Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #286
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm only going by what that one article, in PC Magazine, claimed. They specifically compared this feature to Mobius. ("Amazon is using a plastic-backed 300ppi E Ink display, but it isn't E Ink Mobius; it's the company's own design.") Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but it is a direct and specific claim.

EDIT: DuckieTigger wrote to the article's writer for confirmation. I admit, it is hard to believe that Amazon isn't making a bigger deal out of this — unless most tech writer's involved just missed the importance of the announcement.
I'll ask again, if that was the case, why does it state on the Paperwhite tech details of the screen that its: "Amazon's 6” Paperwhite-display technology with E Ink Carta, built-in light, 300 ppi, optimised font technology and 16-level grey scale".

Which is pretty much word for word what it states on the Oasis tech details: "Amazon’s 7 inch Paperwhite display technology with E Ink Carta™ and built-in light, 300 ppi, optimised font technology, 16-level grey scale".

*Not exactly sure why all the eink Kindles say Paperwhite display technology mind you, even the basic one!

No mention of anything different, it specifically states its a Carta e-ink display. It would be good if true, and it is strangely specific claim by that journalist, but just can't see it since Amazon themselves isn't saying it, and not a single other person picked up on this snippet.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #287
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
No mention of anything different, it specifically states its a Carta e-ink display. It would be good if true, and it is strangely specific claim by that journalist, but just can't see it since Amazon themselves isn't saying it, and not a single other person picked up on this snippet.
I don't know that much about it, but the Kobo Forma has an E-Carta screen and uses a Mobius plastic substrate. It looks E-Carta and plastic substrates can work together.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 04:14 AM   #288
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
No mention of anything different, it specifically states its a Carta e-ink display.
Carta is the name of the kind of E-Ink layer at the front of the display. The backplane isn't specified.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #289
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok but the Kobo lists the Forma with a "with a sturdy 8.0” HD Mobius Carta E Ink screen"

Albeit, I have just realised in the specs it just states Carta. Still seems very unlikely that Amazon would fail to mention this anywhere if it had a plastic substrate.

Also, am I mistaken that I thought I read somewhere that they think the new PW has a glass front screen the same as the Voyage & Oasis? It would appear to be very good value for money if this was true.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:49 PM   #290
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Ok but the Kobo lists the Forma with a "with a sturdy 8.0” HD Mobius Carta E Ink screen"

Albeit, I have just realised in the specs it just states Carta. Still seems very unlikely that Amazon would fail to mention this anywhere if it had a plastic substrate.
My theory still stands that mentioning it might be a mistake for warranty reasons. Look, it is sturdier, I can handle it rougher. Oops. And there is a slight chance that Amazon put the plastic substrate in purely as cost saving to reduce the warranty issues with broken substrate. Not always is a new feature for the benefit of the customer. They do advertise reduced weight.

Quote:
Also, am I mistaken that I thought I read somewhere that they think the new PW has a glass front screen the same as the Voyage & Oasis? It would appear to be very good value for money if this was true.
That information came from me in this thread and another thread. I was told that by CS in chat. So take that with a grain of salt until someone outside of Amazon has a new PW in hand.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #291
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I wonder if the extended warranty on the Paperwhite might be a glue. I priced the 4G model at $230 and for an extra $30 they offered a 3 year extended warranty with accident coverage and said you could drop your device and have it replaced 3 times. That's extremely cheap and very generous coverage. They must have a lot of confidence in it's durability.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #292
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
finally pulled the trigger on the new pw4

i placed and cancelled my order at least 3 times trying to decide if it was a worthwhile purchase for me. i have the oasis 2 and it's nice, but far from ideal in several areas. i traded in the smaller original oasis on it and many times i wish i had that tiny one back. but i won't go into a list of my annoyances.

the amazon kindle software is horrible for searching and storing your content if you have over several hundred books--to say it's a hot mess is to be cruel to hot messes. long ago i was trying to manage about 2500 books using the docs feature and i finally gave that up as a bad business. and manually placing books onto the kindle memory offends my organizational skills and it annoys me no end that it's so difficult to change the titles using calibre by mucking around with the metadata.

