Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
taylor3456
taylor3456 began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon n800
really confused with choosing an eink device with these 3 functions

hallo, everyone, I am new here. After some search, I am still confused with my choice.

"iPad+iAnnotate+Dropbox+boxwave stylus" is a good choice. EEE Note is also a good consideration. But I still need a Eink device which can do a limited and similar job.

another 4 Points are important:
1, when pointing at a word, the translated meaning should be conveniently displayed. Of course I know that it is not possible in a scanned PDF files, but I hope that the dictionary function can be easily used and I can easily go back to the reading screen. it is better to be supported in different formats, e.g. epub, pdf...
2, different dictionaries should be added easily,like the stardict option. e.g. when I read a english book, I need a english dictionary; when I read a german book, I will need a german dictionary; for chinese books, a chinese dictionary
3, annotation is important. Highlighting, bookmark, taking notes on the blank edge are important.it is better to be supported in different formats, e.g. epub, pdf...
4, annotation can be searched, viewed in a convenient way, exported to a PC (e.g. the annotations on a pdf file can be also viewed on a PC). At this point, I know that nook are not as good as kindle3.

Price is not an issue, and you can give me suggestions without considering that. The way of taking notes with stylus is also not important, I think, but it is perhaps better on a resistive display, on a digitizer display or with buttons.

Besides the epub formats, I am a heavy PDF user. I hope the PDF files can be directly loaded.

As far as I know, Kindle3, Sony prs 950, iRex 800/1000, pocket pro and entourage pocket edge(PE) are probably matched. But I do not find the detailed differences regarding to the above 4 points. I hope to get some advices here. Perhaps other models you know?

English is not my mother tongue. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Thanks for your reading and inputs!
taylor3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The Sonys have a really neat dictionary feature. It comes with ten preloaded that you choose and change through options. Tap on a word and its definition pops up in a little window at the bottom of the page. Close the window by tapping the X in the corner or expand the window by tapping inside it. That brings up the dictionary page so that you can see the words around it. Close the page and you're right back where you were in your book.

There are just a few problems in your quest. The ten dictionaries are US English, British English, and two translation dictionaries each for German, Italian, Dutch, French, and Spanish. I don't believe that you can load a Chinese dictionary that would work this way. The other slight problem is that sometimes the dictionary has problems with words with endings like ing or ed. Unfortunately, it won't bring up the word in the dictionary closest to the word that you tap.

PDFs can be directly loaded, but they often have diagrams and page headers that don't flow well in to a book. The larger readers, like the Kindle DX and Sony 950 will do best at displaying them but are still not perfect. Getting books in ePub format is a much better option.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Forget the Sony 650 if you want to use different dictionaries, or add new one to your device. The Sony 650 doesn't support that. The Kindle does and there are a lot of dictionaries in the Web that you can add for free. Exporting annotattion with the K3 is better too that in the Sony 650. The Kindle saves the anotattion in a editable format TXT; Sony does that in a XML document.

To use the features of dictionary, anottation, and search in scanned PDF files in the Kindle, take those PDF, open them with Abbey Fine OCR and ckeck the option "Covert in a PDF with search option" o something like that (I have the program in Spanish, so I'm just guessing).

Happy buying.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 07-07-2011 at 11:36 AM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Check the Onyx Boox forum for a discussion of new models vs. Pocketbook 903. Look for Dulin Book's post that explains the various note taking and annotation options.

Forum: More E-Book Readers/Onyx Boox
Thread: Onyx Boox M90 available

Last edited by anjirlly; 07-08-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: more precise location
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
taylor3456

thank you for your tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post

To use the features of dictionary, .
the translation will pop up during the reading like in Sony?
kindle have no pen. So is it convenient to navigate with buttons to the word of which I wanna know the meaning?
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
taylor3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
PDFs can be directly loaded, but they often have diagrams and page headers that don't flow well in to a book. The larger readers, like the Kindle DX and Sony 950 will do best at displaying them but are still not perfect. Getting books in ePub format is a much better option.
when I make underlines or scratches in a pdf file, can it be saved in the pdf file and displayed the same way in a PC?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
taylor3456

thank you for your advice and I searched an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Check the Onyx Boox forum for a discussion of new models vs. Pocketbook 903. Look for Dulin Book's post that explains the various note taking and annotation options.
I find only this for describing the ability of m90 and I do not understand what it means. "Actually handwrite on the page. It doesnt move off the device that way but on device you can. There are ways to make notes that can go off the device separately." in the thread of "PDF annotations on Pocketbook 903".

Does m90 save the annotation in pdf and display them in a pc?

I would also like to know how it is in a pocketbook 903?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3456 View Post
thank you for your tip!

the translation will pop up during the reading like in Sony?
kindle have no pen. So is it convenient to navigate with buttons to the word of which I wanna know the meaning?
Yes, the translation pop up during the reading. I have been a kindle user for a over a year and I don't find to get to the word what I want to know the meaning take me too much time at all. Even, now I have a DXG which has larger screen, besides my K3, and I find to navigate to the unknown words is easy and fast with the joystick. It is just matter of practice.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
taylor3456

another important question: when I make underlines,scratches or take notes on the blank edge in a PDF-file, can it be saved (embedded) in the pdf file and displayed the same way in PC(windows system)?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
no, this is impossible in linux based readers.(currently)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
taylor3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
no, this is impossible in linux based readers.(currently)
Thank you for your reply. Do you or some else know an Eink Device (perhaps not a linux-based device), which support this kind feature?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
taylor3456

Is there an Eink Device (perhaps not a linux-based device), which support this kind of feature(scratches or notes can be saved and embedded in a pdf file and can be displayed with a PC)?