Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
frankg
frankg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help with Error Code 1

Hiya - I just joined cos I've got the error code 1 message on Windows 7, no software changes but I have just changed broadband. Clicked on Calibre which i use all the time and I got the Python function terminated unexpectedly......calibre-zy1ll (Error Code: 1) message whenever I try to launch the program. I uninstalled it and reinstalled made no difference.
I then read the old thread on this subject and did as KG suggested, ie. uninstalled and also deleting Calibre 2 and then reinstalled. No difference. Same error code message.
I can't open the program so I don't know how I can change the config variable as KG suggested. I don't see a way of trying to tweak the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY. And I might find that kind of thing a bit difficult in any case.
Anyone got any advice for the less technically savvy?
(I'm thinking of maybe using Revo uninstaller and uninstalling anything to do with Calibre (presumably it deletes the registry entries as well) and the Calibre library and then trying to install.) That would be kind of last ditch but as I can't imagine life without Calibre....
Or unintalling and maybe going back to a much earlier version of Calibre...
frankg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Changing an ISP should only matter if you:

mail your books,
You may need to reconfigure: Preferences: Sharing books by email

Have configured Windows (IE) to use a proxy or other options in Internet Connections
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
frankg

Thanks and appreciate the reply
I cant access the preferences menu cos I can't open Calibre and I don't share books by email.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run

calibre-debug -g

in a command prompt and post the output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
frankg

HI KG
I did as you suggested and here is the output:
C:\Users\Frank>calibre-debug -g
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_
dvu60_' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 108, in run_entry_point
File "site.py", line 50, in load_module
File "site-packages\calibre\__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
File "site.py", line 50, in load_module
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 52, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\ptempfile.py", line 101, in base_dir
File "tempfile.py", line 333, in mkdtemp
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Te
mp\\calibre_dvu60_'
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The bottom line says your TEMP folder write privileges are blocked. A new Firewall or Security update is the usual cause.
(Many folk let ALL automatic updates just happen. I prefer Notify so I can review and know what is being done. 99% of the time I do them, I just want to KNOW )

Try and give Calibre.exe permissions in the security software
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
frankg

Thanks for that. I use Comodo Firewall and MS Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes. I can't see a way to get into any of them to affect Calibre. BUT I suspect that the culprit is more likely to be one of the Windows Update security updates I did recently though several days and restarts ago. I do not allow automatic updating of them. Though I can't quite work out the timing in that case. Anyway I system restored to before the last round of Windows update security updates and I've got Calibre back - yippee. I will gingerly reupdate Malwarebytes but doubt it can be the culprit. So some experimentation may be necessary.
So pleased to be RECALIBRated!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
frankg - Comodo firewall has been known to cause problems from time to time, do a search for posts in the calibre forum that have 'comodo' in them - you'll find quite a few.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote