Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #91
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
What is a launcher and why would you need one (other than resizing this widget)?
You don't need one, but you may want one. I use ADW.Launcher for the following reasons:

Icons can be renamed (and the labels can be removed, if that is your thing). It's handy because the icon labels are truncated if they are too long.

The Kobo icons at the bottom of the launcher can be changed. I changed mine to Cool Reader, ES File Explorer, Kobo, and Kindle since that gives me access to all of my ebooks.

You can change the number of screens the launcher uses. For example: my main screen is dedicated to my favourite apps while a second screen is for semi-private stuff like calendar, contacts, and email. The other three screens simply don't exist.

The "grid size" can be changed. I set it up to display 4 icons across and 5 icons vertically since the larger spacing makes it look less cluttered.

The launcher can also rotate to landscape mode, which makes it much less disorienting when switching from an app that is being used in landscape mode (example: Adobe Reader) to the launcher.

Those are just a few examples. I'm sure that I'm missing a few that I actually use and a lot that other people use. There are also much more powerful launchers out there with a dizzying array of additional features.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #92
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
This is just part of the Kobo Mosaic widget. Press and hold, then you should be able to delete. Then press and hold on the screen again, select Widget, select Kobo (large) or Kobo (small).
Thanks! I never understood the whole 'widget' thing before, but I get it now. Problem is, I want to keep the mosaic, but without the 'recommended' banner. Oh well, guess I'll just have to suffer. Geez, talk about an FWP!
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #93
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post
Thanks! I never understood the whole 'widget' thing before, but I get it now. Problem is, I want to keep the mosaic, but without the 'recommended' banner. Oh well, guess I'll just have to suffer. Geez, talk about an FWP!
You can remove the 'recommended' banner by installing a 3rd party Launcher as discussed here.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #94
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Any improvements in the actual reading experience? Kobo for iOS and the actual Kobo Touch let you turn full justification off, for instance, if you prefer that (and I do). Has that feature been implemented in this Vox update? Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #95
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
SOD is gone for me and this is nice! I left a not fully charged Vox on standby (wifi left on but will sleep) for over 12 hours. Started up perfectly, wifi reconnected automatically, still 80% battery power left!
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #96
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Question

Has there been any official statement of the changes/ improvements in this update yet? Also - is the update showing up for anyone outside the US and Canada yet?
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #97
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Any improvements in the actual reading experience? Kobo for iOS and the actual Kobo Touch let you turn full justification off, for instance, if you prefer that (and I do). Has that feature been implemented in this Vox update? Thanks!
Robert,

There are few changes to the Kobo reader on the Vox in this update. This is the list for the beta. There were slight differences in the production update.

* Facebook Timeline
* Facebook Timeline lets you share what you read, when you read, and more, on Facebook's new Timeline feature.
* Share all your books on Facebook Timeline, or choose the books you want to share.
* Easily turn off Facebook Timeline if you don't want to share.
* Book recommendations
* A brand new "Just For You" menu shows you recommended titles, new releases, and more.
* New Recommendations widget on the Home Screen shows you the latest reads you'll enjoy.
* Better Reading Menu - An new and improved Reading Menu for easy access to book settings, account management, social settings, and more.
* Rdio - New and improved Rdio app
* Various bug fixes and improvements

As you can see, the changes are mostly for social reading.

If you like to be able to affect the way the book looks, you might like the Mantano reader, which comes in both free and premium versions. It allows you to change many aspects of the book appearance, including alignment.

Love your books, by the way. I'm waiting for the paperback edition of Wonder, to see if the ebook price comes down some. I see your web site has links for hardcover and paperback, but not ebooks. I'm surprised, now that I know you use ereaders.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #98
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Well, SOD most certainly NOT gone here. I tried changing the wifi to turn off when screen is off, used the power button to put the Vox into sleep mode, and I had to do the 10 second reset to get the Vox started again. When it restarted, the wifi was turned off and I had to manually turn it on. So back to the usual 'never sleep' policy with the wifi.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #99
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Different installed apps? Slightly different hardware? Mine isn't rooted, never has been (first one was). Dumb luck?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #100
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Still no sign of this update on my Vox here in the UK...how odd....
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #101
jsokal
jsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: vox
This was software update,.. Not a firmware update...it doesn't fix anything
jsokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #102
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
[QUOTEI am also seeing a new problem now, it has decided the book I am reading is now a preview copy and asks me to buy now when I try to turn to next page. I bought it once already I don't plan to buy it again. Tried deleting it and sync, doesn't come back, and it is now gone from my library on the web site too! Guess I will have to read it on my touch and remember not to sync that until after I finish reading that book. Glad I keep backups of the epubs.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I have 3 books that I have already purchased that are now listed has previews. I tried to download them and it worked without more charges but they come back as previews when I open my Vox after a charge Anybody else had that problem?
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #103
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
Still no sign of this update on my Vox here in the UK...how odd....
Clearly it's a promotional update for North America. Nothing important has been fixed. Don't worry about it, comrade,
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #104
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Clearly it's a promotional update for North America. Nothing important has been fixed. Don't worry about it, comrade,
------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't know how 'good he has it'...lol. When the ah..er...'update' shows up in the U.K.....run like hell, and pull out your battery before it even gets started, lol.

For myself...I'm now looking elsewhere at the new ASUS 7 inch when it comes out. I'll now buy from any bookstore that I decided to load the supportive app for. I want a great running e-reader at system level with good battery life. Not books taking up my memory space...that I wouldn't even download the preview for...

This 'update'? Very disappointed.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #105
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't know how 'good he has it'...lol. When the ah..er...'update' shows up in the U.K.....run like hell, and pull out your battery before it even gets started, lol.

This 'update'? Very disappointed.

im in the uk and def in no hurry for it! enough facebook garbage 'out there' already, without this social blurgh being rammed down my neck every time i fancy a read...and more tat with recommended reading etc? yuk. so yep, im not chuffed already.
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote