Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
cxg2014
cxg2014 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
need help: I select Erase MMC0 in my kindle gen 8 recovery menu..

Now it can't boot kernel, it shows :

Code:
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
mmc1(part 0) is current device
FRED::: EXTCSD177=0, 179=48BOOTing from mmc ...

MMC read: dev # 1, block # 720, count 28672 ... 28672 blocks read in 320 msec: OK

MMC read: dev # 1, block # 520, count 256 ... 256 blocks read in 6 msec: OK
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >

what should I do? thanks for any advice
cxg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxg2014 View Post
Now it can't boot kernel, it shows :

Code:
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
FRED::: EXTCSD177=0, 179=48BOOTing from mmc ...

MMC read: dev # 1, block # 720, count 28672 ... 28672 blocks read in 320 msec: OK

MMC read: dev # 1, block # 520, count 256 ... 256 blocks read in 6 msec: OK
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
what should I do? thanks for any advice
You should now congratulate yourself on proving that 'erase all' does exactly what the label says.
What else did you expect it to do?

Now learn how to use the 'search' features and 'prefix filter' features of this forum if the various sticky topic threads do not help you. Threads like "Where do I start?"
Solutions to your situation are well documented and described here.

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2017 at 06:53 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
cxg2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You should now congratulate yourself on proving that 'erase all' does exactly what the label says.
What else did you expect it to do?

Now learn how to use the 'search' features and 'prefix filter' features of this forum if the various sticky topic threads do not help you. Threads like "Where do I start?"
Solutions to your situation are well documented and described here.

I'm tring to use fastboot tool to flash kernel, but whatever I do, it always shows me that:

Code:
PS C:\Users\cxgre\Downloads\fastboot_win_public (1)> .\fastboot.exe pass
turning on led...
FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.001s
PS C:\Users\cxgre\Downloads\fastboot_win_public (1)>
Old 06-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where are the directions that you are following?
Advert
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
cxg2014

Um...use fastboot to flash https://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images...kernel_main.gz to my kindle..but it seems like I can't using fastboot flash command on my computer..always shows me that "FAILED (command write failed (No error))"
Old 06-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Um...use fastboot to flash https://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images...kernel_main.gz to my kindle..but it seems like I can't using fastboot flash command on my computer..always shows me that "FAILED (command write failed (No error))"
Why are you attempting to flash a Kindle Touch kernel image to an 8th generation Kindle? You need to use the correct kernel for your device. Picking a random one isn't going to work!

Tell us the first 4 digits of your Kindle's serial number. That will allow us to identify which model you have.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
@cxg2014: Is boot completely not possible or a Diags boot is possible??
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ah, so -
You ARE NOT following any of our directions, your making them up as you go along.

Follow one of our "Recovery from Erase All" posted guides if you want help here, we only have time to support our own work.

1) It is a good thing that fast boot fails, since you are trying to flash the wrong kernel/system image files.

2) You can't fastboot install a 'main' filesystem image, it is too big.

3) You should install diags kernel and system, the set for your device.

4) Determine which 8th. generation device you have.
You really, really, really need that information.
Note: For an 8th. generation device, we require the first six characters of the device's serial number (not just the first four as advised above).

5) Find, read and study one of our step-by-step guides to fixing this situation.
If you do that, then we can help you.

Otherwise we have no idea what all you have done, and attempting to offer help in an unknown situation is just a waste of our time and yours.

And as you have discovered, just one wrong entry (picking 'erase all') can make a very big difference.

PS: And if you do that, you will discover why your fastboot commands are failing and where to get the current, correct, system image and kernel to use.

@baalajimaestro: "Erase All" means: "everything"
Although some things get restored in the process, the secondary OS is not one of them.

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
cxg2014

S/N: G000K9056*******

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
cxg2014

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by cxg2014; 06-24-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Thanks for your help!
The local nickname of that device is: KT3 (Black).

You need to use the most recent KindleTool build, found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

u-boot, kernel and file system image for the 'main' OS -
Go to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Scroll down to Step #7, open the spoiler, in the section "KT3" download the Amazon update package for the firmware version you want to install.
Of the versions that can be jailbroken, you have 4 choices.
Plus another 3 choices of version that can not be jailbroken, which does not matter since you already have a serial port connection setup.
Those other 3 choices are not listed, just copy the URL of the most recent one listed, then change the version number string in the URL to your choice of 5.8.8, 5.8.9 or 5.8.9.2

Use the copy of KindleTool you just down loaded to convert the Amazon update package to a compressed archive, where you can find the files mentioned above.

Go to this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269099
Those are the instructions to recover from the 'erase all' situation.
It is a bit wordy, since we (MadMAXXX and I) had to invent the process as we went along.
And it will have some off topic posts in it that you can ignore.
For a clear picture of what to expect, open and read the attachments (log files).

Be certain you are using the "Kindle Special" fastboot client.
The start of its description is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2000997
follow along in the remaining posts of that thread to be sure you get the most recent build posted.
That will be for 32-bit Windows.
There is also a build for Linux somewhere here, if you need that instead, search for it.

When done, you will have a working KT3 with only the 'main' OS installed, no secondary ('diags') OS (the Kindles are dual system boot devices).
When you have all of that done according to the description, PM me and I will figure out how you can get your hands on a KT3 'diags' kernel and filesystem image.

Unless you want to do something really strange, like install google chromebook as the secondary OS.
In that case your on your own.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
cxg2014

I think I fall in love with you~Haha~Thank you very much
Old 06-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
cxg2014

I get uImage file now, but when I tried to execute 'fastboot flash kernel uImage', it shows that:
Code:
Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I get uImage file now, but when I tried to execute 'fastboot flash kernel uImage', it shows that:
Code:
You really need to provide context with your reports.
We can't guess at what all you have done outside of what you write.

You still owe us some answers that you have not posted yet.

You don't tell us the link that you pulled the version of fastboot from that you are using and if you built it from source or are using a binary.

You still have given us no idea of whose directions you are following or what your final objective is.

Note: You can't be doing something that will result in closed source code if you expect help from the members of this forum.
It is a very simple to understand exchange:
You share with us and we share with you or you just go away and don't waste our time on your private, personal problem.

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Tags
recover