Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Or, one could realize that MobileRead is not obligated to endorse any particular viewpoint regarding illegal books or sites, except that of the owners/operators, and require no evidence whatsoever before deleting links, posts, or entire threads, and aren't obligated to debate the issue with anyone.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Or, one could realize that MobileRead is not obligated to endorse any particular viewpoint regarding illegal books or sites, except that of the owners/operators, and require no evidence whatsoever before deleting links, posts, or entire threads, and aren't obligated to debate the issue with anyone.
Absolutely correct. Of course, too draconian a policy would make MR (or any forum) an unpleasant place to inhabit...there's a balance to be achieved. Communication hardly ever hurts.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes, I know, and the Admin/Moderation team here is one of the best I've yet encountered, and they DO explain, debate, and participate. But they aren't OBLIGATED to do so, nor to repeat the reasons each time someone complains.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Yes, I know, and the Admin/Moderation team here is one of the best I've yet encountered, and they DO explain, debate, and participate. But they aren't OBLIGATED to do so, nor to repeat the reasons each time someone complains.
But I personally feel that if the reason for doing something is not something I feel needs be kept between the staff only, then it's ok to explain why something was done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A point in Harry's favor: the original poster hasn't come back to defend the site.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #21
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
As I wrote, I am totally happy that illegal websites are not supported by this forum. But I would like to know what HarryT used to identify the fact that the website link lead to a site that was distributing illegal material.

I don't want to challenge - I just want to know. Please...
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
A point in Harry's favor: the original poster hasn't come back to defend the site.
Just a note that, like many, the person might have posted before they left for work or during a break / lunch at work and might not have had a chance to come back and check.

That said I have no idea on the legal / illegal status of the link, and have no consern with the link being pulled ( other then human curiosity ).

Id rather the mods be pre-emtive and then restore the link latter on.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I did happen to see the site before the link was removed -- it had links to recent copyright books, all on hacking. It's hard to get too upset to see books about how to steal being stolen, but no doubt was a copyright violation all the same.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #24
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Another point in Harry's favor (really in MR's favor) is that they could have just removed the thread with no explanation at all. Then there would be none of this discussion/debate because we wouldn't even no about it.

So (IMO) MR is being very considerate in 1) allowing us to know there is something to debate and 2) allowing us to debate the issue.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Well, no.

We left this thread open so when the revolution comes, we'll know who goes up against the wall.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well, no.

We left this thread open so when the revolution comes, we'll know who goes up against the wall.
i'm pretty sure we don't need a thread to know it's the RIAA.

i guess we could use it to figure out who *else*, although i can think of a couple of threads which would be more effective than this one for that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
Just stating: "illegal, link deleted" gives me a police state feeling (and it's the second time i've seen it done today). When I also couple that with HarryT's opinions regarding copyright infringement in the discussion "Book piracy, is ebook piracy on the rise", I get the shivers.

I believe that Haradiri may be referring to this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27295

Please let me explain my reasoning. I do not interfere with member’s posts lightly.

I was the mod who removed the link. It was to a 1972 book. I did a web search and found the book was in copyright:

"This electronic file is Copyright © 1972-2006 Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International Inc., 3764 Watseka Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034, USA. All rights reserved.”

Moreover, the search threw up the notice that:

“You may not excerpt or reproduce more than five percent (5%) of this file in any other medium without the express written permission from the copyright owners."

Now, when I clicked on the link I was taken directly to a copy of the book. There was no way of telling whether it was the original, or whether the member who posted it had uploaded a copy (--which would have been a violation of the 5% rule). And the member had not explained that he had got permission to distribute copies.

Under these circumstances, what is a mod to do? I removed the link (--politely, I hope) and invited the member to re-post if I had made a mistake.

“We can't allow links that risk violating copyright, so I'm afraid that I'm going to delete it.
But if you have the author's permission, Pankaja, then repost it.”

I am very sorry that Haradiri has been worried by this episode. I actually feel rather upset at worrying both him and the original poster in the other thread. The last thing I want to do is upset our members. But we also want to stay legal and comply with Canadian copyright law. (Our servers are in Canada.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
But is it a fellony?

I do understand why MR doesn't want to "recommend" (I don't remember the correct english term) copyright infringement, but why not state "This link seems to be a website containing illegal material, so therefore we will not condone its content and use.

Just stating: "illegal, link deleted" gives me a police state feeling (and it's the second time i've seen it done today). When I also couple that with HarryT's opinions regarding copyright infringement in the discussion "Book piracy, is ebook piracy on the rise", I get the shivers.

If the moderators here are people without any understanding of the different sides of the copyright/piracy debate, then well, I don't want to condone those opinions, peoples or websites.

Though, too their defence, it's an important (and in many aspects) good work their doing here.

but, wouldn't allowing a illegal website link to remain on the board, condone its use by not removing it?

"Police State"? Take a look at the very bottom of this page.

MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.

That tells me they have a right to judge what will or will not be posted here. There are many other places to find content and opinions. If I were unhappy with the way the moderators ruled, I'd definitely find somewhere else to go. I'm just saying...........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #29
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
but, wouldn't allowing a illegal website link to remain on the board, condone its use by not removing it?
Yes, if we left illegal links then it would be a free advertisement. We can't consistently deprecate illegal activities and simultaneously point them out to people.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
In the US it's called contributory infringement. IIRC, it's settled Federal case law; see the 2600 Magazine article on Wikipedia. Personally, I fall more into the "abolish or radically change copyright side of things," but I don't represent this forum. The moderators OTOH do, and they are perfectly correct to protect the forum and its owners from legal harassment.
Actually, it should fall under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) if there's a notification and takedown policy for posted links to copyrighted content. This provides a safe harbor for the ISP/site owners.

Note: After a bit of searching, I did NOT find a takedown policy on the site (if it exists, it is not evident on the main page), nor identification of a designated agent to receive reports of potential violations. Not conforming to the DMCA Liability Limitation Act is CRAZY for this kind of website. Merely stating that "the site owners are not responsible for posted content" is NOT sufficient. Without conforming, the moderators are simply not protecting the site nor themselves.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, ebook, ebooks, free ebook, free ebooks