so what i've done with the oasis is allow it to store some of the books i've bought on amazon which it helpfully lists under /books/. and i have about 300 books i've put on it using the /docs/ feature. when i first bought it i tried to put my 2500 books on it, and it was still thrashing around a week later trying to index them all and that's when i just put selected books into the /docs/ process.

so what i'm getting the pw4 for is to make another try at storing my entire library which annoyingly, comes in at just over 8gb after it's transferred to kindle so i had to pay an extra $30 for the 32gb model. and i suspect it will be more trouble than it's worth to juggle two kindles--one a 'clean' one and the other one with everything but the kitchen sink on it.

anyway, they didn't sell out of them up until the last hour before i could have gotten it on the 7th--at least not that configuration (32gb, offers, wifi-only), but they did sell out of nearly every fabric and leather cover for it. i ended up getting the bundle because i wanted the merlot leather cover, but resented paying the extra for the worthless charger. i'm alway a kindle unlimited subscriber so i'm hoping the six-month sub offer applies to existing accounts.

hopefully the calibre coder knows it's coming and will quickly issue an update so i can move all my books to it, but it's ok since it'll give me a couple days to see how it works with my 80 amazon books and the 300 docs first before i throw everything at it. i'll just plan to leave it on the charger for a day or two for it to index and check every 2-4 hours for progress.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #293
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

gteague don't just 'throw everything at it' by loading all your books in one go and instead try loading them in smaller batches (maybe 50 at most?), and give it time to index the books first before adding more. A rogue book can cause the Kindle to get stuck indexing, and if you just chuck more books at it when this happens, it'll just keep 'thrashing around' unless you identify which book is causing the problem and remove it.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #294
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
My PW2 is starting to develop a short in the charging/connection port. . . Hmmm!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #295
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
My PW2 is starting to develop a short in the charging/connection port. . . Hmmm!
Trade it in for 25% off the pw4!
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #296
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
gteague don't just 'throw everything at it' by loading all your books in one go and instead try loading them in smaller batches (maybe 50 at most?), and give it time to index the books first before adding more. A rogue book can cause the Kindle to get stuck indexing, and if you just chuck more books at it when this happens, it'll just keep 'thrashing around' unless you identify which book is causing the problem and remove it.
good tip, thanks. that takes patience and constant attention to know when it finishes indexing one batch and another can be loaded and i'm impatient and easily distracted!

i have about 2500 to load and i will take the advice and split them into 250 unit chunks. i could handle 10 batches. and at least any problems would be compartmentalized.

thanks! /guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #297
maydocsach
maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hands on the all new Kindle Paperwhite today.

TBH, I love the box than the device.
maydocsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #298
Ginnia
Connoisseur
Ginnia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New PW and Calibre

I just got my new Paperwhite (Gen 10), and don't know what I'm doing wrong, but Calibre is NOT recognizing it. Any thoughts? The only place I know of to define the device is in DeDRM. Went through the Welcome Wizard, but nothing changed. I've upgraded Calibre to 3.33.1 (64 bit). What else do I need to do??

Thanks for any assistance...

Ginny M
Ginnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #299
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnia View Post
I just got my new Paperwhite (Gen 10), and don't know what I'm doing wrong, but Calibre is NOT recognizing it. Any thoughts? The only place I know of to define the device is in DeDRM. Went through the Welcome Wizard, but nothing changed. I've upgraded Calibre to 3.33.1 (64 bit). What else do I need to do??

Ginny M
It's too new. I think there might be instructions on how to submit/add a new device for Calibre around here somewhere.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #300
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnia View Post

Ginny M
Looking the the Calibre/Devices forum, the information needed to add support for the new Paperwhite has already been supplied and the next release of calibre will have the support baked in (probably on Friday given Kovid's usual release schedule).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote