Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Lightbulb Kobo should purchase Calibre

Just had a crazy thought, please excuse if this has been discussed before.

I think Calibre, obviously the iTunes of the ebook world, is a jewel just sitting out there under the noses of Amazon and Kobo. I know that Kobo has desktop software already, but what an incredible halo effect could be experienced if they purchased Calibre and kept Goyal on as its head of development. Searches in "Get books" could load the Kobo store first, but you could use Kobo's software then to manage all your ebooks and eReaders.

And what a great buy-line: "Already have a Kindle? Converting your eBooks over to your new Kobo is as simple as a click with Calibre by Kobo."

I think its a no-brainer. Any thoughts?
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
And what a great buy-line: "Already have a Kindle? Converting your eBooks over to your new Kobo is as simple as a click with Calibre by Kobo."
That tagline won't work well. There are a lot of countries where DRM removal is illegal even if it's just to format shift the content for your own use
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Good point. Unfortunate, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That tagline won't work well. There are a lot of countries where DRM removal is illegal even if it's just to format shift the content for your own use
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Personally I would absolutely hate to see Calibre owned by Kobo, or by any one ereader system. This is the same Kobo that introduces more bugs each firmware while older bugs linger on. It would be the end of the great piece of software we've all come to rely on to manage our libraries and deal with the shortcomings of firmware across all readers, not just Kobo.

I'm going to have nightmares now about Calibre in the hands of the Kobo developers...

Edit: I will add though that I don't think there's even a sliver of a chance of this ever happening... Kovid wouldn't do that to the reading community, especially after all the time he's put into making Calibre the excellent program that it is and updating it weekly.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-09-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Don't lose any sleep over it. Calibre uses the GPL. Even if future versions were to somehow become closed source, the existing code remains open source and available to the community. Having said that, it would indeed be a tragedy to lose the developers to Kobo or anyone else. Kovid and the others working on Calibre and on Calibre Companion have done the whole community an enormous favour with this software.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
My own spin on this is that I don't much like Calibre, and personally don't want to use it, so I'd be unhappy if it became a required part of using a Kobo.

I have no criticism of Calibre, and certainly don't wish to stop or hinder anyone else from using it, but I don't like it, and don't wish to be forced to use it. So if Kobo were to buy the app, I would *hope* it would remain optional. (Though, in the nature of development by small teams, I know that doesn't happen; they'd have to husband resources by forcing everyone down the one path.)

I bought my Kobo to handle the parsing and display of books I put on it. The rest, I'd rather handle myself.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If it were likely that any device maker would want to buy and incorporate calibre... that would imply a level of intelligence such that calibre would never have been necessary.

(This was Kovid's response to my tongue-in-cheek remark that they should take a leaf out of his book regarding recent footnotes support (speaking of which, !))

And I agree Kovid would never do it. Sometimes you can tell, a developer has too much pride in his work to sell out to the monoliths.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Calibre is GPL, nothing (as far as I know) prevents Kobo from copying it, changing the name to "Kalibre" if they wish, distributing it with their readers (or selling it) and advertising it, as long as they provide access to the source code.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I think Calibre, obviously the iTunes of the ebook world, is a jewel just sitting out there under the noses of Amazon and Kobo. I know that Kobo has desktop software already, but what an incredible halo effect could be experienced if they purchased Calibre and kept Goyal on as its head of development. Searches in "Get books" could load the Kobo store first, but you could use Kobo's software then to manage all your ebooks and eReaders.

I think it would be great. Kobo could fight for a legal precedent for it being OK to strip DRM for ebooks for personal format shifting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kobo would probably immediately remove the ability to strip the DRM of its books. Kobo maybe should purchase Calibre but I pray that they never do. Getting extremely smart people like Kovid to develop for them on the other hand would be a brilliant idea.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

Please don't give me nightmares
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
BWAAHAAhaaahaaha...

[Image violates posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

In a window on Kobo desktop, GPL K'thalibre awaits conversions...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-09-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's safe to say that Kobo have at some point used calibre for some purpose. See https://github.com/kobolabs/calibre
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
By the way, I hope you all send a donation to Calibre now and then.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote