Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
support for asian characters

Can anyone tell me how the support for the thai language is? I'm trying to learn thai, so i want to download thai text and read it. Now it should be possible to read thai next to english, and not the one or the other.

I know that PDF is a option, but idealy i want the word documents to work. So can anyone tell me if it will work and/or if it can be hacked to let it work?
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
hmmbug
hmmbug began at the beginning.

Device: None
i can't answer your question yet but I have a PRS600 on order and will also be interested to know if there is Thai support - it's a nice-to-have feature for me, not a deal-breaker. Will update you when it arrives if some else doesn't answer before...
hmmbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Justice Strike
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmbug View Post
i can't answer your question yet but I have a PRS600 on order and will also be interested to know if there is Thai support - it's a nice-to-have feature for me, not a deal-breaker. Will update you when it arrives if some else doesn't answer before...

great. It's kind of a dealbreaker for me though, as i will be using it to learn thai. And it's kind of defeats the purpose if it doesn't show the language. I really am amazed that this isn't universally solved. We had this problem on pc's a decade ago and it has since been solved. And now the exact same problem is present on ereaders. It's absolutely absurd.

well anyway, i'll be happy to wait for the results, when will you be getting this device?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
dweller
dweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DXi, Apple iPad 64GB 3G
Well my PRS-600 doesn't seem to support unicode text in non latin scripts.

We tested the following ebook for a friend of mine since he wanted to buy one for learning Japanese:
http://www.jonnoring.net/unicode-tes...tion-v001.epub

If you want to create a test PDF specifically in Thai, I'm happy to try it out for you (but it most likely won't work).
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
Justice Strike
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweller View Post
Well my PRS-600 doesn't seem to support unicode text in non latin scripts.

We tested the following ebook for a friend of mine since he wanted to buy one for learning Japanese:
http://www.jonnoring.net/unicode-tes...tion-v001.epub

If you want to create a test PDF specifically in Thai, I'm happy to try it out for you (but it most likely won't work).
Well i heard that you could put fonts onto the sony prs600 and refer to that or embed fonts in the epub. Both would suffice for me, but i need some kind of assurance that it will work, otherwise it will be a pretty expensive piece of hardware i will barely use.
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Justice Strike
Enthusiast

here is a pdf (for those interested, book of matthew from the bible)

http://www.biblica.com/bibles/thai/pdf/matthew.pdf

and here is a news page:
http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/

i want to get some news feeds and convert them to a book to try and read in the train.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
It's pretty easily solved using CSS Override + placing a Thai font on the device and pointing the CSS to the font, it'll load it fine.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Justice Strike
Enthusiast

is this a certainty? and how easy is this to implement in calibre? What i pplan to do is get some rss news feeds and generate new daily content to read. But in the morning, i really don't have a lot of time to handcraft a newspaper.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Justice Strike
Enthusiast

noone can answer me?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I feel ya. I want to read book in Thai also but so far on the device I am ordering which is the EZ reader Pocket Pro, only support Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. Maybe they will support Thai so I don't know. I will try the bible pdf file to see if it would read. Will let you know once I have the device. As far as the 600, I am not so sure. Sorry I couldnt be much help here.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
As long as you have a font supporting the language, you can move it to the reader, and use CSS on ePUB format to override the font body of the article, and yes, you can set it in calibre, I believe you can save it as a default so it always includes the CSS override.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #12
hmmbug
hmmbug began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Stirke View Post
well anyway, i'll be happy to wait for the results, when will you be getting this device?
not sure yet... have ordered from BH in the US, they're out of stock right now, need to wait for shipping to Singapore and customs clearance...
hmmbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
pinboke
pinboke began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
If you open a Thai document in your program and print it to a pdf file, put it into your reader, you will most likely be able to read it in the reader. Another way to go is to produce an epub file with an embedded Thai font, which can be done in some Asian programs drifting on the net. Finally, you can save a Thai font into the internal memory of the reader and produce a epub file which refers to THAT font. I did not have any luck with Calibre myself and had to use some manual manipulation to create epub files this way. But, you can try these different methods and find one that best suits your needs.
Cheers.
pinboke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
Well i heard that you could put fonts onto the sony prs600 and refer to that or embed fonts in the epub. Both would suffice for me, but i need some kind of assurance that it will work, otherwise it will be a pretty expensive piece of hardware i will barely use.
Yes, either technique will work. So far as I know, there are not yet any good tools for embedding fonts in an ePub, but for the fonts on the device approach see ePub custom Fonts on 700 and 505. I am not aware of any significant differences for mobile ADE between the 300/600 vs the 505/700, so all the 505/700 stuff should work the same. Note that this still involves changing the ePub to explicitly reference the font.

As others have noted, you can also embed fonts in PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Justice Strike
Enthusiast

i've already ordered the psr600. I hope i won't be forced to convert books manually. That would suck.

I also saw a sdk for the psr500. will that work with the psr600?