Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #271
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Mkberg, why were you harassing a technical support agent? They don't design the devices, they just help you troubleshoot issues with current kindles.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #272
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkberg View Post
Me: Thats all I got at the moment thank you.
No comfort light, but it's interesting that Amazon plans to use a reverse screen on all compatible models with a future update. (I'm guessing that won't include the Kindle Basic.) Also interesting to see how quickly they offered to remove ads for free. Does that happen often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Mkberg, why were you harassing a technical support agent? They don't design the devices, they just help you troubleshoot issues with current kindles.
I agree. Also it might not be a bad idea to "x" out the real name of the agent in the future.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-28-2018 at 05:11 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #273
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
mkberg, that exchange with the tech support agent was cringe...not for him, but for you. How embarrassing.

You were basically harassing the same person who tells you how many Skittles are left in stock. In fact the Kindle team will likely never see your concern (if that was your intention), because they're not going to read the whole exchange.

Next time email the Kindle team directly or tweet them or message some big bloggers to write about it. Don't harass those tech support dudes who literally have ZERO input on the device.
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #274
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

"Also interesting to see how quickly they offered to remove ads for free. Does that happen often?"

Like many others, I cringed at that smugly self-satisfied display of crass, undeservedl harassment but I too have had "ads removed gratis" offered very promptly when I contacted KIndle support about an issue with a purchase.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #275
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkberg View Post
Me: Can you please tell me if there are plans to release a kindle paper white with a comfort light (Change color temperature) in the works? I noticed the new one does not have it. Why no include it? I will never buy another kindle with out this feature. Please tell someone.
You are now connected to Dalli Ravi Teja from Amazon.com

Dalli Ravi Teja: Hello, my name is Dalli Ravi Teja. I'm here to help you today.
The new one has a color invert option.

Me: so white on black?

Dalli Ravi Teja: Yes.

Me: that info should be on the description page
Thats fine but its still blue light?

Dalli Ravi Teja: It would be available for all the compatible model s once an update is rolled out.

Me: I have a kobo and I use that at night because the blue light from the kindle bothers me

Dalli Ravi Teja: Yes, I understand what you are asking.
You would like a reading mode on the device,
I am updating this to the feedback team. They collate all the feedback that we receive and work on it to develop a feature in the upcoming software update.

Me: Can I ask specifically why Amazon has not released a model with the ability the change the color temperature? It seems absurd to me they haven't done it. Many of the competitor devices have it. The Kindle would be the best in my opinion if it had that feature and relaxed on the kindle only books and those advertisements.

Dalli Ravi Teja: I am from the support team. I do not have that information.
I can remove the ads from your device free of charge.

Me: Im sure they have received tons of requests about the color temperature change feature, because I know I am not the only one. How and who do I contact on the Kindle engineering department directly to get a real answer?
Really? Removing the ads would be awesome. I know I can go to Amazon to buy stuff.

Dalli Ravi Teja: Sure, I can do that for you.

Me: Cool

Dalli Ravi Teja: Shall I go ahead and remove the ads now?

Me: Sure, on the 3G that'd be appreciated.

Dalli Ravi Teja: Okay, just a moment.
This device has successfully unsubscribed from Special Offers.
Please check now.

Me: Also, the inverted colors are good, but suppose Amazon came out with its own gels to change the color temperature? This option would obviously not be ideal, but why release a new kindle without the temp change. I don't get it. Behind the times
I'll check... thank s

Dalli Ravi Teja: Sure, I agree with you.

Me: Thats great to hear

Dalli Ravi Teja: I respect your point of view. But those matters are out of my purview.

Me: Weird marketing in my opinion

Dalli Ravi Teja: I can update this to the concerned team.

Me: Just give the people what they want, make it well from the start and sell it forever
Incrementally releasing 'new' features is ridiculous

Dalli Ravi Teja: As there is no direct chat with the engineering team. We are the support team so we face the customers.

Me: In my opinion

Dalli Ravi Teja: Okay, sure.

Me: The offers are gone, appreciate it

Dalli Ravi Teja: Thank you

Me: Thats all I got at the moment thank you.
Poor Dalli.....you talked the poor man's head off with a lot of nonsense.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #276
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
From the PC Magazine review ...

https://www.pcmag.com/news/364338/ha...-editors-picks

So the new Paperwhite has also gotten rid of the glass substrate? (I thought they were talking about the outer layer.)
If Amazon had made their own plastic backed screen, they'd be using it for ALL the Kindles. Also, this would be plastered all over the net and it's not. I think it
s still a Carta glass backed screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:20 AM   #277
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Amazon had made their own plastic backed screen, they'd be using it for ALL the Kindles. Also, this would be plastered all over the net and it's not. I think it
In this instance, I agree with you. I'm sure that it the screen itself had a plastic substrate, they'd be making a big deal of it (lighter! shatterproof!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #278
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In this instance, I agree with you. I'm sure that it the screen itself had a plastic substrate, they'd be making a big deal of it (lighter! shatterproof!)
I wouldn't be so sure. Last night I emailed the author of the article to elaborate on his source, and the reply this morning was:
Quote:
That was from Amazon execs at my hands on background briefing. I was surprised too, but no, they said they co developed their specific panel with E Ink and so it was an exclusive component, not off the shelf Mobius.
He might have been the only one asking the right questions.

We will see when we get a tear down, or Amazon makes an announcement.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #279
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! Waterproof and shatterproof might be enough to make me replace my Voyage. I shall wait for confirmation.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #280
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! Waterproof and shatterproof might be enough to make me replace my Voyage. I shall wait for confirmation.
It won't be completely shatterproof if the top glass layer is similiar to the Voyage. I have two busted Voyages laying around. One has broken top and substrate (got stepped on). The other has substrate intact, but the top glass is a tiny bit cracked at a corner which destroyed touch functionality (this one the dog chewed on the case with Voyage inside).
Old 10-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #281
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It won't be completely shatterproof if the top glass layer is similiar to the Voyage. I have two busted Voyages laying around. One has broken top and substrate (got stepped on). The other has substrate intact, but the top glass is a tiny bit cracked at a corner which destroyed touch functionality (this one the dog chewed on the case with Voyage inside).
I had sort-of assumed that the new Paperwhite external layer was also plastic, not glass. I guess we'll just have to wait for user reports.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #282
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I had sort-of assumed that the new Paperwhite external layer was also plastic, not glass. I guess we'll just have to wait for user reports.
That is just a guess on my part. It looks too much like a Voyage without buttons. My PW3 doesn't look very good in sunlight compared to the Oasis 2. The plastic screen with the texture casts shadows making the background look grainy. The smooth glass screen of the Oasis makes the background look uniform and much brighter.

ETA: In chat with CS today I asked if the front of the screen is glass similiar to the Voyage and Oasis, and got told that, yes, it is the same. Take that also with a grain of salt until we do have a real teardown.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 10-29-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #283
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Quote:
I'm only going by what that one article, in PC Magazine, claimed. They specifically compared this feature to Mobius. ("Amazon is using a plastic-backed 300ppi E Ink display, but it isn't E Ink Mobius; it's the company's own design.") Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but it is a direct and specific claim.

EDIT: DuckieTigger wrote to the article's writer for confirmation. I admit, it is hard to believe that Amazon isn't making a bigger deal out of this — unless most tech writer's involved just missed the importance of the announcement.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #284
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In most cases, a new Kindle is a been there/done that from Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #285
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
In most cases, a new Kindle is a been there/done that from Kobo.
I wasn't too excited about previous Paperwhites, but I think the new one looks very, very nice. A color changing light would have been nice, but that's nitpicking at this point.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote