Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
Daniel Jackson
SG-1
Daniel Jackson began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Bypassing/skipping account sign in when setting up system - any downsides?

I'm preparing for my new Libra 2 that is almost in my possession.
I'm somewhat opposed (but not completely though) to any kind of online ties. So this caught my attention:
https://yingtongli.me/blog/2018/07/30/kobo-rego.html
Seems easy enough to pull of, I technically understand the steps.
Are there any downsides to this? Will the system be fully functional with a such a fake activation?
I only plan to put books on my reader manually using Calibre. And any firmware updates I'm also willing to install manually.

If it's too much of a hassle, I'll just go along with a true registration.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You'll find many discussions about this on MobileRead. It all comes down to your choice. Just remember, nothing at all says you have to register with a real email address. Why not do a real registration and just use a fake email address (acautioususer@somedomain.com)?

There has been the odd report of a manual registration causing issues on a f/w upgrade when some columns in the database gained additional constraints that the manual registration had not met.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
Daniel Jackson
SG-1
Daniel Jackson began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Right, thanks!
After reading some other people's experiences I've decided to just take the easier route of using a fake address.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote