Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #16
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
A little off topic: There is some spam in the Kobo Firmware releases wiki page.

Edit: Also on the Kobo eReader page
Somebody edit the Kobo Firmware Releases page yesterday, and replace the download links, mark 3 to mark 6 and mark 4 to mark 5, in Firmware 4.5.9587, 4.6.9960 and 4.6.9995, see here.

I don't know who did it but I think it was done intentionally.

I undo those changes, and add Firmware 4.6.10075.

Last edited by oren64; 11-15-2017 at 04:12 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 AM   #17
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Why it would be on the Glo only? There was a bug in the previous firmware (4.6.9995) on the Glo, that it displays a black line around the page after reading for some pages.

I'll see if that's fixed with this release. (If I don't forget - it's my kid's reader)

Sure hope that it fixes this issue.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 AM   #18
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
One thing is that wpa_passphrase, wpa_supplicant, and wpa_cli are of noticeable greater size than in 4.6.9995.
Perhaps they patched the KRACK vulnerability.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
Why it would be on the Glo only?
I doubt it is only for the Glo. It will probably start going to other devices in a few days.
Quote:
There was a bug in the previous firmware (4.6.9995) on the Glo, that it displays a black line around the page after reading for some pages.

I'll see if that's fixed with this release. (If I don't forget - it's my kid's reader)

Sure hope that it fixes this issue.
I only remember seeing that reported on the Touch. Are you sure it also affected the Glo?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #20
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I only remember seeing that reported on the Touch. Are you sure it also affected the Glo?
right... mixed up for a moment. I used to have a Glo but the thing my kid uses is in fact a Touch.

Oops
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Just released for the Aura HD.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Upgraded my Glo from 4.6.9995 to 4.6.10075, works fine, I haven't noticed the slightest difference in speed or anything else, but I don't read Japanese books.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:15 AM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I haven't noticed the slightest difference in speed or anything else
Seems like a minor update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
but I don't read Japanese books.
Not sure what they fixed, don't notice a difference and the only thing I really care about is still as cumbersome as ever - Japanese dictionary lookup doesn't even try to detect word boundaries, and moving the boundaries around manually is unforgiving so it takes five attempts to get the word you wanted.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:58 AM   #24
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
I have installed this version on my Aura H2O (2014). The reader reacts faster in all respects than before.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #25
WiBu
WiBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Any 4.6.10075 update news about KA1?
Did anybody try it?
WiBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #26
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
The Mark5 update downloaded and installed in my Aura. Definitely feels faster.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #27
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Japanese dictionary lookup doesn't even try to detect word boundaries,
Agree with you there. It also seems unable to recognize many inflected verbs.

Quote:
and moving the boundaries around manually is unforgiving so it takes five attempts to get the word you wanted.
That's not my experience on either my original Aura or my KA1. Most of the time, I find it pretty easy to move the toggles around to select a word or phrase. There are occasionally problems when a word/phrase spans two lines or two pages.

Perhaps my differing experience is because I tend to read in slightly larger font when reading in Japanese?
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Just upgraded my Glo from 4.6.9995 to 4.6.10075. It seems comparatively faster in page turns, highlighting the texts and dictionary lookups.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #29
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Perhaps my differing experience is because I tend to read in slightly larger font when reading in Japanese?

My font isn't huge but not exactly small, either. About 24 characters per line (column)... comes out about 10 lines (columns) per page. The interface even gets in the way of the word you highlighted. (Random screenshot where I selected 手紙 (letter) and the interface covers the 紙 character)

And to successfully select 手紙 in the first place, it starts you out with just 手 or just 紙 (or another character off), you have to move one of those pins (one of them also covers up part of the 手 character), and if you end up selecting 手紙を (one surplus character) dictionary comes up with nothing.

Ruby/Furigana also completely gets in the way of the selection.

It's barely acceptable if you have to use it rarely but if your Japanese sucks ( (: like mine does ) it's rather frustrating. I know it's made for native speakers and not Japanese learners, but... like so many things, it works just fine with Kindle.

I've given up hope that Kobo will ever improve their firmware. Wouldn't have commented if improved Japanese reading experience wasn't mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tegami.png
Views:	372
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	160043  
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #30
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I've given up hope that Kobo will ever improve their firmware. Wouldn't have commented if improved Japanese reading experience wasn't mentioned.
Hmmm. Your font size seems to be about the same as mine. The book is also the same: Harry Potter. But my Kobo seems to be behaving slightly differently.

I can't recall the text boxes ever covering up the words/phrases I select. Will try and post some screens shots when I get home from work.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote