Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Can justification be changed on the K2?

Gentlefolk;

A couple weeks ago, I purchased my most expensive book ever for the K2 - John Nagl's book "Eating Soup with a Knife".

The Kindle formatting is not what I would be hoping for considering the price I paid for this... around $15 IIRC. Mostly Im vexed by the poor justification implementation. It is fully-justified which makes for some very awkward lines, some containing three words that are very spread out.

I don't see an option to change the display to left-justified (ragged right). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
Gentlefolk;

A couple weeks ago, I purchased my most expensive book ever for the K2 - John Nagl's book "Eating Soup with a Knife".

The Kindle formatting is not what I would be hoping for considering the price I paid for this... around $15 IIRC. Mostly Im vexed by the poor justification implementation. It is fully-justified which makes for some very awkward lines, some containing three words that are very spread out.

I don't see an option to change the display to left-justified (ragged right). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Don
If I am not mistaken, Kindle 1 allowed switching between fully justified and left justified. Kindle 2 and DX by default fully justify all text unless the formatting in the book specifically says that the text must be left justified. So, without modifying the source of the book, you cannot change the look on Kindle 2 or DX.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
There is no undocumeted command for justification?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
There is no undocumeted command for justification?
Nope, not on the K2.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
That's one feature I'd love to see in every reading device, being able to adjust the justification. I have a definite preference for ragged-right, just because the full justification results in the effect you describe...weird spacing on some lines. Why would I care if the right margin is even? But if the book comes that way, what can you do?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Choosing justification in reader would be nice. Nice too would be hyphenation control, which I think the Pocketbook's do, but no one else.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote