Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
sebastian
Wintersmith
sebastian doesn't littersebastian doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question Series information missing in shelf

Hello,

normally when I open one of my shelves I see the book title, the author and the series name and index of the book.

Now I have a few books where this information is missing, for example "The Long Utopia" in the "The Long Earth" series:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Does anyone know why this is missing and/or where this information comes from? I sideload my books with the newest Calibre and The KoboTouch driver and there was no (noticeable) difference between the books with the missing information and the other ones that have the information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Shelf.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	141911  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-13-2015 at 12:32 PM.
sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Kobo does not set this information by itself (unless except if you bought the book directly from Kobo - but so far I've only seen it in previews from the shoppe).

Usually this information is set either by Calibre (+Kobo addon), or my AutoShelf mod if you prefer not to use Calibre for this kind of thing.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Hello,

normally when I open one of my shelves I see the book title, the author and the series name and index of the book.

Now I have a few books where this information is missing, for example "The Long Utopia" in the "The Long Earth" series:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Does anyone know why this is missing and/or where this information comes from? I sideload my books with the newest Calibre and The KoboTouch driver and there was no (noticeable) difference between the books with the missing information and the other ones that have the information.
Did you plug in and eject your Kobo with Calibre one extra time? I believe after you transfer the book(s) and eject the device., you need to do one additional plugin and eject to see the series information.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-13-2015 at 12:35 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
sebastian
Wintersmith

Okay, I have the KoboUtils addon, but the information is not set somehow...
Old 09-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
That data is from the series and series_index fields in calibre, and is not sent with the book, rather it's set on the next connection of the device to calibre, and also requires that metadata management is set to automatic.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
sebastian
Wintersmith

I have the metadata management on automatic and connected it a few times since then but the information still doesn't show up. Where is the data put on the device? I looked on the SQLite database but can't find it there.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is the data present in calibre? Do the books show uo in calibre with series info?

Can you run calibre in debug mode and post the log showing all entries from device connection to device disconnection.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
sebastian
Wintersmith

Yes the data is in calibre and is showing correct. I'll get the debug output
Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Delete Post

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-11-2015 at 04:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You first have to enable series information.

Go to Preferences and then Plugins. Find the KoboTouch plugin and customize it. Check Set Series Information and then restart Calibre.

Now when you plugin your Kobo, it will update the series information for books already on your Kobo. It uses the information from the series field.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
sebastian
Wintersmith

Here is the debug log: http://pastebin.com/rfBWt5yq

@JSWolf: I have the Set Series Information enabled
Old 09-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
sebastian
Wintersmith

I don't know why, but now after the 4th or 5th time the series information turned up.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I don't know why, but now after the 4th or 5th time the series information turned up.
Odd. But at least it's working now.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just to be clear, the series information is set if:

- Option selected in the driver configuration
- Metadata data management set to automatic
- The book is processed into the device library
- Calibre matches the book in the library to the book on the device. i.e. There is a tick against the book in calibre when the device is connected.

If all the above, the driver will set the series information whatever is on the calibre library. All this means that the change is done on the next connect after the book is sent to the device. It also means if you clear the series in the calibre library, it is cleared on the device.

Unless there is an error, it shouldn't take four or five connections. I can see from the log that one series is set. And I can't remember if the 128 books is the number in that series, the number of changes or the total books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It might be that some changes will only show on the device after the old data has been bumped from the cache. This usually happens when sending new cover mages, the device continues to use the old cover image for a while which can make it seem like the new cover wasn't sent, but I think it can happen with some other metadata too. Turning the device off and on again will force the cache to be cleared and the new metadata to be loaded.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote