Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't have any kind of "Cloud" account and Win 8.1 works just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #62
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Activity Based Management.
Yes but not what I meant; it also means "Anything But Microsoft" and thus explained your disliking Windows 8
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #63
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Question on the app, if anyone is using it

I won't be using it a great deal, but it's handy to have for a quick read on my Laptop

Is syncing between devices working ok for others

If I read in the Win 8 app and then go to another device it prompts me that I have read on another device do I want to go to that location (this is good)
If I read on another device, then go back to the Win 8 app it just opens at the last page I was at in win 8, not the page I was at on the other device

Don't have a Kobo ereader this is with Android Kobo app/Win 8
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
If I read in the Win 8 app and then go to another device it prompts me that I have read on another device do I want to go to that location (this is good)
If I read on another device, then go back to the Win 8 app it just opens at the last page I was at in win 8, not the page I was at on the other device

From your description, it sounds as though the Android app is not sending Kobo the updated sync information.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #65
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
From your description, it sounds as though the Android app is not sending Kobo the updated sync information.
Thanks

That's what I was thinking (or the new Win 8 app is not reading from server, only sending updates)

I will try setting up the Kobo cloud reader and see if I can narrow it down
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #66
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
You do realize you had to set up an account and provide an email address to post here, right? To use your words, isn't that kind of thing only for people without aspiration and critical thinking?

I still don't understand what advertisements or "dashboard" you are talking about. If you are talking about live tiles on the start screen, that is dependent on the app and can be turned off.
I don't need an account if I just want to read the articles. If I want to post something in this forum I have to authenticate myself but this is necessary for the forum provider to have 'legal security'.

Why do I need to give my email address for using, updating and downloading (free) Apps? Microsoft wants to combine your email address so it can track you through the web (xbox live, xbox cloud, ...).

I refer to the Tiles screen from Windows 8. I have seen advertisement for XBox Live and XBox One in general.

I'm always astonished how naive North Americans react (or not react) on privacy issues.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you are seing adverts on your Windows 8 home screen you've got some app on there which is displaying them. The solution is simple: get rid of it.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #68
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The solution is simple: get rid of it.
I did. I use Windows 7 again.

I think that's enough about Windows 8 anyways.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #69
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
pff, you know what he means
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Question on the app, if anyone is using it

I won't be using it a great deal, but it's handy to have for a quick read on my Laptop

Is syncing between devices working ok for others

For me it is not syncing at all - the android app and the reader sync fine, but on Windows 8.1 pro there is no sync in either direction.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 8 surface