Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Non-Horror Novels by Stephen King?

After I saw the Shawshank Redemption, I read the short novel the movie was made from, and liked it.

I know Stephen King has been well known for his horror genre, for decades, but which of his titles are not horror?

The latest release doesn't look, by the description, to be horror. Is it worth checking out? It seems like a lot of people enjoyed it. Are there other titles that I've missed out on due to thinking, "Oh I don't like Stephen King, he just writes horror."?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
You will definitely like 11/22/63. It reaches the peak of awesomeness, as well as Under the Dome.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-the-Dome.../dp/B0030H7UIU
http://www.amazon.com/11-22-63-ebook/dp/B004Q7CIFI
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Markanthonylbc
Markanthonylbc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Dark Tower

I'm actually in the middle of The Dark Tower series right now. It's bizarre and difficult to categorize, but certainly not horror. It's a curious combination of neo-western meets epic fantasy. A very interesting and diverse cast of characters, impossible to predict endings... I definitely recommend it.

So funny that you mentioned staying away from King because of his affiliation with horror novels. I was in the same boat. I won't be reading any more of his work aside from the Dark Tower series, but it's good to know that he has some versatility.
Markanthonylbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
King has his ups and downs but as an overall he's a fantastic writer.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
You may have come across the movie "Stand By Me" which is based on a Stephen King story called, I think, "The Body". Also not horror.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I didn't consider Duma Key to be a horror. It's a really long book though.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Eye of the Dragon is another of his books that isn't horror. It's more of a fantasy novel than anything else. He wrote it for his daughter I believe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Oddly enough, some of those titles, while not actually being horror, were listed as "horror" on some websites such as Kobo- just because they were Stephen King.

Yes, I also have read "The Body" (and seen Stand by Me) The book "DIfferent Seasons" which contains these stories, is also listed as a horror book, even though I know it is not horror, so I wanted to put this out to figure out which is which, since the people who hope to sell me the book can't even tell me

Such as 11/22/63 and Under the Dome. Kobo lists these as Horror Novels, but 11/22/63, from all the amazon descriptions I just read and the discussion in the thread it's a time travel fantasy.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Such as 11/22/63 and Under the Dome. Kobo lists these as Horror Novels, but 11/22/63, from all the amazon descriptions I just read and the discussion in the thread it's a time travel fantasy.
11-22-63 isn't horror. I'd describe it as a thriller. It includes some violence and some romance and some fantasy. I don't like Stephen King and I enjoyed the audiobook of this novel for the trip back to the 1960's and the well developed characters.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
i wouldn't put 'misery' in the horror category... more of a suspense thriller novel.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Ur is another of his works that isn't horror. More of a SF/Fantasy type of story I think. It deals with the Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard

I am fine with there being some violence or whatnot in a story as long as it isn't THE story itself. If it's in context and helps tell the story (much like a few of my other squeamish-like sex scenes and stuff) rather than being thrown in there just because, then I appreciate writing like that.

I like stories that are exciting and thrilling without being "full blown horror" such as demon possession, gory monsters, people being able to start fires with their eyes glowing colors, vehicles that are possessed and have minds of their own.... etc.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard

My library has the First "Dark Tower", (the gunslinger) as well as the rest. I am putting it on hold! (the e-book, since buses are stilllllll on strike here in Antarctica)

It is listed as epic fantasy. Interesting how I can judge a book by its title.... I thought it was horror based on the name alone.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It is nice to be able to read a non-horror book from the king of horror
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
My library has the First "Dark Tower", (the gunslinger) as well as the rest. I am putting it on hold! (the e-book, since buses are stilllllll on strike here in Antarctica)
There are buses in Antarctica? Wait... there are libraries in Antarctica? I assumed it was all penguins and research stations.

By the way, The Dark Tower progressively gets worse as it goes on. Well, book one is decent and book two and three are the best, but after that it goes downhill. I gave up halfway through book six and never read book seven.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
There are buses in Antarctica? Wait... there are libraries in Antarctica? I assumed it was all penguins and research stations.

By the way, The Dark Tower progressively gets worse as it goes on. Well, book one is decent and book two and three are the best, but after that it goes downhill. I gave up halfway through book six and never read book seven.

Atlanticcanada really