Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
HappyChris
Enthusiast
HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nexus 10 (2 of them), Nexus 5, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, iMac
Angry Crapware being associated with caribe downloads

In case you don't know, the 'update calibre' web page is currently offering 'PDF Mac Master', a dubious vehicle for malware, they say. Google 'PDF Mac Master review' to check...

Seems bad company to keep.
HappyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've always found the official Calibre site clean and free of such things:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download

Where did you see that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	172380  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I see random ads there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8453C1BC-824D-45A6-A6C9-2819CE8A3250.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	172381  
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I've always found the official Calibre site clean and free of such things:

Where did you see that?
Agreed. In fact, I just updated one of my Windows 10 devices from the official site last night and there was no evilness associated with it.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Agreed. In fact, I just updated one of my Windows 10 devices from the official site last night and there was no evilness associated with it.
I turned off my ad blocker and refreshed the download page.

Still clean and ad-free
Advert
Old 07-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you run an adblocker, then sure you probably don't see any ads on calibre's download page.

Otherwise, yes. There are ads displayed on calibre's download page (not that Kovid has any control over which ads get displayed).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
phossler
Wizard

I did try it without my adblocker:

Quote:
I turned off my ad blocker and refreshed the download page.
Is there something else to do force ads? I have a pretty good list of sites in my HOSTS to bypass, but since I'm happy, I'm reluctant mess with my config too much just to experiment
Old 07-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I see (and ignore) ads on the official download site.
Kovid has complained about inappropriate ads before.
I don't think the site ad purveyor can 'escape' if the ad leads directly to malware. There is lots of software sold that does thing poorly or you could do yourself (with a little effort) with existing tools.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I did try it without my adblocker:

Is there something else to do force ads? I have a pretty good list of sites in my HOSTS to bypass, but since I'm happy, I'm reluctant mess with my config too much just to experiment
It's probably your HOSTS file.

But regardless of how it's getting blocked in your browser, my main point is that Kovid (nor anyone who utilizes an ad service like this) can control the ads that get displayed. And no matter how well the ad service in question vets their content, ads for questionable content WILL slip through the cracks from time to time. I find the notion of calibre somehow being associated with the questionable content being displayed by the ad service to be complete nonsense. If that's the case, then every single website that displays ads is associated with "questionable content" at some point or another.

Block or ignore the ads, I say. Expecting Kovid to be able to ensure that the ad content that displays on his download page will always meet with everyone's personal notion of "not at all dubious" at all times is silly. Can't be done. And while I reserve the right to block any ad I want, I also have no beef with anyone who wants to create a revenue stream via ad content from an ad service.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard

Agree - everyone has to pay the bills

There's a kids cartoon site that I have to keep a close grandfather's eye on since it constantly serves up age 18+ very suggestive ads. I spend a fair amount of time trying to keep my HOSTS file ahead of them since even a good Ad Block Plus can't seem to suppress them all.

Many times it seems I can't even block them with my HOSTS
Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the ads on the calibre website come from google adsense -- not something I can realistically control.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
HappyChris
Enthusiast
HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nexus 10 (2 of them), Nexus 5, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, iMac
Thank you for giving us your end of this mode of business, Kovid.

It must stick in your craw a bit to realise that your totally excellent product is tarnished in a users estimation when they find that they've been served a bit of Internet Evil for trusting the integrity of people they might think you approve of. This abrogation of responsibility by Google, et al, for being a major link in the supply chain for hoodlums' dodgy software can't last forever.
HappyChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre malware