Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
a Problem with a Kobo book purchase

I'm having a problem with a Kobo book. I bought one this afternoon, I got the receipt via email and the amount is showing as a pending deduction from my bank account, but although it shows up in my purchase history it doesn't show in my library and when I try to download it I get a webpage with the address header of :
http://ebook.lightningsource.com/Messages/RetailerNotAuthorized.htm below which there is a message that reads:
The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later. There was no message on the page the book was offered on that there was any geo restriction i.e. no message that 'this book is not available in your country' or anything. Has this happened to anyone else here? I have sent Kobo an email inquiry about the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
but although it shows up in my purchase history it doesn't show in my library and when I try to download it I get a webpage with the address header of :
If it doesn't show in your library, how are are you going about trying to download it in the first place?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, confusing. If not from the library where did the download link come from (never heard of Kobo using Ingram/LightningSource before either, they have their own content servers).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Is there a checkbox next to the book under library/purchases? I think you can select it and then hit bookmark and it will show up in your library.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It did show up under my purchase history and now it shows up under library as well but I still can't download it.
Advert
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've only ever bought Kobo books directly from the Kobo bookstore, so I'm not certain what kind of third-party process you went through to buy yours, but ...

Quote:
now it shows up under library as well but I still can't download it.
You get the same type error trying to download it, or there is no apparent way TO download it from your library?

If it shows in your Kobo Library, but there is no "Adobe DRM EPUB" download button ... then chances are, it's a book that's only available in their kepub format. Which means you can't download it as a standalone epub file (nor can you download the acsm file to fulfill such a book). You must use a Kobo device or a Kobo reading app to be able to get/read the book.

And no... they don't explicitly tell you before buying when it's only available as a kepub. It's been a point of contention with many Kobo customers for a while now.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

There is an adobe drm pdf button and I did buy it from the main Kobo store. I didn't know it was in pdf format before buying either. Though I've never had any trouble downloading pdf files that are adobe files before either. They have them all the time through the monthly deal at the University of Chicago Press.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'd suggest just waiting a bit. I've never had that sort of trouble with Kobo, but that's the exact same kind of trouble that caused me to stop buying from B&N: downloads not being immediately available (page errors... download button not available ... blah, blah, blah). Sometimes I had to wait almost 24 hours before I could download a stand-alone file from them (even though it was immediately available if I wanted to access it through the Nook app).

Hopefully it turns out OK for you.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd suggest just waiting a bit. I've never had that sort of trouble with Kobo, but that's the exact same kind of trouble that caused me to stop buying from B&N: downloads not being immediately available (page errors... download button not available ... blah, blah, blah). Sometimes I had to wait almost 24 hours before I could download a stand-alone file from them (even though it was immediately available if I wanted to access it through the Nook app).

Hopefully it turns out OK for you.
Thanks. I hope so too. I've read the book in paper and just wanted to be able to get a copy in ebook. It's "longitude" by Dava Sobel. Michael Gambon starred in the A&E movie based on it. He played John Harrison who built the 1st (working) marine chronometer.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Probably wouldn't hurt to keep updating Kobo with the fact that you still can't access it. May make it easier come refund time if the situation never straightens itself out.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I search on that book I get the following weirdness:
  • No list of valid devices
  • No ability to download a preview
  • No synopsis
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Somebody mentioned in another thread that they had good luck using this customer service number with a download issue:

1-800-368-5390
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When I search on that book I get the following weirdness:
  • No list of valid devices
  • No ability to download a preview
  • No synopsis
Weird. Maybe because you're in Canada? Is this the link that you're going to for it? http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...ime#readThisOn

This is what I see:

Quote:
Read This On

DESKTOP
eREADERS
TABLETS
IOS
ANDROID
BLACKBERRY
WINDOWS
When I add the preview to my library, it shows as
Quote:
Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I was looking at http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/longitude-1 your link says not available in Canada.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Interesting. Crich, which one is the one you purchased? Are you still having an issue?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote