Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #61
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read a few years ago that the most expensive book in the world is the Sarajevo Haggadah. At that time it's most recent sale was for $800 million.

The book has a fascinating history and there is an even more fascinating book that relates that history. It's "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks. I read it about 7 or 8 years ago and it's one of the most fascinating novels I've read in a long time. Geraldine Brooks, who wrote the novel, was present at the recovery of the Haggaddah, which had been thought to be lost during WWII.

Yeah I'm a bit off-topic but this is good stuff.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #62
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I read a few years ago that the most expensive book in the world is the Sarajevo Haggadah. At that time it's most recent sale was for $800 million.

The book has a fascinating history and there is an even more fascinating book that relates that history. It's "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks. I read it about 7 or 8 years ago and it's one of the most fascinating novels I've read in a long time. Geraldine Brooks, who wrote the novel, was present at the recovery of the Haggaddah, which had been thought to be lost during WWII.

Yeah I'm a bit off-topic but this is good stuff.

Barry
It’s on topic insofar that ebooks have no monetary worth as an investment (besides any possible knowledge gained from reading it) in contrast with books that have the potential of gaining increasing monetary value. Even the lowly torn up paperback book, old edition textbook, or comics can yield a slight monetary return by being sold in garage sale, flea market or ebay. There is also the possibility of these unwanted books gaining non-monetary worth by helping the community when donated to the library, school or other community organizations. Ebooks, sadly lack all of the above advantages that physical books have.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #63
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBurke View Post
1.) Ebooks are eternal (DRM free ones, anyway) and don't warp or fall apart e.g. pages becoming unglued at the binding from too much handling during reading etc... You can backup your ebooks and so they are always in pristine shape. I have some physical books that are warped, dirty, and falling apart from too much handling (I read alot what can I say ?)

2.) When taking notes in an ebook, on a ereader, you can type a longer note, associated with a certain page, compared to writing in the margins on a page in a physical book.

3.) You can carry a ton of books in one ereader about the size of a paper back.

4.) Less potential clutter in your domicile ( might be more of an issue for some than others).

5.) Can read in the dark while travelling, camping or when you lose power or whatnot without a lamp.

5.) Kobo Aura H20 is waterproof/dust proof and physical books are not waterproof. You can read in a bath tub, beach or at the pool.

Sorry, if some of this is redundant I don't have time to go through the entire thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
On your number 5, that only applies to lighted ereaders. Some of us have basic ereaders.

On your number 4, one just needs Narnia or a Tardis or magical extending shelves.

On your number one, you forgot food splatters. Though that may only apply to cookbooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
My earliest ebooks, from around 1982 or so, are plain text files stored on 8" floppy disks. Hardly eternal. Yes I could locate and obtain the equipment somehow to retrieve them but I think that illustrates why they aren't eternal.
Point #5 Water proof books are available.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7596544.html
Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
... and paper books are less likely to kill you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

What an idiot!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #65
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

What an idiot!
Nah, paper books'll get you too.

http://stephencfchan.blogspot.se/200...-by-books.html

The documented dangers of pbooks go back at least as far as Pliny the Younger:

https://www.loebclassics.com/view/pl..._LCL055.81.xml
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #66
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Nah, paper books'll get you too.

http://stephencfchan.blogspot.se/200...-by-books.html

The documented dangers of pbooks go back at least as far as Pliny the Younger:

https://www.loebclassics.com/view/pl..._LCL055.81.xml
True, but paper book are still less likely to get you than an ebook in an electronic device whose battery can spontaneously catch fire and burn down your house at any moment. Pedestrians are also increasingly becoming casualties while walking by texting however it's possible a few were engrossed in an ebook before they met their fate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...cent/81483294/

In regard to the dangers of pbooks I did get a nasty paper cut a time or two while reading.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #67
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
A House Divided

My wife gets her books from the local library (or borrows them from friends) in PAPER format.

I get my eBooks from Overdrive, 3M Cloud, Hoopla, Project Gutenberg, etc.

We are definitely a house divided!

She recently sent me this video purporting that paper is NOT dead:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

What an idiot!
Hmmm... an obvious candidate for a Darwin award.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #69
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Yeah, but there are probably more ebooks available than waterproof books so my point still stands. It seems there are only a few waterproof books available and they are only the classics (according to your link which may be outdated) and an ebook is probably cheaper than a waterproof book ( the cost of an ereader eventually pays for itself ).

Anyway, I don't like to be limited to the classics. I find they are overpraised but it took me a longtime to figure out that the books are generally lousy and not my taste.

Newer books are generally better than older books because the publishing industry is more competitive, nowadays, and the cream rises to the top; also, newer books benefit from updated information (but not always).

Last edited by KevinBurke; 03-18-2017 at 03:06 PM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #70
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
True, but paper book are still less likely to get you than an ebook in an electronic device whose battery can spontaneously catch fire and burn down your house at any moment. Pedestrians are also increasingly becoming casualties while walking by texting however it's possible a few were engrossed in an ebook before they met their fate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...cent/81483294/

In regard to the dangers of pbooks I did get a nasty paper cut a time or two while reading.
What are you innumerate ? What's the statistics on ebooks spontaneously combusting ? Must be extremely low at best.

Do drive a car ? More Americans have died in car accidents than in the Vietnam war but people still drive. Maybe, you should stop driving and sell your car.

Also, who the hell walks or drives while reading an ebook ? You can walk or drive and read a paper book too. I fail to see your point as walking and texting or driving and texting is alot more common numerically speaking than walkng or driving while reading an ereader and a physical book can cause the same fate.

I bet you alot more people die walking drunk, in Manhatta, by cars or driving drunk than by death by ereader. The numbers, statistically speaking must be extremely low.

Last edited by KevinBurke; 03-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #71
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Yeah, but there are probably more ebooks available than waterproof books so my point still stands. It seems there are only a few waterproof books available and they are only the classics (according to your link which may be outdated) and an ebook is probably cheaper than a waterproof book ( the cost of an ereader eventually pays for itself ).

Anyway, I don't like to be limited to the classics. I find they are overpraised but it took me a longtime to figure out that the books are generally lousy and not my taste.

Newer books are generally better than older books because the publishing industry is more competitive, nowadays, and the cream rises to the top; also, newer books benefit from updated information (but not always).
Hi. If I remember correctly, you only read non-fiction and only to learn something not for the simple pleasure of reading.

Most of us here read for fun and enjoyment.

It also seems that you are taking every post very seriously when in this thread it is mostly sarcasm. The waterproof books were posted as a joke.

If you want to have a serious discussion about books or ebooks in general, start a thread.
But do make a note if you see a thread like hardback vs audio, it is probably a humorous thread.
Stay, have a drink, have a laugh, start a thread with your ideas and passions. Everything is here, you just have to look for it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #72
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What are you innumerate ? What's the statistics on ebooks spontaneously combusting ? Must be extremely low at best.

Do drive a car ? More Americans have died in car accidents than in the Vietnam war but people still drive. Maybe, you should stop driving and sell your car.

Also, who the hell walks or drives while reading an ebook ? You can walk or drive and read a paper book too. I fail to see your point as walking and texting or driving and texting is alot more common numerically speaking than walikng or driving while reading an ereader and a physical book can cause the same fate.
I tried to walk and read but I ran into walls. Oh wait, I can run into walls not reading too.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Google "paper cut" and "sepsis." A pbook can have you toes up, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Google "paper cut" and "sepsis." A pbook can have you toes up, too.
Just wow. No other words.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #75
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
My wife gets her books from the local library (or borrows them from friends) in PAPER format.

I get my eBooks from Overdrive, 3M Cloud, Hoopla, Project Gutenberg, etc.

We are definitely a house divided!

She recently sent me this video purporting that paper is NOT dead:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0
: Score one for Emma!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote