Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Another thing that might be an issue is that you have your <reference> as a two-part empty tag, rather than a self contained <reference />. I know it seems silly, but KindleGen can be really picky about the dumbest things sometimes.
I'd almost be willing to bet that's it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I am with ATDrake.

Here are portions from my publications:

html file: <a name="toc"/> ... <a name="start"/> ...

opf file (UTF-8): <guide>
<reference type="start" title="Startup Page" href="name.html%23start"></reference>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="name.html%23toc"></reference></guide>

I've also noticed that using the High Compression in Mobipocket Creator screws the starting position sometimes.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd almost be willing to bet that's it.
In my case it works. See above.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #19
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks ATDrake. I'll experiment with your suggestions.
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #20
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
You're using "type='text' " twice in your OPF guide, cyberbaffled. That type defines the "start reading" location, so you're defining two "start reading" locations - there should only be one. The only guide items that kindle recognises (I'm not sure about other MOBI ebook readers) are "cover", "toc" (for an HTML table of contents which is part of the book content) and "text" (defining the "start reading" point in the content).

Edit to add: Kindlegen will also accept "type='start' " as defining the "start reading" location, but "text" is what is in the EPUB specification, and Kindlegen clearly accepts it also. I know I've used it without any problem when creating MOBI files.

Last edited by DMSmillie; 12-24-2010 at 03:04 AM.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #21
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Smile

Here's the resolution of this problem: (1) there's no tag with the id="start" required in the bookname.html file; (2) if what's sought is the book opening in Kindle Preview at the location "_RWtoc-0" plus one menu item for that location in the "GO TO" menu, then there should be one reference element in the .opf file "Guide" section with this form: <reference type="text" title="" href="filename.html#_RWTOC-0"></reference>. This reference element results in the GO TO menu item "Beginning" being the same as the book-open location. If a "title" is specified -for example, Start Here- then the GO TO menu will include a "Start Here" item which specifies the same location as the "Beginning" item;
(3) if additional GO TO items are wanted, then what's required is .opf file Guide elements with the form: <reference type="anything" title="anything" href="bookname.html#anything"></reference>. The presence of a Guide element of type "<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="toc.html"></reference>" is entirely independent of the above considerations. Of course, it adds a TOC element to the GO TO menu. If the Kindlegen or Kindle Publishers guides say anything other than this, they're mistaken.

Last edited by cyberbaffled; 12-26-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

duplicate entry

Last edited by cyberbaffled; 12-27-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
willthethrill521
M!77!@W
willthethrill521 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
<a id="start" name="Beginning" />

<reference type="text" title="Beginning" href="NavigatingManifoldM5.html#start"></reference>
Thank you cyberbaffled! this seems to be working the best.
willthethrill521 is offline   Reply With Quote