered nominating The Hobbit but figured that would certainly have too many people who have read it.

I am still hoping for a less "literary" nomination.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #38
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Not even a second for Wizard of Oz? Hmmm. Probably too many people have already read it. I also considered nominating The Hobbit but figured that would certainly have too many people who have read it.

I am still hoping for a less "literary" nomination.
I read The Wizard of Oz several years ago and didn't care for it much, but I understand your desire for something less "literary." A fast, easy read, but great classic is Gulliver's Travels. I've already nominated a book and seconded another. Not sure if I can nominate another new title.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
...I've already nominated a book and seconded another. Not sure if I can nominate another new title.
Each person participating in the MobileRead Book Club is entitled to three nominations. You can use them to nominate three books, or second three nominations by other members, or any combination thereof. Since you've nominated one book and seconded another, you have one nomination left.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #40
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, you can. You can nominate or support three books.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #41
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I second The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #42
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I would like to nominate The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf and Eugine Petrov. The kindle edition is only one dollar.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #43
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Second The Twelve Chairs.

Amazon US

The translation available at B&N is a 1,000 word summary.

Last edited by BelleZora; 03-21-2014 at 10:12 PM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'll third the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I read it a few years ago, but it was so different from the 1939 film with Judy Garland that I wouldn't mind reading it again and maybe even breaking out my silent film collection and re-watching the 1925 version.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #45
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I will third The Twelve Chairs.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote