Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
tanstaafl1963
tanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Calibre on a DNS-323

Did anyone ever get this working on a DNS-323?

There were a number of conversations back and forth, so I'd like to see if
1. We can store our ebooks on a DNS-323
2. Either launch the calibre-server on the DNS or
3. keep our metadata file on a local machine, but have it reference the book folders on the server.

Thanks !
tanstaafl1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables

Why not use the
Quote:

CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH - allows you to specify the full path to metadata.db. Using this variable you can have metadata.db be in a location other than the library folder. Useful if your library folder is on a networked drive that does not support file locking.
to point the DB to your local drive while having the library on the DNS-323?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
tanstaafl1963
tanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't litter

Peter,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have my library on Z:\SharedFiles\eBooks

If I create a new metadata.db on c:\mybooks

I would set my CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH to be "c:\mybooks", right?

I'm not clear on how to have the books reside on a folder different than the metadata.db. How do I add them?

I made the change to the environment variable, opened Calibre and was told the library database appears to be corrupted. There were/are not books in it. What did I miss?
And now I can't get into Calibre at all. When I select 'Yes' to the rebuild, this is what I get.

calibre, version 0.8.58
ERROR: Failed: Restoring database failed, click Show details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 112, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 229, in create_cc_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 197, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 145, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 366, in connect
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 248, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 225, in connect
OperationalError: unable to open database file
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry not an expert at all; have never tried this.. I might play with it and see..

However do see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84390
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl1963 View Post
I have my library on Z:\SharedFiles\eBooks

If I create a new metadata.db on c:\mybooks

I would set my CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH to be "c:\mybooks", right?
That is not quite right. The path includes the database filename so in your case this means it should be set to c:\mybooks\metadata.db
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
tanstaafl1963

Accessing Library OK, but books are on local drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
That is not quite right. The path includes the database filename so in your case this means it should be set to c:\mybooks\metadata.db
That worked better.. now i can get into the library.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the environment variable.

I've got the variable set for a local drive c:\mybooks\metadata.db
I've to the actual .epubs on a NAS drive "z:\shared\ebooks"

If I add a epub from the Z drive, it does show up in my library, but it is also copied to my c:\mybooks folder. I was expecting that the book would NOT be copied to the c:\mybooks, but rather referenced by the Library and reside on the Z:\shared\ebooks folder.

I'm sure I missed something, but right now it doesn't seem much different than if I had all the ebooks on my local drive...

Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
tanstaafl1963

Should this environment variable still copy the books to a local drive?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
temptemp
temptemp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Anyone has experience to run Calibre on DNS 321 or DNS 323? I only need it to fetch news to my Kindle. I was following the below post by plord, but not getting luck.

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6053

Anyone can share the experience will be great.

Thanks!
temptemp is offline   Reply With Quote