Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
SomeGuyNamedDan
SomeGuyNamedDan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 3 keyboard menu problem

Howdy folks,

New guy here - my old Kindle sat on a shelf for about 8 months and the battery drained. When I finally tried to charge it up a couple weeks ago, it wouldn't recharge with the AC adapter, but it does recharge if I plug the USB into my laptop.

But now the "menu" button either doesn't work regularly (or more often than not - it doesn't work at all). To make matters worse, after reading for about 20 minutes, the menu will begin to pop-up on the screen every 3-5 seconds, making it impossible to turn pages.

I've done a few resets to no avail (sliding the power switch to on and holding it for 20 seconds). I did not take the back off to try to do a hard reset since I'm wondering if the keyboard itself is now broken - despite no one using the device for eight months.

I looked around and found a forum that recommended I come here to ask if anyone might have a clue what's going on. It worked fine last summer, so it's very odd that it's suddenly looking like a paperweight.
SomeGuyNamedDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Have you done the Update? IF not try that see how it does.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest doing a Factory Reset, and see if that helps.

(Menu / Settings / Menu / Reset to Factory Defaults)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Have you done the Update? IF not try that see how it does.
I just turned it on and off three times unfortunately it's going in a schizoid mode. When I press the "menu" button, it opens and closes the menu screen constantly - right now it flashes the menu screen (turn off wireless, shop in Kindle store, view archived items, etc) then closes that screen to reveal my home page, then the menu screen pops-up again - right now it's loading and closing the menu screen like every second.

So frustrating.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest doing a Factory Reset, and see if that helps.

(Menu / Settings / Menu / Reset to Factory Defaults)
Thanks - will try that if it ever quits constantly opening and closing the menu screen.
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then Turn it OFF! Give it a few mins turn it back on. That don't work Hold the Switch till it Goes OFF then REBoots its self. Its Stuck for sure.

BTW if those don't work contact CS ask to speak to a Tech.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 03-24-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
BTW if those don't work contact CS ask to speak to a Tech.
Had it off for 20 minutes, reset it again, and turned it on - still had the menu problem.

But I was finally able to access the settings by repeatedly pushing the down arrow while the menu opened and closed - and then reset to factory defaults. This allowed me to read for an hour or so without the menu popping up.

Feeling hopeful, I tried accessing the Kindle store, and immediately the menu screen starting popping up repeatedly - I tried turning off the wireless thinking that might be causing the problem, and was able to read again without the menu popping up - but it will pop up incessantly once the wireless is turned back on and I try to connect with it, so I will call CS.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you downloaded and installed the firmware update that was recently issued? This could perhaps be a result of failing to apply it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you downloaded and installed the firmware update that was recently issued? This could perhaps be a result of failing to apply it.
Yup, it's up to date.

CS had never heard of the problem before, and since it's long out of warranty, couldn't be of assistance beyond giving the trade in value. Alas.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Have you tried holding the power button for a full 40 seconds. Also remember that device is 5 years old.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Not really Cin My K3 I just traded in was only 2 years old.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

What did they offer for Trade-in Value? I sent mine in & got $50 OFF a PW3 then the PW3 was on sale so I paid only $50 for the it. I had till the end of the year to buy. So if you are current broke I advise you still consider the deal.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
While it was put away was anything laying on it that might have been pressing down on the menu key? Or any key? That might cause a key to be either stuck or loose.

Anyway I second the suggestion about a factory reset if you can get that far.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #14
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Have you tried holding the power button for a full 40 seconds. Also remember that device is 5 years old.
Yup - held it for one minute timed with a clock once, didn't help.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
What did they offer for Trade-in Value? I sent mine in & got $50 OFF a PW3 then the PW3 was on sale so I paid only $50 for the it. I had till the end of the year to buy. So if you are current broke I advise you still consider the deal.
I didn't even ask as I read on their site they only give ya $5 for a defective unit (which is why I was hoping for a fix. I love this Kindle and was hoping to keep the old dog going, but oh well).

Mine is the old 2010 version and has the leather cover with the built in light, which I've seen people asking like $80+ for on Amazon, so I'll probably just eBay the case and toss in the Kindle for parts, and sadly read with the Kindle app on my iPad until there's a good sale on the new Kindles.