Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #76
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I've bought a lot from Kobo but my wife and kids do too so you would think the suggestions would be good but my suggestions are very odd, weight loss and stuff like that which we've NEVER bought. That said I could stand to lose a good 20-30 lbs so maybe it is better than I think...
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #77
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Managed the new update no problem. Hate the 'Just for you' thingy. The recommendations are ridonkulous, crap I would NEVER look at, ever. Obviously Kobo doesn't base their recommendations on my purchase history.

Anyone figure out how to get rid of the 'Recommended Just for You' banner off the home screen? I can live with the little pink icon at the bottom.
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #78
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsokal View Post
As far as I am concerned this was a software update NOT a firmware update. Thats why the problems were not fixed.
Correct. At no tim3e during the update did it say the firmware was also being updated. Just to make sure, I went to All Apps and checked and there was no new firmware available.

I haven't seen any change in the behaviour of the Vox, other than when on automatic brightness, it no longer fluctuates wildly, or even reacts to covering the sensor.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #79
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post
Anyone figure out how to get rid of the 'Recommended Just for You' banner off the home screen? I can live with the little pink icon at the bottom.
This is just part of the Kobo Mosaic widget. Press and hold, then you should be able to delete. Then press and hold on the screen again, select Widget, select Kobo (large) or Kobo (small).
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #80
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Oh and while I hate auto dim so I normally turn it off I can confirm it doesn't work if I enable it after the update.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #81
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
I've bought a lot from Kobo but my wife and kids do too so you would think the suggestions would be good but my suggestions are very odd, weight loss and stuff like that which we've NEVER bought. That said I could stand to lose a good 20-30 lbs so maybe it is better than I think...
Not sure what Kobo uses to generate the recommended reading widget, but this is what I'm seeing right now.

The first one is a book about serial killer Russell Williams, and I've download a book about that from Kobo. Previously, the first one was something about Mercedes cars, but it's not there now. I'm a bit of a car buff, I have a 1985 Camaro IROC-Z, but Mercedes is way out of my budget. It looks like the recommendations change from day to day.

BTW, is there an screen capture app available? I had to take that picture with my digital camera. What a PITA!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #82
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
The only way to screen capture is with root apps.

I did the update on my mom's.. And I don't have the recommended for you on the mosaic widget. Which is fine by me. But going into the library part of recomendations.. It does seem to go from purchase history cause some of them are very similair.. Books I've read before but...

I'm still trying to play at rooting it.... I'm getting confused though..
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #83
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Remove the Recommended for You Bar from Kobo Mosaic Widget!!!!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post
If you are running a 3rd party launcher like ADW launcher or Go Launcher etc.... they all allow widgets to be re-sized by performing a long press on them. Usually some sort of re-size arrows will appear and you can then change their size as you wish.

Where this comes into play with the new and "improved" Kobo Mosaic widget, is that when re-sized vertically by one step, the bloody 'recommended for you' bar shrinks down to only show a thin grey band. No more all German books when I don't have any German books in my library, let alone speak the language!

Sadly unless you are willing to side-load a 3rd party launcher, which tend to run faster and much smoother than the stock Kobo Launcher, you won't be able to do this.

Cheers

Last edited by Kboland; 03-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #84
ZEDenterrpizes
Dominee Dan
ZEDenterrpizes began at the beginning.

Help a poor sucker out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I've created a little bit of a package, and here are some instructions:

1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
4) Copy the file adb_usb.ini to the new .android folder
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options...
Hey all,

Can anyone help me? I've done something dumb, apparently. I'm running Mountain Lion on my MacBook (which I'm enjoying for the most part) and I've gotten adb running properly. I've even got it so that adb finds my Vox alright.

HOWEVER, I totally have not been able to get SuperOneClick working, and I can't seem to find a nice neat package that'll do zergrush, or any other exploit stated to work for the vox on a mac. Can anyone help me with MACINTOSH OS X Mountain Lion instructions to get this to work?

I would really like to re-root my vox. But am obviously struggling. Thanks for your time, everyone!

Dan.
ZEDenterrpizes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #85
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDenterrpizes View Post
Hey all,

Can anyone help me? I've done something dumb, apparently. I'm running Mountain Lion on my MacBook (which I'm enjoying for the most part) and I've gotten adb running properly. I've even got it so that adb finds my Vox alright.

HOWEVER, I totally have not been able to get SuperOneClick working, and I can't seem to find a nice neat package that'll do zergrush, or any other exploit stated to work for the vox on a mac. Can anyone help me with MACINTOSH OS X Mountain Lion instructions to get this to work?

I would really like to re-root my vox. But am obviously struggling. Thanks for your time, everyone!

Dan.
Hi dan,

Try to open the zergrush runme.bat file and run each command individually. There are places where you are doing adb push, be sure to put the full paths to the files of you are having troubles. Good luck!!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #86
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Unhappy USB driver no good on 64bit Win7

Doesn't work on 64 bit Win7. See error message attached.

Other ideas?

I don't have a roommate with 32 bit Win7 fyi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arg.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	83441  
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #87
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samysdad View Post
Doesn't work on 64 bit Win7. See error message attached.

Other ideas?

I don't have a roommate with 32 bit Win7 fyi
I was getting the same error message when I tried the re-root on my x64 machine as well. Might be that it only works on x32.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #88
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
If you are running a 3rd party launcher like ADW launcher or Go Launcher etc.... they all allow widgets to be re-sized by performing a long press on them. Usually some sort of re-size arrows will appear and you can then change their size as you wish.

Where this comes into play with the new and "improved" Kobo Mosaic widget, is that when re-sized vertically by one step, the bloody 'recommended for you' bar shrinks down to only show a thin grey band. No more all German books when I don't have any German books in my library, let alone speak the language!

Sadly unless you are willing to side-load a 3rd party launcher, which tend to run faster and much smoother than the stock Kobo Launcher, you won't be able to do this.

Cheers
What is a launcher and why would you need one (other than resizing this widget)?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #89
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A launcher is another name for the whole interface that you see when you turn the Vox on. Kind of like the Windows Desktop on your PC.

http://androidtipguys.com/2011/07/wh...roid-launcher/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #90
Kboland
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
What is a launcher and why would you need one (other than resizing this widget)?
Just allows more freedom overall as far as customizing the device goes. For instance, I only have 2 home screens instead of the default 5 that the Kobo launcher runs. I've played around with most of the popular launchers on the market, and have found the all offer a smoother user interface experience than stock.

To each their own as they say

Cheers