Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
sakura88
sakura88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
[QUOTE=nonanon;759859]I've used a powermonkey solar charger and battery for a year or so now. It has a battery you can use separately, plug into the solar cell to charge and the cell itself unfold to twice the size of the one on the link. I'm not home to check but I think the powermonkey battery has more amp hours than this, too. The powermonkey is pricier but if you watch the deal-a-day sites you can get it for as low as $10 after rebate.

As for powering a reader, assuming you have a plug that will fit you may be able to trickle charge your device even if the power icon doesn't appear. I have some devices that work this way, no hint that it's charging since the input source is too low, but after a few hours it's fully charged again. You could look around for adapters as well since this seems to offer a fairly common pin connector. All that being said, it's just easier to carry an Energizer battery that is often on Woot. It's rated at 18,000 mAh or 18 amp hours which is huge. The device is skinnier but slightly wider than a paperback book and comes with a big selection of charging tips. I know it came with one that charges my Sony PRS-500.
sakura88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
There is a variety of solar chargers available for similar prices with free shipping from the Hong Kong website http://www.dealextreme.com

I ordered a similar charger a couple years ago and it works great with my Sony Reader, whose battery is getting old and won't hold its charge for very long.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
There is a variety of solar chargers available for similar prices with free shipping from the Hong Kong website http://www.dealextreme.com

I ordered a similar charger a couple years ago and it works great with my Sony Reader, whose battery is getting old and won't hold its charge for very long.
Is this it? On sale for $17 shipped. Double the capacity of the one originally posted (2600mAh). Just says lithium, not whether it's polymer, and doesn't specify output current.

Do you charge via the Sony's mini USB connection? Or did you find a compatible barrel plug? 2A is the rating at 5.2V of the Sony charger into the barrel jack. We expect the power supply to follow USB spec (because it's got a USB output jack) and voltage regulate, so I'm guessing you connect via mini USB.

Last edited by jj2me; 02-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I received my charger, and I do think it is worth the $10 plus $5 shipping. It comes with a 500ma wall wart to USB charger. I used that to charge it up. It will also charge from a PC USB port. The solar cells look very good, but from the size of the package you would not expect super capacity. It is small... It measures about 3.75" by 1.75". The contained high capacity polymer battery is 1350mah. When you sit the panel in the sun, or use the wall wart, a charge light comes on. This flashes while charging and stays lit when charged. The solar cells are rated at 5.5V/80ma. The output voltage is 5.0-6.0 V, with output current 350-850ma. It includes 5 output adapter tips that will cover most Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, and LG cell phones. All the included tips are too small for the Sony.

This looks great for an on-the-road cell phone charger. I am sure it will work with my Sony if I can find a tip adapter. The output voltage looks appropriate.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
If you look at the stated specs in the quote in the first post, you'll see rated output at 5.0v to 5.5v Anything that can put out 5v or more (USB power output) can charge any USB powerable device (including most ebook readers).

2000 mAh = 2000 mini-amps per hour = battery's storage capacity.
"mini-amps"? Those are milliamps, each being 1/1000 of an amp. mAh are milliamp-hours (milliamps multiplied by hours, not 'per hour'). Leave the tech stuff to the experts.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 AM   #21
heeler
heeler began at the beginning.

Device: any and all!
Ebay has a variety... well, 1000's of usb 5 volt output chargers in a huge range of flavours, the main thing to look for is panel output, 80 mah means very slow charging of any type of battery.
The best type I have seen is a small kit form charger from adafruit.com this takes two AA and converts the 3 volt (AA Alkaline batteries) or 2.4 (NiMh rechargeable AA) to 5.2 volt (USB standard) the chip onboard is a very efficient voltage doubler that is then regulated to the 5.2 volt.

I use a flexible solar panel that is about 800 mm x 250 mm, it outputs around 14 volts at 1 amp (1000 mah) this can again be regulated to whatever you want and used to charge AA batteries.
With charging the thing to remember is that the voltage is the more crucial element of the voltage ampage formula, that is to say a 1.2 volt AA charged at 80 mah is slow to charge, the same voltage at 1000 mah is a lot quicker, the battery will only use what it needs to use mah-wise...

most 'smart' AA chargers will wack in about 500-1000 mah thus charging the batteries (lets say 2800 mah AA's, about the best you can get at the mo) in around 2.8 hours. this is assuming an input of 1000 mah at 1.2 volts... (perfect conditions sun-wise), big assumption due to amount of sun on the panel

The beauty of AA's is the ability to join them in series or parallel to make a voltage bank to your own configuration, 10 gives you 12 volts at 2800 mah in series, 1.2 volts at 28000 mah in parallel!

USB is very forgiving, it will take anywhere between 4.8 to 5.6 volts usually, I have 'played' with my Sony 600 touch at 4.8 to 5.0 it will run, 5.1-5.6 it will run and charge.

SO... things to look for:

USB charger- 12 volt cig. socket for car, AA x 2 USB charger, Solar charger with built-in battery and USB output... etc... just search USB charger on Ebay, that will keep you busy for a few hours remember- larger panel output means faster charging of the internal battery or the USB device you want to charge.

PSP USB charger- the PSP uses the same size plug as the sony readers, there are a few that have usb mini and PSP DC socket on one end and a standard male USB on the other, plug standard into any USB output and the other end into the sony.

As Drmoze states:
mAh are milliamp-hours (milliamps multiplied by hours, not 'per hour')

you can do a 1000 trials and have different charge times each time....

I hope this helps in some little way, and I am sure I will get chastised by those who know different or better...

My system works, I charge laptops, my sony reader and camera batteries while out hiking for anywhere from a weekend to 4 weeks, and am always looking for a lighter alternative.

The next big breakthrough will be lighter batteries with more capacity, watch this space....

If anyone wants more detailed information or pictures dont hesitate to message me, lets keep it on this forum to help others...

Cheers,

Dan.
heeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #22
rdavis184
rdavis184 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
2000 mAh = 2000 mini-amps per hour = battery's storage capacity.
That's 2000 milliamps/hour. What's a mini amp? ;-)
rdavis184 is offline   Reply With Quote