Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Harry,you could not access the uk Kindle store (assuming that's what is set up in your country settings) from your device in Egypt?
That's correct. I couldn't. Might something similar to this be the problem that you're having, perhaps?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
tuppence
tuppence began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Okay, in answer to the many questions. I bought the kindle in the uk and am using it in the uk. Books bought on my pc via amazon show up on the kindle but the status is 'pending' whether synced by wi-fi or usb. i have contacted amazon, one replacement, several conversations and nearly three weeks later I am no further on. They say they are aware of the problem and their IT are looking in to it.
tuppence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Definitely sounds like a problem at Amazon's end. Hope they're able to fix it for you soon.

What happens if, rather than having Amazon send you a book, you open the archive on the PW and select a book from there?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
tuppence

Have tried selecting a book from the archive but it justs says 'pending'. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Sorry tuppence, no idea what else you could do! It is obviously not the device that is the problem, since you have a replacement. I'd hate to have a new kindle and not be able to use it

Harry, sorry, I am just totally taken aback. I always thought that if I take my, say, US Kindle anywhere in the world, I would still be able to access the US store. I can use it in Germany for what it's worth. Could this be a restriction imposed by the Egyptian government for religious motives, I wonder? Maybe a recent change after the Arab Spring?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
MrDoug of your 141 posts I suspect 3/4 have been hysteria inducing rubbish about your trials and tribulations with the KPW. Now your hijacking other threads and once again offering nothing. Feel free to just go away.
Hey.. just making some comments.. TAKE A HIKE..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #22
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sorry tuppence, no idea what else you could do! It is obviously not the device that is the problem, since you have a replacement. I'd hate to have a new kindle and not be able to use it

Harry, sorry, I am just totally taken aback. I always thought that if I take my, say, US Kindle anywhere in the world, I would still be able to access the US store. I can use it in Germany for what it's worth. Could this be a restriction imposed by the Egyptian government for religious motives, I wonder? Maybe a recent change after the Arab Spring?
Well, part of it is that the stores are likely looking at the IP of the device trying to access the store. If the IP isn't from the right region, deny it. It'd be to prevent someone from buying a US device to buy US books from the UK for example.

As crappy as the situation is, is it possible to download the books and copy them over USB in the short term while the IT folks investigate?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppence View Post
Have tried selecting a book from the archive but it justs says 'pending'. Thanks for all your suggestions.
You can presumably still load books via USB, though, so you do have access to your books?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
tuppence

Unfortunately my books won't even load by usb from amazon. So I can't use it. Very frustrating!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Have you tried connecting to another Wi-Fi besides your own to see if it makes a difference?
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Unfortunately my books won't even load by usb from amazon. So I can't use it. Very frustrating!
So, from the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon's web site you select "transfer via USB" and what happens then? The book doesn't download to your PC, or the PW doesn't display it when you then copy it from your PC to the PW? I can't imagine a situation in which transferring books via USB wouldn't work!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Tuppence, are you transferring the downloaded book via USB from computer to the Documents folder on the Kindle Paperwhite?

You can find information here: Transferring, Downloading, and Sending Files to Kindle Paperwhite.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
tuppence

DreamWriter, you are a genius. It is a long way round for a new piece of technology but at least I can now use my paperwhite until amazon solve the problem.
For anyone else with this problem, at the moment I buy the book on amazon, download it to my computer then move it into the documents folder on the paperwhite using the USB.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
DreamWriter, you are a genius. It is a long way round for a new piece of technology but at least I can now use my paperwhite until amazon solve the problem.
For anyone else with this problem, at the moment I buy the book on amazon, download it to my computer then move it into the documents folder on the paperwhite using the USB.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help!
What were you trying to do before, when you said that transferring books by USB didn't work?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Glad you're able to transfer the ebooks via USB now. I hope the wifi problem will be solved soon too!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle paperwhite, kindle store